Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waiting to order BUT....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has said nothing about when those features will be available, if ever. It seems very likely that they will be available, at some point . Your guess is as good as mine. My guess is sometime in 2015.

Good luck with your wait, and sorry to hear about your neck problem. What do you drive now that has those features?

Welcome to the forums!

If you are willing to wait, as @ecarfan said, these will be added to the S in 2015 coinciding with the launch of the X that will surely have these features from the get go. By all accounts (and from some insider info), these have been in the works for sometime now.

Sometimes, I wish I had waited another few months (on top of 3 years) for the auto-folding mirrors, parking sensors and heated cloth seats with memory...

Tesla has said nothing about when those features will be available, if ever. It seems very likely that they will be available, at some point . Your guess is as good as mine. My guess is sometime in 2015.

Good luck with your wait, and sorry to hear about your neck problem. What do you drive now that has those features?

I currently drive a Mercedes with all the above features. I know Audi's also have them.

Welcome to the forums!

If you are willing to wait, as @ecarfan said, these will be added to the S in 2015 coinciding with the launch of the X that will surely have these features from the get go. By all accounts (and from some insider info), these have been in the works for sometime now.

Sometimes, I wish I had waited another few months (on top of 3 years) for the auto-folding mirrors, parking sensors and heated cloth seats with memory...

I just saw a YouTube video about the Hidden Menus which included the features. I guess that's a step closer.... Tesla Model S Hidden Menus - YouTube

Welcome to the forums!

gg: got the mirrors, $2200, worth every penny.

I'll miss those features on my current car, but I'm excited about my build and can't wait for my delivery date to get here.

NorCalSJ, welcome to the forums! I've briefly had neck issues in the past but even that little taste gives me much sympathy for you.

Tesla's lack of traditional 'model years' does make it much harder to predict this sort of thing. On the other hand you never know what new improvement may show up with your new Tesla when it finally arrives.

One thing I can guarantee is this: as one or more of these features arrive there will be MUCH cheering and discussion and excitement here and on the official Tesla forums, so keep visiting and chatting and learning in the meantime!

One advantage of never having had any of these driver-assist features is that I don't know what I'm missing, so it will be status quo when the Model S arrives.

On a side note, I've been driving a loaner Lexus for two weeks, and it has BSD in it. To me, it's just ok. However, if I had a bad neck, I'm sure it would be a big plus.

Put this one down as: we don't know.

- We know they're working on an Autopilot,
- Some time ago Elon Musk said they'd have something related to Autopilot to show in about a year, but ...
- there's Elon Musk time and reality
- that could be just a demo, rather than reality
- People expect the full Autopilot hardware to be installed with the basic features you outline implemented, but nobody knows how and when they'll actually implement it.

If you consider them essential, I'd suggest checking
1) when they release the Model X
2) if not included than check every 6 months after that until Tesla has shown it and say "soon"
3) then check every 3 months to see whether it's implemented

Hard rules are good, because it's easy to get sucked into daily checking of stuff related to Tesla.

When we ordered our MS in June of 2012, the one thing we wanted not on their list were parking sensors. At that time the projected wait was about 12 months, and even though there were no promises, we believed there was a good chance to get them by that time. Well the delivery time accelerated and we were notified that we would be getting the car by March 1 (actually mid February). Through the TMC, we found a suitable aftermarket substitute for the parking sensors and went ahead with buying the car. The aftermarket has worked well, though not at the level of the ones that eventually appeared in the Fall.

If these are not negotiable and you don't have a car with them currently, then I would suggest an option would be to lease a car for 24 or 36 months that has these options and then when the lease expires, see whether the MS or MX has them. I don't know whether there are good aftermarket options, but that would be another choice, given that the order time is so much shorter and the odds of getting them in the car as standard or optional equipment is pretty small in the near future.

There is an aftermarket solution for most of those, except the cruise control piece. However mobileye provides something pretty close in that it will disable the cruise, which in turn causes regen to kick on and slow you down if you get too close to something. You will then just need to maintain speed until whatever gets out of the way and you can resume your previous cruise speed.

There is an aftermarket solution for most of those, except the cruise control piece. However mobileye provides something pretty close in that it will disable the cruise, which in turn causes regen to kick on and slow you down if you get too close to something. You will then just need to maintain speed until whatever gets out of the way and you can resume your previous cruise speed.

Has anyone installed it and have real world experience with the product?

Has anyone installed it and have real world experience with the product?

Which? mobileye? yeah, it's pretty awesome. There are videos out there of people with it installed specifically in the Model S. I think you can get it for around 1k (including install). Gives you a lot of cool features, the one thing you will have to get from another solution is the blind spot detection. But I have seen people get that installed from some other manufacturer... I just don't recall the brand off hand.

- - - Updated - - -

Both solutions when installed by a GOOD company, will make it integrated with the car in such a way that it even looks like the car came with it (or pretty close to that)... it doesn't seem so out of place on the car.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/mobileye-worth-it

here you go, read through this thread.

and check out this video:

- - - Updated - - -

and I couldn't find one for the Tesla offhand (but I have seen them installed in them) but here is the blind spot detection added to another car:

Last edited by a moderator:
New to the forum. I have neck issues and waiting to order my Model S but won't order until they incorporate:
-Blind spot detection
-Adaptive cruise
-Lane departure warning

Anyone have any info on this???

Speaking from personal first-hand experience with neck problems (I've had two disks replaced with titanium), I can understand the desire for blind spot detection. But I'm drawing a blank on why adaptive cruise and lane departure warning would be necessary for someone with neck issues.