Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any minor/major problems with vehicles produced in 2014?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand that the model that Consumer Report reviewed was an early version, and there's bound to be many growing pains for first-run models. And Tesla is continuing to fix little problems that come up, even retroactively. While it's respectable that Tesla's customer service is doing a great job of quenching any problems that arise, but when I buy a 100k machine, I don't expect it to drive into the service center every few months to get something fixed.
So, if the problems of earlier versions are fixed, have the owners of 2014-built version came across any problems that required a trip to the service center?

I keep forgetting to turn off and take the key from my ICE, i leave it running, and walk away, and go back thinking what a stupid car it is. Love The Rocket. That,s my best answer. When i get new firmware, the car just gets smarter and better. Any small problems are forgotten behind the T E S L A grin, i drank the kool-aid 18 months ago, and i still love my car.

I agree the newer ones are likely better on average; but you may be over-estimating the problems that even the early ones have. Of course, like any car from any manufacturer, there are some that have numerous problems, and of course you hear about them (true for any car, but especially true for new tech). But the only problem I've had that needed fixing was the door handles - I have VIN 112, I and I think they really have replaced a majority of the door handles from the early models. And that was no emergency; we could still easily get in and out of the car.

Everything else they've done is something that didn't need to be done at all, and in fact on other cars I wouldn't have bothered asking a dealer to look at. Mostly quieting things down - like the sunroof and the HVAC. That may have been all that I've asked for; they have proactively replaced a couple of other things that worked fine, but they thought might cause a future problem. You generally don't have to drive it in regularly; they can just take care of it when you do the annual service. In fact my second annual service will be in a couple of weeks - and they will valet a loaner to me, so I don't have to drive in at all. The rotated my tires last year; this time they will put on new ones. I just have everything done at once. This has been no burden at all.

Of course nobody can guarantee what YOUR experience will be, but I think that's probably how it is for the majority. I'm not claiming Tesla's failure rate is better than others; I just think in most modern cars the failure rate is so low that many people overthink the issue - they think it is higher than it is after listening to a series of anecdotes. People ask this sort of question in all car forums. With any make you might get a lemon, but very likely you'll have a good solid vehicle.

After re-reading this, it could sound like I'm scolding you for asking the question. That is not my intent at all; it's a reasonable question and you asked it very politely. I'm just trying to indicate that you will most likely be satisfied with this aspect if you take the plunge. If I were you I'd spend most of my time making sure it fits in my garage and budget, making sure I have capacity to install an EVSE, and making sure it's suitable for my driving needs. You are not likely to regret your purchase (the Model S has the highest customer satisfaction rating ever recorded); but if you do I suspect one of those issues will far more likely be the cause.

Anecdotal, but I stopped by the local service center today to drop some stuff off, was chatting, & sitting in their swivel chair behind the desk acting all official (tough life, here) ... looked at the computer screen in front of me and said 'hey, nothing on your service calendar!'. And there wasn't. Everyone grinned. All the little stuff just seems to gone.

I had an early VIN P85 that was a bit of a nightmare and had the opportunity to trade up to a P+, the difference has been night and day! Tesla has made dramatic improvements since the early vins. my P+ is early compared to now, in the 15,000 VIN range, and already they had apparently solved the issues. with the first car the shop knew me by name, since getting the later VIN 12,000 miles ago the only thing I've gone back for is getting add ons like all weather mats. Consumer reports and Edmonds need to start over with a current model year to really get a feel for where Tesla is at at this point, the relevance of their testing is quickly getting out moded.

Anecdotal, but I stopped by the local service center today to drop some stuff off, was chatting, & sitting in their swivel chair behind the desk acting all official (tough life, here) ... looked at the computer screen in front of me and said 'hey, nothing on your service calendar!'. And there wasn't. Everyone grinned. All the little stuff just seems to gone.

while I am waiting for my annual....? San Rafael is still slammed
I still have lots of the 'little' stuff to be fixed

car is awesome + I really like having a '12 vs a '14. didn't care for the '13 loaner I had last year. my car felt more solid

Last edited:
Picked up my S85 in late June 2014(2,000 miles). One minor issue, car would not charge above 30 amps. Car still charged but not at the 40 amp rate. I brought it into the SC at my convenience and they replaced the master charger. Had fun with a new Tesla loaner for the day (it had a few options I did not get - confirmed I made right choices). All good since. No other issues.

Last edited:
My car is a Feb 13 S85 car. I have had to have some things done, but am still very pleased with the car. When ever I had any issues, Tesla came out and either fixed them at my home or work, or took the car in and provided me with a Model S loaner.

I was quite proud of myself for remembering remotely to lock when leaving the Cadillac loaner I had when getting the titanium underbelly installed. Came back to discover I'd left the engine running.

As to issues with my March '14 car, now with >7000 miles, I had a minor problem with the pano roof not closing all the way sometimes, making noise at speed. Now fixed. That's it. I'd call it perfect.

Last edited:
I was quite proud of myself for remembering remotely to lock when leaving the Cadillac loaner I had when getting the titanium underbelly installed. Came back to discover I'd left the engine running.

As to issues with my March '14 car, now with >7000 miles, I had a minor problem with the pano roof not closing all the way sometimes, making noise at speed. Now fixed. That's it. I'd call it perfect.

What caused the pano roof not to close all the way?

I have a late June model, and the car has been in for service twice. The first time was just pending stuff from the due bill -- minor paint and interior issues we found during delivery. The second time was this week, to fix the A/C hamster wheel noise other new owners reported as well.

...don't quit your day job...:). FWIW, service appointments still pushed out a bit in the SF area (e.g. Palo Alto)...not quite as lonely as the Maytag repairman yet...

I have a 2012 model and have had a few issues - nothing that stranded me, just annoyances. They are all resolved and nothing for the last 6 months. Besides, each time I took it in I got to drive a P85/P85+ for a day or two - sometimes I hope for a glitch ;)

My car was built in Feb '13. The only major issue in almost 30K miles was the main charger failed--and even that didn't strand me except for a couple of hours while Tesla replaced it. This is far better than the VW TDI that had to be towed before it hit 30K miles and twice more before I got rid of it (battery, engine, lights, windows all failed during my ownership period--and that wasn't all). I consider my Model S to be very reliable.

May 2014 delivery. The only thing I would consider a trip to a service center for is the p*ss-poor XM radio reception. I remember reading on the delivery checklist that one owner's antenna was grounded to painted bodywork from the factory, resulting in lousy reception (though I think that was just for regular AM/FM, which aren't great in my car either). I hope this is the case with my S, but I doubt it. (XM reception has always been horrible in my region, but on the Model S it is truly appalling!)

Since I'm over 1500 miles from the nearest service center, I think I can wait to have the radio checked.

Nothing else serious enough to report. (yet)