Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3G Outage in Hong Kong (PCCW)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remote access, Map and Browser not working. Just talked to Tesla Service. He said the service provider (PCCW) got a network problem and all cars are affected. He said using a new SIM will get 3G back sooner but I can wait till they fix it. If your 3G not working and you are in Tsuen Wan, you can try a new SIM.

Ah no wonder. I thought it was like when I used 3 the 3G network would be affected by rain... spoiled by internet radio already.

BTW it seems the touch screen will be frozen for a while without 3G, when you enter the vehicle. For reference I have energy saving mode on.

No wonder this morning the connection was not stable...

Wonder if I can change to my own SIM? But some said there's no physical SIM on board :confused:

I've got a spare SIMs from my CSL data plan, and they are quite stable.

I thought the car can be configured to WiFi tether to a smartphone or mobile hotspot. That should be the easiest way to resolve network problems due to the built-in SIM's network. I think the car's hardware is designed to have the SIM fixed in place. In other words, it can be changed but it's a huge hassle and involves "non-user-serviceable" parts.

I have a 4G router, which I am not using too much at the moment, after I got cable internet - but I still have the contract for a while. I might try that in the car, as a backup, and it's one2free so should compliment PCCW. I could have it in the frunk or trunk, with a large battery pack and a trickle charger, then it should even work for a few days (for remote control of the car). In fact, I have thought about if I could install a solar panel and battery, to keep a separate power supply for dash cam / security / internet / CCTV. Doesn't work in a garage, of course, or other places where daylight never reaches.

Had a problem on IOS using 1010 (=PCCW=HKT) yesterday evening too. Local websites ok. Everything overseas didn't load. iMessage, Apps updates etc. didn't work. Everything back to normal this morning. Maybe a DNS issue.

My 3g Sim card on my Model S failed and I was not able to connect to 3G at all for a few days last month and I had to bring it in to service center for a replacement Sim.. Since then My 3G was functioning but it still had times when I start the car and it did not have signal but now the 3g signal is gone again and not matter how many times I restart onboard computer the 3G still wont work.. I will have to bring the car in to Tsuen wan for again.. Is anyone else having issues with their 3G or is it just my Unit? I dont really want to have to go to the service centre every month to change sim cards..

Hi, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem! Just took my Model S out on my very first drive and there was no connection whatsoever. Maps did not load and Internet radio could not connect.

Actually, when the car was first delivered on Tuesday, it wasn't working well but I chalked it up to a bad connection in my garage.

I called Tech Support just now, and all she could offer was a reboot of the touch screen (which I had already tried before calling). I tried again, but to no avail (she said the connection needs to be strong while it resets). Looks like I'll need a Service Centre visit.

Incidentally, the plastic bar near the sunroof was scratched quite badly when I took delivery. Poor QA if you ask me. They have ordered a replacement par, which is scheduled to arrive in ~2 weeks, so I guess I'll bring it in to check out the 3G and install my Autotoll when that part arrives. Otherwise, the car drives great. I'm surprised that even with my lowly 60kWh, I can get the Tesla smile. :p

BTW, saw three Model S's (not including my own) and one Roadster today! :)