Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bill Gates just challenged Elon Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ow.
One of my longest-and-strongest old friends, my geology and Ski Team rival from undergrad days and stationed in Whitehorse, Yukon ever since leaving college, now is wasting away with ALS. In many ways it is the saddest thing I have had to experience in my life, as it is far, far crueler than death, and he such a bear of an outdoorsman/athlete.

Apparently he has already done it. Waiting for video to be uploaded.

IceBucketChallenge.PNG

ALS (Lou Geherig's disease) is an extremely cruel disease, we watch a friend die a few years back and it troubled my wife to start a local ALS group to support the people and families in their fight against the disease. In our town of 45,000 she has raised over $600,000 with our annual walks (Walk to D'feat ALS - We walk because we can) and has now performed two bucket challenges. If this helps to gain a cure this would be great.

What is especially hard to take on ALS is that a large number of cases are preventable. It is no accident that football players, soccer players at higher risk most likely secondary to head trauma. Even Lou Gehrig with frequent beaning by opposing pitchers. Not all cases with known head trauma but who hasn't hit there head at some point. Watching World Cup with the heading of balls shows we are not doing much to avoid this risk. Kids in school as well playing tackle football. Now more awareness of concussions and waiting for healing, but is that enough?

Video of Musk getting the bucket :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

What is especially hard to take on ALS is that a large number of cases are preventable. It is no accident that football players, soccer players at higher risk most likely secondary to head trauma. Even Lou Gehrig with frequent beaning by opposing pitchers. Not all cases with known head trauma but who hasn't hit there head at some point. Watching World Cup with the heading of balls shows we are not doing much to avoid this risk. Kids in school as well playing tackle football. Now more awareness of concussions and waiting for healing, but is that enough?

Experts in the field do not agree that head trauma is the known cause of most cases of ALS. Could be, but the research has not demonstrated that yet.