Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it worth buying the J1772 adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you had a J1772 station in your garage for compatibility with other EVs, it might be worth leaving the adapter that comes with your car in the garage and buying an extra to keep in the car. But otherwise, just use the one that came with the car.

The J1772 adapter is definitely a nice backup to have in case you get in a bind and need a public charger... they're everywhere. They're slow, but they can definitely save you.

Not all J's are slow. I helped put 70A, 240V J1772 adapters in Pagosa Springs, CO and Salida, CO, the Sun Country Highway J's are usually 70 or 80 Amps, and Delaware is installing 80 Amp J's in several key locations.

Not all J's are slow. I helped put 70A, 240V J1772 adapters in Pagosa Springs, CO and Salida, CO, the Sun Country Highway J's are usually 70 or 80 Amps, and Delaware is installing 80 Amp J's in several key locations.
And lets not forget Plug-In North Central Washington. They have put in a number of CS-90s (70A) in tourism areas of the North Cascades. In fact, I'm going to be using several of them this weekend.

This is all proving that individuals and small organizations and businesses can do a better job of making travel EV friendly than big government programs. Thanks to everyone who donated money, time or energy to the cause. It's making a difference!

We've been visiting our daughter in LA the past few weeks to help with our new grandson. In addition to the Hawthorne SC, which is about 10 miles away, we have found two free chargers, including free parking between her home in Mid-Wilshire and UCLA, where our granddaughter goes to childcare. The first is the indoor public lot in Beverly Hills on Beverly Dr. There are two charges which require a J1772 adaptor (which I always keep in the car). You have to call a toll free number and give the charger code number and they turn on the charger for you. Worked fine - about 32 miles/hr. We got about 50 miles of charge while shopping. The second was at Whole Foods in Westwood. You can use either of the two chargers (both near the store entrance - on opposite sides) and again use the J1772 at 32 miles/hour. You are allowed to charge while shopping, up to two hours. There is a third free charger (I think it is free) at the employee lot of Room and Board in Culver City. There are two spaces, but only one charger, which was being used. The attendant let me park in the other EV spot, even though I couldn't charge, while we were shopping and having lunch.

In running errands, we are typically using 50-100 miles of range on the car each day. Charging at their home at 120V, we can get about 3 miles/hr, or about 50-60 miles of charge a day. We can get by with just that, most of the time, but it definitely helps to have free charging from different places. Other than at Room and Board, we have yet to have to wait to get a charging space, even at the popular Hawthorne SC.

BTW, the LA Santa Monica Service Center has nice free snacks and drinks in their waiting room, better than Fremont.