Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

220V Garage preparation - cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
After long 2 months, I am 5 weeks away from a delivery date. It's time to take 220V garage charging preparation seriously.
I wanted to know what was the cost other Tesla owners had to pay to set a 220V outlet in their garage. I am planning to move out of my current house 10 months from now, and would have to deal with it again. Currently the intended outlet location is about 15 FT from the house main breakers/fues box. Any idea how much this should cost?
Thanks!

Hello,
After long 2 months, I am 5 weeks away from a delivery date. It's time to take 220V garage charging preparation seriously.
I wanted to know what was the cost other Tesla owners had to pay to set a 220V outlet in their garage. I am planning to move out of my current house 10 months from now, and would have to deal with it again. Currently the intended outlet location is about 15 FT from the house main breakers/fues box. Any idea how much this should cost?
Thanks!

Is this a detached garage with the breaker panel in the house or is the breaker panel in the garage?

It's kind of a "how long is a piece of string" question because there are so many variables. Four of the common questions are:

1. Will you be using the HPWC or UMC?
2. How large is your current panel?
3. How long is the run?
4. Will you need a sub-panel?

Depending on the answers is could cost as little as $200 to $300. Or it could be a lot more.

Hello,
Thanks!

I had a NEMA 14-50 installed in my garage I wired for a 100 A service with a plan to upgrade to a HPWC later. Cost me $800 with a fifty foot distance from the breaker. (If I wired for a 50 A service the quote was $400)

Hello,
Thanks!

Given your short timer situation, I would just get a few bids for a 14-50 in a location that is the least expensive install with reasonable connivence for your charging, specify #6 wire to try and avoid the 40 to 30 Amp current reduction. If you are going to put your house up for sale sometime in the next 10 months, you can add to the listing that you have a 14-50, RV 50-Amp outlet for EV charging or powering an RV.

From what you describe, this should not be too many 100's of dollars as long as you have capacity in your home electrical service.

Good Luck!

I just finished my 220 outlet (50A) installation, $300, for my delivery in September (after 20+ years in the house we painted the garage). As Jerry33 stated, how large is your current panel? I actually replaced my panel a few years ago with our house remodel and had ample Amperage as well as slots for the new breaker. Replacing the panel will cost you well over $1500.
I have also purchased the HPWC wall connector to organize my cable ($25), UberEV1's UMCLE bracket for the controller ($40) and Chris TX's replica Tesla sign ($40).

$300 220 V outlet
$ 90 paint
$ 25 replacement wall connector
$ 40 bracket
$ 40 sign
$ 25 wall and car bumpers from Amazon
$520 TOTAL

Replacement Wall Connector Cable Organizer

Shop Tesla Gear Replacement Wall Connector Cable Organizer

UMC controller bracket UberEV1
Organize your UMC: Controller Wall Bracket

Tesla parking sign Chris TX
Supercharger Parking Signs (replica))

If the wire is easily run from the breaker panel to the outlet location, then you'll have a low price to pay for this job. I just installed my NEMA 14-50 in an unfinished basement straight to the garage, so one hole to drill, about 40 feet of 8 AWG wire to handle the continuous 40A.

The wire was probably $100. The breaker is about $30, and the outlet/box is about $10 total. Then about one hour of an electrician's time at $65, so I think it cost me $200 total.

In another location we did a self-install of a NEMA 14-30 (cottage garage). $40 for all materials and the run was only 5 feet. The wire is the most expensive part of the job **in an unfinished space**

Outlet and main fuse box are on the same wall in a townhouse. House get a total of 150 AMP. I order a dual charger as an investment for the future but for now, I'm planning on using a 40 amp charging. I got a quote for $300 and I'm happy with it. Thank you all for the replay.

It should be 240 vac or even 250 if you can get your power company to connect your house to a hotter tap.

Expect more and you just might get more. Charging at ~250v is Tesla Nirvana. :smile:
--

I usually get 240 Volts at 80 Amps in Boulder and 247 Volts at 80 Amps in Pagosa. It's really nice to see charge rates of 57 and 58 mph, although the few percent difference in time almost never makes any difference.

Although common terminology, 110V and 220V systems are not used much in North America today, and their use dates back to Edison's DC distribution in the 19th century. In North America, 120V and 240V have been standard for household and small business use for almost a century. With 120V/208V and 277V/480V the three phase standard Voltages for the U.S. See Mains Electricity History - Wiki for some history.

Some older homes in the northeast use nominal 220VAC, but they're not all that common and are going to 240VAC as transformers are replaced. The ANSI standard is 240VAC, +/- 5% (so 228VAC to 252VAC is tolerance range).

Cost is very much related to distance from breakers since wire is a major cost and then the labor of getting through walls, floors. I had about 50' of #4 copper wire for 100 Amp service, coming across a basement ceiling and up through a concrete floor. 6 hrs of labor. $725 done by electrician.

Looking to do exactly this over the next couple of weeks as my delivery is in October and I didn't order the HPWC. For my situation the breaker box is in the garage and the distance needed is pretty short. How long is the mobile connector cable in case I park closer to the far wall in the two car garage?

My 14-50 outlet is on the far wall (opposite the overhead door), roughly centered between the 2 stalls. I park my car nose-in (so the front is near the outlet) on the right-hand side and the UMC reaches just fine, though it's difficult to walk in front of the car in that configuration. I couldn't park on the left side unless I back in.

Going back to the original topic, I'd say the most important thing to do is get multiple estimates from trustworthy electricians, especially for any complex or long distance installation. My installation was straightforward (roughly 20' from panel to garage through an unfinished basement), and I got estimates ranging from $500 to $1700. But if you're happy with a quote, I'd say go for it.

Looking to do exactly this over the next couple of weeks as my delivery is in October and I didn't order the HPWC. For my situation the breaker box is in the garage and the distance needed is pretty short. How long is the mobile connector cable in case I park closer to the far wall in the two car garage?

The UMC's cable is roughly 18' long, the HPWC's is roughly 25' long.

I installed my NEMA 14-50R myself. The install location was less than 10ft from the breaker panel.
Everything was purchased in either Home Depot or Lowes

12ft 6/3 wire by the foot~$27
50A breaker ~$8
14-50R outlet ~$8
2 gang Stainless outlet cover ~$3
2 gang hard shell old work wall box - ~$4

Total: ~$50

Conduit may also be required depending on your install and building codes.