Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wouldn't it be a cool feature..if

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the trunk of the Model S there is a storage compartment where the optional 3rd row seats stow away. Wouldn't it be cool if there was an option to have that compartment converted to a 2nd battery location?

Maybe a modular battery back - since lifting up and placing a battery pack that size would be way too heavy. Seems like the space there and the current size of the battery pack - you could maybe add an additional 10kw of battery. It would be perfect for road trips where range might be an issue. Even an extra 30 or 40 miles of range could make it worth it. And the total weight probably wouldn't be more than having a backseat passenger.

Then of course you have the little cubbyhole area in the the frunk.

Even for just a couple thousand - I think there would be a market for it.

Seems like cooling might be an issue - but probably could be resolved.

Has anyone else thought of this?

In the trunk of the Model S there is a storage compartment where the optional 3rd row seats stow away. Wouldn't it be cool if there was an option to have that compartment converted to a 2nd battery location?

Maybe a modular battery back - since lifting up and placing a battery pack that size would be way too heavy. Seems like the space there and the current size of the battery pack - you could maybe add an additional 10kw of battery. It would be perfect for road trips where range might be an issue. Even an extra 30 or 40 miles of range could make it worth it. And the total weight probably wouldn't be more than having a backseat passenger.

I'm curious - do you own a parcel shelf?

I don't have a parcel shelf so I like that little covered storage area and would prefer to keep it. I'm all for more battery capacity but would rather see Tesla come out with a 100+kWh battery upgrade. Anything to reduce number of stops at SuperChargers on long drives would be helpful.

I'm curious - do you own a parcel shelf?

I don't have a parcel shelf so I like that little covered storage area and would prefer to keep it. I'm all for more battery capacity but would rather see Tesla come out with a 100+kWh battery upgrade. Anything to reduce number of stops at SuperChargers on long drives would be helpful.

I am still waiting. Late September delivery. But I can't get the Model S out of my head. Can't find enough content online to fill thirst for stories and information.

I will have the parcel shelf - as it is standard now.

I just thought that space would be an ideal spot for an upgrade like that. Especially if it was something that could be taken in and out at home. Use it when you really need it. I drive from Los Angeles to Vegas a lot - and seems that little boost in range would make that a non-stop trip.

It would require a redesign of the car and likely a machine to lift the heavy batter pack out of the trunk.

I agree. Finding a way to add more range to the existing battery pack is likely easier and cheaper.

So, design an external battery for 'even just a couple thousand' that
  • Is modular so you can deal with the weight,
  • 10kWh,
  • Fits in the little cubbyhole up front,
  • Cooling could probably be resolved,
  • Won't compromise safety of passengers during an accident by pushing into the passenger compartment

Ummmmmmm, no? Why would you do that, when you can just stop at a supercharger? And why would a 10kWh battery with a modular design and eternal cooling and all that be cheaper per kWh than the battery you currently buy?

I think when I see a suggestion for either an external battery or small generator, that people are still worrying about range. That worry will go away very soon after taking the car on a few road trips. It's understandable, I think almost everyone here on the forum had that initial concern.

It would require a redesign of the car and likely a machine to lift the heavy batter pack out of the trunk.

I agree. Finding a way to add more range to the existing battery pack is likely easier and cheaper.

Just seems like if they made it modular and self substantiating in terms of cooling. Then all you need is a wire / connection to add on to the existing power pack. I agree one box of batteries to set in there would be way too heavy. But what if it was 5 -6 pieces that fit / slid into a holder. Each part weighing 20-30lbs. That would potentially be 100-200lbs of batteries. No idea - just brainstorming. I know if I could add 50 miles of range - and it cost an extra 2-4K - I would probably do it. Especially if it I could take it in and out as needed. Sorta like the hard top I have for my 1999 M3 convertible. I rarely use it - but when I do - it is so nice.

Just seems like if they made it modular and self substantiating in terms of cooling. Then all you need is a wire / connection to add on to the existing power pack. I agree one box of batteries to set in there would be way too heavy. But what if it was 5 -6 pieces that fit / slid into a holder. Each part weighing 20-30lbs. That would potentially be 100-200lbs of batteries. No idea - just brainstorming. I know if I could add 50 miles of range - and it cost an extra 2-4K - I would probably do it. Especially if it I could take it in and out as needed. Sorta like the hard top I have for my 1999 M3 convertible. I rarely use it - but when I do - it is so nice.

