Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Three-wheeled Elio gets closer to going on sale( 84 MPG $6800)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RobStark

Jul 2, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
ROYAL OAK, Mich. (AP) -- .

Phoenix-based Elio plans to start making the cars next fall at a former General Motors plant in Shreveport, Louisiana. Already, more than 27,000 people have reserved one. Elio hopes to make 250,000 cars a year by 2016. That's close to the number Mazda sells in the U.S.

Because it has three wheels - two in front and one in the rear - the Elio is actually classified as a motorcycle by the U.S. government. But Elio Motors founder Paul Elio says the vehicle has all the safety features of a car, like anti-lock brakes, front and side air bags and a steel cage that surrounds the occupants. Drivers won't be required to wear helmets or have motorcycle licenses.

That's partly because its two front wheels stick out by a foot on both sides, aiding balance and preventing the vehicle from tipping. The Elio has a three-cylinder, 0.9-liter engine and a top speed of more than 100 miles per hour. It gets an estimated 84 mpg on the highway and 49 mpg in city driving.

Elio will also save money by selling the cars directly through its own stores and not through franchised dealers, similar to electric car maker Tesla Motors. Elio plans stores in 60 major metropolitan areas. They'll be serviced by car repair chain Pep Boys.

The company has also applied for a $185 million advanced vehicle development loan from the U.S. Department of Energy.

Eventually, though, he believes the car will appeal to high school and college students as well as used-car drivers who want something newer and more reliable. He also hopes to eventually export it to other countries.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-08-15-03-22-11

Paul says he could make an electric version for a small premium later on if demand warranted it.

And it's $24k, which makes it cool and not purchased.

The Elio's intriguing, but since in Maine you need a motorcycle endorsement and you can't get it in the Elio, I have no interest in getting one.
Yeah, I'd like to see proof that "Drivers won't be required to wear helmets or have motorcycle licenses." You can't have it both ways - either it's a motorcycle or its a car.

You would need a motorcycle endorsement on your license. Can-Am has had their three wheel Spyder on the market for a while. Depending upon what state you are in, you can get your motorcycle license on the Spyder (Kansas is one such state). I'm pretty sure that some states put a "three wheel restriction" on the motorcycle license until you pass on a "real" motorcycle. All these rules should transfer over to the Elio.

You can check your state's licensing rules (in relation to the Can-Am Spyder at least) at Can-Am Spyder Licensing by Can-Am Spyder US.

The difference between the Can Am Spyder and the Elio is that the Spyder does NOT have a cage around it. The Spyder is a motorcycle with an extra wheel. The Elio is a car minus one wheel, if you take my meaning. That could make all the difference in the world when it comes to regulations.