Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Such a disappointment... I am taking delivery in 5 weeks. I wanted to buy the 4 year extended warranty (basically 8 years upfront) in advance. I read somewhere on the forums here about owners that had issues with cars that totaled. I asked my Tesla rep and he told me absolutely no refund under any circumstance. If my car is going to be stolen, of totaled during the initial warranty, I paid for something I will never be able to enjoy and Tesla will not refund me the money.

This suck! I am a believer in warranty and so far, it always served me right. Tesla can cancel the extended warranty any time they choose to or bump up the price significantly. I figure a lot can go wrong in 8 years and so far, the ownership experience is 2.5 year old (correct me if I'm wrong).

I am on the fence. Shall I take the chance and buy additional warranty toward the end of the original one, or buy in advance?

What did you do?

As for buying service in advance, I think I'll skip this. I will just pay as I go.

Thoughts?

Such a disappointment... I am taking delivery in 5 weeks. I wanted to buy the 4 year extended warranty (basically 8 years upfront) in advance. I read somewhere on the forums here about owners that had issues with cars that totaled. I asked my Tesla rep and he told me absolutely no refund under any circumstance. If my car is going to be stolen, of totaled during the initial warranty, I paid for something I will never be able to enjoy and Tesla will not refund me the money.

This suck! I am a believer in warranty and so far, it always served me right. Tesla can cancel the extended warranty any time they choose to or bump up the price significantly. I figure a lot can go wrong in 8 years and so far, the ownership experience is 2.5 year old (correct me if I'm wrong).

I am on the fence. Shall I take the chance and buy additional warranty toward the end of the original one, or buy in advance?

What did you do?

As for buying service in advance, I think I'll skip this. I will just pay as I go.

Thoughts?
2 things to think about, do you keep your cars for 8 years or longer and have you totaled a car before. Do not know why you would worry about that, slim chance that would happen. I purchased both the service contract and extended warranty mostly because this is new technology and no track record to go by for reliability and probably most items are expensive to repair.

Such a disappointment... I am taking delivery in 5 weeks. I wanted to buy the 4 year extended warranty (basically 8 years upfront) in advance. I read somewhere on the forums here about owners that had issues with cars that totaled...

I think you're referring to the service plan and the OP in that thread had his money refunded after his car was totalled. A service plan and extended warranty are two totally different things.

An extended warranty is basically an insurance plan. No vehicle manufacturer refunds your money for an extended warranty if your car is totalled. That's part of the risk you take in assessing whether to purchase it. It basically comes down to your financially situation as to whether it's worth purchasing it. If a significant repair is something that you really can't afford than you may wish to purchase it.

It is my understanding that we can purchase the Extended Warranty before the initial 4 years is up. However, we have 3 months after delivery to purchase the service plans, and none of it is refundable. I wonder if the service plans are transferrable in case your car IS totaled.

What did you do?

Thoughts?

First, I don't plan on totaling my car so that aspect is a non-issue. I can't base my decision on the occurrence of such a rare, low probability event. That is a worst case scenario that does not happen to the vast majority of drivers. If it happens, well then it happens.

I bought the extended warranty last year when it was $2,500, so for me it was a drop in the proverbial bucket to get long term peace of mind.

Wow, what great news! I am so excited to learn about Tesla backing their drive units for 8 years unlimited miles! Seems to me Elon is a fierce business man with a passion to his vision that make me smile with admiration. This news set my mind to put off the extended warranty. I will take my chance and get it later if I think it's necessary. The drive unit was my biggest concern.

Thank you all for the replies. Just wanted to clear a point I made before. No, I'm not planning to total my car. A totaled car is not necessary the result of, god forbid a crush. Less than 2 years ago I had a front view, glass wall (which I thought will cave on me), overseeing the Hudson river during hurricane Sandy. Many cars parishes on that night. Trees sometimes fall on cars. You get my point, anything can happen. Another commented: "An extended warranty is basically an insurance plan. No vehicle manufacturer refunds your money for an extended warranty if your car is totalled. That's part of the risk you take in assessing whether to purchase it.". I'm sorry, I disagree. Some extended warranties are sold by third party and of course they don't care. But here, it's Tesla we're talking about. Remember? nothing in the middle, no dealers, no third party. I don't see it as an insurance policy. I see it as a statement of a car manufacturer believing in his product. I am sure Tesla is not betting on loosing from those warranties. This raise an ethical concern. Just think about it. If you are offering up to a month before the end of the initial 4 years to buy another 4, and a customer want to pay up front for the service, why wouldn't he get a refund if he will not have a car to enjoy this warranty?

If Tesla would make a change to the current policy of profiteering out of the potential misfortune of their customers (whatever small percentage it may be); If the extended warranty is to be refunded in the event the car is gone, before it even kicks in, I would buy it in a heart beat. Even if the balance on it was transferable to a new Tesla , I would have buy it too. I think it's just fair and just.

I love the fact Tesla stand behind their product. A change in their policy as mentioned above, will promote a superior customer experience and provide a bold statement of confidence. My current ride is a Toyota Tacoma. When I purchased it new, the sale person sold me a Toyota extended warranty. Do you want to hear what sold me on it? At the time the extended warranty will expire, if I made no claim, I will be refunded the cost of the warranty. I thought to myself, wow, Toyota really believe in their vehicles...

Happy about the extended warranty on the drive train, but I already purchased the extended warranty last year when I bought my S. Seems a little unfair and I am hoping that Tesla will extend my warranty another 4 years for 12 years total. Although my experience so far is that there are no problems with the drive train and battery anyway (but that is always what you worry about). The problems that I have had are little stuff like the windshield wipers and tail lights. Whatever happens, it really cool that the original deal that I made on the car keeps getting better. More superchargers, extended warranty, software updates, and armored plate underneath. This investment is looking better every day, plus my confidence in the car is growing everyday as well. 16 months without a visit to a gas station and counting.

Since Tesla extended the drivetrain warranty I would assume they might drop the extended warranty back to the original $2500 price (which I purchased it at). At that price point it becomes much easier to justify even taking into account the exclusions and deductibles.

Since Tesla extended the drivetrain warranty I would assume they might drop the extended warranty back to the original $2500 price (which I purchased it at). At that price point it becomes much easier to justify even taking into account the exclusions and deductibles.

Agreed! I paid $2,500 last year, I probably would not have paid $4,000. Those that did pay $4,000 should be given the option of receiving a $1,500 upgrade or retrofit credit from Tesla.

$2500 is a lot easier to justify than $4000--especially when you say that your going to run service on a break-even basis. Like Amped, I got mine before the price increase.

This has been sitting on my mind for a while. With the drive train warranty, I'll probably not get the 4k with deductible extended warranty, but I do have until 50,000 miles to decide. I still think there are numerous things that can go wrong with the car that I would want an extended warranty for (chargers, charge port, door handles, displays, trunk, parking sensors, etc), but the deductible is really tilting me away.

What did you do?

Thoughts?

Most car extended warrantys work this way so thats not unusual. Tesla lets you buy it all the way up to the end of the original warranty so i'd definitely recommend buying just before you lose the option and not early. Other than that you have to think if you need the coverage. The battery and motor are good to go if you have a 85, the rest depends.

Fear no more! Look what I received in the mail. This seems like an excellent option to extend our warranties... Just imagine, $3357 for a new transmission or $4722 for an engine...

Doc - Mar 21, 2015, 15-11.jpg