Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hong Kong 3G telematics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone noticed that all our data is being channeled through a German proxy server or something? go to http://www.whatismyip.com and you will get the below image. It says we have a German IP and I have noticed whenever I start the web browser and go to Google, it automatically detects that I am from Germany and the Google interface is in German language.

(I am no IT expert, just wondering if anyone knows what this all means)

photo.JPG

Really? Doesn't it cost them more to have an EU SIM and roam to HK? Are we allow to put in our own to speed things up?

Lately, whilst listing on the internet radio or steaming from the Rdio service, I noticed the buffering more than the first few days when we got the car (even during the middle of playing, it cuts out a lot)

Bottom line is that currently the sim comes with the car, and is controlled by Tesla. No choice. If you want to roam, the solution seems to be to get a mobile hotspot wifi and tell the car to use that.

Last edited:
The sim card is accessible, and most likely replaceable with a local sim. It's hidden in a small module under the glass compartment under the 17 inch screen, but do not suggest to operate this on your own. Also heard the cell module is factory upgradeable (to LTE/4G etc) in the future.