Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in Boston's Medical District

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm heading back down to Boston tomorrow for a 120 mile round trip with max rated range of 135 miles (40 KWh pack). I made the trip today under pretty much ideal conditions and had 5 miles of rated range when I pulled into the garage at home. It would be nice to have a little more margin.

I'm looking for some backup charging options in the area of Boston Children's Hospital. I hear there is a garage at 375 Longwood that has a charger. I've looked on plugshare and see 2 garages that have charging but it looks like the garages are only for monthly paying customers (not me). I don't see anything else that is close enough to deal with. If anyone knows of any other spots, please let me know.

Even if you see this later, I'll be making this trip pretty regularly for a while so getting more options will always be welcome.

I'm heading back down to Boston tomorrow for a 120 mile round trip with max rated range of 135 miles (40 KWh pack). I made the trip today under pretty much ideal conditions and had 5 miles of rated range when I pulled into the garage at home. It would be nice to have a little more margin.

I'm looking for some backup charging options in the area of Boston Children's Hospital. I hear there is a garage at 375 Longwood that has a charger. I've looked on plugshare and see 2 garages that have charging but it looks like the garages are only for monthly paying customers (not me). I don't see anything else that is close enough to deal with. If anyone knows of any other spots, please let me know.

Even if you see this later, I'll be making this trip pretty regularly for a while so getting more options will always be welcome.
The MASCO garage at 375 Longwood is on Plugshare.

Another option is to park further out and take the T in. There are several (I think 6) ChargePoint chargers in Alewife (end of the Red Line). There are also a couple of HPWC's in Andover and one in North Reading should you need a quick boost on the way home.

Another option is to park further out and take the T in. There are several (I think 6) ChargePoint chargers in Alewife (end of the Red Line). There are also a couple of HPWC's in Andover and one in North Reading should you need a quick boost on the way home.

Yep. the MASCO garage is the first option. I hadn't considered the T. It might solve the time spent in traffic too. I'll have to keep that in mind for the future. There are other issues presently that prevent that from being an option.

- - - Updated - - -

If you travel to Boston regularly, upgrading your battery to the 60 would be your best option.

I can buy a lot of charging time in parking garage for the price of the battery upgrade. ;) These trips will probably be twice a month for the next year or two. I don't know if it is really worth upgrading the battery for that. I'd probably swap vehicles with my wife before upgrading, even though she doesn't like driving the MS that much. It kind of scares her I think (or more likely she is afraid of me if she dents a fender...)

I can buy a lot of charging time in parking garage for the price of the battery upgrade. ;) These trips will probably be twice a month for the next year or two. I don't know if it is really worth upgrading the battery for that. I'd probably swap vehicles with my wife before upgrading, even though she doesn't like driving the MS that much. It kind of scares her I think (or more likely she is afraid of me if she dents a fender...)
Costs more up front, but consider the convenience of not having to think about charging on your trips. Don't forget you should recoup the cost when you sell or trade the car.

Getting from Alewife to the Longwood medical area is a real PITA, with a change at Park St for a long, bumpy, crowded ride on the Green line.

Getting from Alewife to the Longwood medical area is a real PITA, with a change at Park St for a long, bumpy, crowded ride on the Green line.

Thanks for that insight on Alewife. We might have tried that at some point, but probably not now.

It looks like I will be using the 375 Longwood garage to charge tomorrow since I will have some time to investigate the area during the day.

Also, it's been a while since I've gone to Alewife during rush hour. I don't know how busy the charging stations are, so I wouldn't rely on them anyway until I had a sense of their availability.

If I were you, I'd plan to charge at the MASCO garage, but also reach out beforehand to the 2 people in Andover who put their HPWC's on plugshare as a potential backup, just in case.

375 Longwood

The MASCO garage at 375 Longwood is working out. They normally have 4 cars sharing the dual charger, but there was only 1 today. So I was able to pull in and start charging at 30A without having to leave my keys with them (to move cars around to let others charge).

I figure I could make about 500 trips and charge here to pay for the battery upgrade. I don't think I'm going to get anywhere close to that number of trips, so I'll just charge when I get here as needed.

Landmark Center Parking

Hi Santana,

I work down the street from Childrens. 375 Longwood is the easiest but most expensive option (probably $30-40 per trip to park, maybe more)

A cheaper option but a longer walk is Landmark Center 401 Park Dr Boston, MA 02215, its on plugshare.

Depending on how long you are there, you can buy a matinee movie ticket and get it validated so that 3 hr parking is only $6 bucks or so. The chargers are near the opening to REI on the first floor of the garage.

Enjoy,

Mike

Thanks Mike,

Since I will be spending most of my time at Children's or Dana-Farber it looks like it will make the most sense to use the Children's garage, then go over to the MASCO garage during off hours to get a charge, then go back to the Children's garage (if I'm going to be there a couple of days).

On my last day trip it cost me $17 to park at the MASCO garage for 4 hours and get fully charged. I didn't think that was too bad.

The movie option may be a nice diversion at some point so I will keep that in mind. Thanks for the tip.

-Jeff

Hi Santana,

I work down the street from Childrens. 375 Longwood is the easiest but most expensive option (probably $30-40 per trip to park, maybe more)

A cheaper option but a longer walk is Landmark Center 401 Park Dr Boston, MA 02215, its on plugshare.

Depending on how long you are there, you can buy a matinee movie ticket and get it validated so that 3 hr parking is only $6 bucks or so. The chargers are near the opening to REI on the first floor of the garage.

Enjoy,

Mike