Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to imagine it was a joke. Perhaps the driver got stopped once, and was let off with a warning when explaining that they are testing a prototype. I am not aware of any official way anyone can get a guarantee of such freedom from the regular laws.
Maybe next time a different officer who isn't so lenient might be the one that stops them, so they really do need to be careful.

I'm sure it's a joke.

On Memorial day I say a Tesla Roadster turn onto Bing Street (the location of Tesla's San Carlos office), then about 12 seconds
later, a police car turned onto the same street at high speed, clearly chasing someone. Of course, the Roadster was long gone in those twelve seconds.

Maybe Tesla will have high turnover in their road test department.
There could be a long line of ex-staff who no longer hold a valid drivers license! :-\

A big company like GM would have a "private proving ground" where they could wring out their cars without such concerns.

Tesla's HQ is in a busy area, so the "on street" road tests definitely have some risks.