Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Change Orders? Called in my change - then next day got a VIN and told "no".....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I ordered Tesla Model S back on 7/23. I debated long and hard about my options and choices.

One of the options I decided NOT to get was the Panoramic Roof.

I was pretty set on all my choices then after reading thousands of posts here and on the Tesla Forums - I decided that pretty much any noise issues have been resolved. That the heat would be a non-issue - even though I live in Southern California.

I had not been assigned any vin and my delivery showed "Late September"

So on Monday 8/11 I called in a "change order" - deciding to get the Pano-roof after all. I was told they would put in the order and "try" - But they wanted to know the reasoning behind my decision so they could put it in there. At the time I had NOT been assigned any VIN #.

On Tuesday I was suddenly assigned a VIN. Seems that many of us with cars on order were assigned VIN's on Tuesday.

I called back on Tuesday asking if my request went through. I was told they had not been told "no" yet - so it is likely ok. Normally they get a response within hours if the answer will be No. So my I was optimistic.

On Weds I called in again asking if there was any updates. I was then told they got back that the change could not be made. But that they could submit the request again - but again wanted me to give a reason why. I guess this time my reasoning had better be a good one.

I told them that I was fearful that years down the road I would regret not getting this option. That even though I don't use my sunroofs - this is a major feature of the Model S and that if I am spending 100+ K for a car - I had better get exactly what I want. That I was fearful that I would be unhappy and adding the pano roof after the fact is not going to be an option. I even asked if I could delay my delivery to get this change done....

Now I am back to waiting for their response.

Has anyone here made last minute changes? I don't want to sound fickle - but it is true - a 100K car is not something I take lightly - and I feel like I had better get exactly what I want. I am even willing to delay my delivery or even pay a change order fee if they have one.

Am I SOL? Does my "reason why" need to be better?

I appreciate any suggestions or tips.

EDIT - I don't want to sound too harsh on Tesla. They have been great so far and do seem to be trying to accommodate me. I just found it strange that they clearly and specifically asked me to give a reason... and sort of embellished my reasoning when they repeated what my thoughts were back to me. Example - I said "I feel like I would regret not getting the roof down the road" - and they repeated back to me "So you feel like you may be very unhappy with your Model S if you don't get the Panoramic Roof" - am I reading into something here?

Last edited:
It is 14 August. If your delivery is "late September", I would hardly characterize this as "last minute" as you car is still 3-4 weeks away from build. I think that they should be able to accommodate such a change.

BTW, I live in the San Diego area and have had zero issues with pano roof heat (or noise, for that matter).

I made a last minute change on my order last year, and I made the change 2 weeks before delivery. However, to be fair to Tesla, the change I made was for an accessory item - the CF spoiler - and was told it would arrive separately from the car and would be installed AFTER delivery. Well, the car arrived with the CF spoiler already attached from the factory!

I think Tesla takes a tougher position when it comes to changes on hard items that are not accessories. This is why Tesla offers the 2 week waiting period in which to finalize your order and before your deposit becomes non-refundable. When features are "locked in" after the expiration of the 2 week period, I'd assume that Tesla relies on these commitments when it determines bulk ordering quantities from its vendors. This may be why later changes are discouraged, or declined.

I wouldn't be surprised to find Tesla struggling a bit more with this request because it means (I think) that Tesla has to use a different body/frame for your car. Given the number of cars Tesla is trying to get out the door before the end of the quarter, the sequencing might be very tight, and anything that throws of the production plan might be rejected. I'm guessing here, but I expect that the body/frame production is planned out a number of weeks in advance.

So while a change from say 19-inch wheels to 21-inch wheels might be no big deal, this change might be trickier.

Regardless, I hope you can get it done!

Well some good news to report - my change order went through. They said it "went up to the top" - so maybe that means Elon had to sign off on it. (Kidding)

Either way my change was made and my delivery data remains the same. I did find it strange that my "reason for changing" seemed to play a lot into this. At least from my point of view it did. It took two requests and the offer to delay my delivery or even pay a change order fee.

I am very happy and excited. Thank you "GOBLUE88" for the reassurance on the sunroof.

Well some good news to report - my change order went through. They said it "went up to the top" - so maybe that means Elon had to sign off on it. (Kidding)

Either way my change was made and my delivery data remains the same. I did find it strange that my "reason for changing" seemed to play a lot into this. At least from my point of view it did. It took two requests and the offer to delay my delivery or even pay a change order fee.

I am very happy and excited. Thank you "GOBLUE88" for the reassurance on the sunroof.
Awesome!

I'm willing to bet that it went to Jerome for special approval. Regardless, congratulations and here's to a great experience!

I was able to make a color change on 7/23/14 and was granted the change a few days after that... my order confirmed on 6/18 and am scheduled to deliver on 9/19... So we are close... However, a color change is quite a bit easier than adding a different roof I would imagine...

I was able to make a color change on 7/23/14 and was granted the change a few days after that... my order confirmed on 6/18 and am scheduled to deliver on 9/19... So we are close... However, a color change is quite a bit easier than adding a different roof I would imagine...

Actually you can't count on a color change going through Ed. I asked if it would be possible to change color about a week before my VIN was issued and was told 'no'. I wasn't even sure I wanted to change, but was asking about the possibility, so I wasn't disappointed at the 'no', just surprised. (And maybe a bit relieved because it effectively stopped all my vacillating about which color I really wanted.)

In retrospect - I think the tesla team is very accustomed to customers changing orders. However if the customer gives any hint of it "being ok if it can't be done" they probably come back with a response of no.

I had read from another post in this forum about ordering the 3rd row seats - and then cancelling them very late in the game. This way their car would be built with the added support - and later they could pickup a set of 3rd row seats 2nd hand and easily install them. Not telling my adviser of my plan to order and then cancel. I had sent in a request to change my order adding the third row seats. But I made it very clear in my email that I would understand if this was not possible since I had already confirmed everything. I quickly got an answer back of - No.