Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just bought a Model S and have insurance problems....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My agent who is a great guy and good friend called ne today to say that my new Model S is on the allstate banned vehicle list. He doesn't understand it and says he is going to get more info tomorrow. My problem is that they are contractually obligated to honor the contract through to its policy expiration date of Oct. 1. They can then cancel and he said there is a good chance they will. WTF. I cant' and don't want to cancel due to losing the deposit, and now that I drove it I want it.

Has anyone ever heard this before? And what insurance companies do you guys use?

Thanks
Rich

• Disagree
Reactions: The Long C_0_N
I called my agent and they gave me a quote. It was somewhere around 700 for 6mo. So thats weird, unless its only in you state.

My agent who is a great guy and good friend called ne today to say that my new Model S is on the allstate banned vehicle list. He doesn't understand it and says he is going to get more info tomorrow. My problem is that they are contractually obligated to honor the contract through to its policy expiration date of Oct. 1. They can then cancel and he said there is a good chance they will. WTF. I cant' and don't want to cancel due to losing the deposit, and now that I drove it I want it.

Has anyone ever heard this before? And what insurance companies do you guys use?

Thanks
Rich

I was an Allstate customer for 30 years. I asked GEICO for a quote on the Tesla and it was 60% lower than the Allstate quote. I could still get Allstate insurance and my agent called me up. He tried to get a competitive quote but couldn't, so I switched. I am in NorCal.

Thanks for replies. I also have no tix,accidents or claims over ten years and 800+ credit scores. Just shaking my head. In 09 I left Geico for allstate due to a $3200 quote for an 09 S class. Allstate came in at 1600. Now Geico gave me a quote for 800 for a 6 month policy no problem.
Guess I am going back to Geico.

Thanks for replies. I also have no tix,accidents or claims over ten years and 800+ credit scores. Just shaking my head. In 09 I left Geico for allstate due to a $3200 quote for an 09 S class. Allstate came in at 1600. Now Geico gave me a quote for 800 for a 6 month policy no problem.

I'm in Illinois with similar history and credit. Liberty Mutual is about $320 per year. I do have 4 other cars and house with them, but the price on the P85 is crazy low. Worth your time to check.

Don't forget the to ask for the 8% discount with Geico if you are a Birkshire Hathaway shareholder.

My agent indicated that Tesla quotes still get some odd responses from insurers. However, I'm with Travelers, and it is no problem. True, it's a bit more than seven year old car, but that's life.

I have asked my agent to check Chubb and other agreed value policy options just to see the difference.

when I got my MS (late 2012), I was with Allstate, but decided to use occasion to shop around insurance. It is correct that some insurance companies do not have online quote for MS and have to run past their underwriters to get a rate. But, I had no problem getting a quote from about a dozen companies. Allstate was not competitive. The last couple times I pressed them on rates, they suddenly "found" a way to give same coverage at significant reduction. This time, they couldn't find anything - despite fact I've been customer for almost half a century.

It seems like stupid customer service to me, but it appears that there's no reward for loyalty in insurance. Smartest thing to do is shop it around every few years (ALL your insurance, car, house, boat, motorcycle, umbrella…). I ultimately selected Erie Insurance. 40% savings across all of the policies.

Bad insurance quotes and/or insurers who won't cover are NOT reasons to cancel Tesla order… they are indicators that it is time to change insurance companies!

Thanks
Rich

That's odd. I just signed an agreed value policy for my MS with Encompass, which is an Allstate company.