The problem is you're talking a huge design effort, including dealing with a safety issue of something that heavy directly in front of the passenger compartment in event of an accident. There is no way it would be $2-4k. Plus, you'd need to maintain the battery at home when out of your car or ruin your investment. Just seems like a lot of effort and cost for something that isn't needed.

Think of it this way ... do you carry a container of gasoline along with you on road trips, just in case you need it?

In the time it takes to put the battery in the car of your trip, you can probably add the same amount of range at a SuperCharger.....for free.

I am not trying to justify its use. I drive to vegas 7-8 times a year. Normally non stop or a quick stop in Baker. Either way I have read many stories of drives showing up in Barstow to find all the spots taken adding 30 minutes before you can even plug in. I am sure it is not going to get any better as there are more and more Model S's hitting the roads.

I am just saying - if there was an option - 2-4K even 5K that would add range - I would pay for it. My thoughts were that there is so much cargo space - more than I would need most times. So why not make that space available to adding additional range capacity.

As for the other post - No - when I drive my current ICE vehicles I don't bring extra gas with me to extend my range. Unless I am going to go off roading in the desert - Obviously that is not needed. Because there is a gas station on every corner. There are only so many superchargers. I have have read so many stories of people driving with the AC turned off with it 100+ degrees in the cabin terrified of not making it to Barstow.

Maybe more stalls in Barstow and a supercharger in Primm solves all of my concerns. But still - I don't think I am the only one that would pay extra for 50 miles of range even if it costs us some cargo space.

You'd need to be able to get charge from the frunk battery to the system or main battery in a safe, well-managed way at a reasonable rate. I just don't see it.

Yeah - everyone's points are completely valid. That is why my original post was "wouldn't it be cool if...."

For sure there are design challenges, practicality issues, cost concerns - but I don't think it is impossible. Technically I don't think it would be much more than adding some cabling and tying into the current battery system. Much like my solar system at home - I paid a mint to get it installed 5 years ago. I saw how they did it and realized how easy the whole project was. I added on an additional 10 panels to my system on a weekend DIY project. Each solar panel is essentially a battery, with micro inverters - it is all just daisy chain....plug and play.

I am sure back when they first started designing the Model S - someone said "would't it be cool if instead of big bulky batteries, we make one giant flat slab of a battery that sat on the bottom of the car that was hot swap-able " and there were all kinds of design challenges, practicality issues, and cost concerns... Heck even Tesla under estimated the demand for range that would never be needed. They started with a 40kw version - but the today the vast majority of purchasers opt for the 85kw version even though for daily driving they will NEVER need that much capacity.

For those of us that buy into the 85kw version, or even the 60kw version - the prospects of a total battery upgrade is years away and even then might be very cost prohibitive - considering it would require replacing the entire battery not adding on to it. The thought of using the cargo space that is rarely used to add 50 miles of range makes sense to me..... and again - these are all just ideas / dreams of what could be next....

Interesting idea.

Not needed - in my opinion.

The Model S has the largest battery and largest range of all electric cars available today. It is the only car with a turbo-fast charging system aka Supercharger. It also happens to be one of the fastest electric cars on the market (THE fastest?).

I am not trying to justify its use. I drive to vegas 7-8 times a year. Normally non stop or a quick stop in Baker. Either way I have read many stories of drives showing up in Barstow to find all the spots taken adding 30 minutes before you can even plug in. I am sure it is not going to get any better as there are more and more Model S's hitting the roads.
This too shall pass. It will get better. In fact, it's already getting better.

bonnie said:
Think of it this way ... do you carry a container of gasoline along with you on road trips, just in case you need it?
If my car had half the size fuel tank it does now I sure would... and that's about the range the Model S gets.

The Model S doesn't have enough range for many people. Sure it's enough for a lot, but not for all. So until they manage to match range to your average ICE vehicle this suggestion will just keep coming up again and again in these posts.

I don't think Tesla should do as suggested here for many reasons, but "you already have enough range" or "just stop at the supercharger (that may not exist on the route you are planning on taking)" are not valid reasons.