Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can I adjust mileage? OBD-II port has no signal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello there,

This is my first post, forgive me if I'm doing anything wrong. I need to temporarily adjust mileage to add 6,000km (or the equivalent in miles if that's what the computer reads).

As far as I know, OBD-II port only has power and ground, no signal and is purely there for the government people to smile.
Tesla called up the guy who connected some wires into what appears to be an on-board Ethernet connector.

I'll be bringing an American salvaged Tesla out of the US so warranty won't bother me, how can I adjust the mileage?

Thanks,
Ivan

Why do you "need" to do this? I can't think of any legitimate reason to want to monkey with any odometer (aside from dash replacement, where you need to permanently set the new odometer forward to match the old one).

Why do you "need" to do this? I can't think of any legitimate reason to want to monkey with any odometer (aside from dash replacement, where you need to permanently set the new odometer forward to match the old one).
I intend on modifying mileage for tax purposes, and importing it to another country for someone else, so no... Britain doesn't get affected and it's not a country in the EU :biggrin:

What if you just sat it on a dyno and kept it going. That would work too, right? Well I guess you'd have to keep charging it though.
No silly, I need it new :tongue:

I thought you could turn the car heater on whilst still charging in the garage on a cold snowy morning in Scandinavia, did Tesla not allow us to drive whilst charging?

- - - Updated - - -

sounds illegal.
Not in my jurisdiction

Not in my jurisdiction

Sorry but what you are proposing is illegal on two counts, even in Malta. Firstly, cars imported to Malta require an "Odometer Certificate of Authenticity" so you altering the true mileage would be illegal. Secondly, doing this to evade taxes constitutes an illegal act as you're deliberately misrepresenting facts (with a falsified odometer reading) to the Maltese tax authorities.

- - - Updated - - -

Please note TMC Forum Rules which include:

TMC's website: resources, articles, and discussions are based on basic, appropriate professional ethical behavior. Unethical behavior: misrepresenting yourself, creating sock-puppet accounts, endorsing products or companies without disclosing compensation, spamming, and/or any illegal activities are completely inappropriate and will result in the loss of membership at TMC.

Sorry but what you are proposing is illegal on two counts, even in Malta. Firstly, cars imported to Malta require an "Odometer Certificate of Authenticity" so you altering the true mileage would be illegal. Secondly, doing this to evade taxes constitutes an illegal act as you're deliberately misrepresenting facts (with a falsified odometer reading) to the Maltese tax authorities.
I clearly said, this was not for import to the EU, of which Malta is part of. Please, before giving me warnings, note what I have stated. I know about the Odometer Certificate of Authenticity, and was asking questions due to me wishing to start a legitimate, non-private but corporative business, with the help of Tesla themselves, importing cars. Non-EU country is Ukraine. Thanks

I clearly said, this was not for import to the EU, of which Malta is part of. Please, before giving me warnings, note what I have stated. I know about the Odometer Certificate of Authenticity, and was asking questions due to me wishing to start a legitimate, non-private but corporative business, with the help of Tesla themselves, importing cars. Non-EU country is Ukraine. Thanks

EU or not, makes no difference. Misrepresenting actual mileage is unethical at best; and tax evasion is illegal also in Ukraine.

Btw, writing in bold doesn't make it legal either. :)

Last edited:
I can't imagine a legal reason to do this, but that's well covered here. What I found interesting is that you said you were creating a business with the help of Tesla. Surely if there is a legit reason to change the odo, Tesla - your partner - can help you.