Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

home charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I recently moved to memphis and got a place on rent. My garage is 30 feet away from the dryer socket.

I am new to this forum and i know its been discussed before but I need some advice on creating an extension cord from a 10-30 outlet used by my dryer (3 prong) to the car - 30 feet away. I bought a 10-30 plug and receptacle and ordered the NEMA 10-30 plug from tesla. What kind of wire should i use 10/2 ( with 3 wires - black white and naked) or 10/3(black red white and naked). The 10-3 plug and receptacle have only 3 places to connect wires.

i am so confused with the ground neutral discussion on the blogs. I dont want to burn the house down or electrocute anyone. I need a simple solution.

I am no electrician.

Please advice

Vichin

Hi

I recently moved to memphis and got a place on rent. My garage is 30 feet away from the dryer socket.

I am new to this forum and i know its been discussed before but I need some advice on creating an extension cord from a 10-30 outlet used by my dryer (3 prong) to the car - 30 feet away. I bought a 10-30 plug and receptacle and ordered the NEMA 10-30 plug from tesla. What kind of wire should i use 10/2 ( with 3 wires - black white and naked) or 10/3(black red white and naked). The 10-3 plug and receptacle have only 3 places to connect wires.

i am so confused with the ground neutral discussion on the blogs. I dont want to burn the house down or electrocute anyone. I need a simple solution.

I am no electrician.

Please advice

Vichin

The problem that you have it that the third pin on a 10-30 is a neutral, and not a ground. You really want to use 3 insulated conductors (even if one uses green insulation). Bare wires are meant for ground connections and the 10-30 does not have a ground! Also, this cord will be flopping around the garage and needs to be pretty robust.

My recommendation is buy a 10 gauge extension cord like this one "Yellow Jacket 2806 10/3 Heavy-Duty 15-Amp SJTW Contractor Extension Cord with Lighted End, 100-Feet - Amazon.com", get the 50 ft version, cut the ends off, and use it with your 10-30 connectors. Use the green insulated wire in the extension cord cable to connect the neutral pins in the 10-30 connectors. Then use the black and white wires consistently between the 10-30P and 10-30R; make sure that if you plugged the 10-30P into the 10-30R that all there wires are connected to each other in a circle.

Good luck!

I am not an electrician either but No #10 wire is maybe large enough for 30amps.. but I would use #8. Two Live, One Neutral and make sure the box is grounded.
Good Luck

#10 SJTW is good for 30A rating, so 24A continuous load charging. As NEMA 10-30 connectors are 30-amp connectors, you're fine.

(See 2011 NEC 400.5(A)(1), column B, for 2 current-carrying conductors)

See my FAQ below. Note Tesla says "no extension cords" which means you violate code just by using one, although it's relatively low-risk.

I bought this cable to make an extension cord. It's lightweight and flexible yet more heavy duty than that contractor's extension cord. The new firmware can be real finicky and might dial down your amps with anything lighter.

6 3 SOOW So Cord 30 ft HD USA Portable Outdoor Indoor 600 V Flexible Wire Cable | eBay

That is #6 wire, certainly good for 40 Amp service on 14-50 connectors. For a general purpose cord with several adapters, using the cable you suggest, my electrician uses a NEMA L14-50 as the intermediate connector on the ends of the extension cord. I think this is probably a good choice for the intermediate connector on the 6/3 SOOW cable. Then make adapters to the outlet of interest.

I have found that if I use #12 for 5-15/5-20 connectors, #10 for 14-30/10-30 connectors, and #6 for the 14-50/10-50 connectors with good connections on the installs and a reasonable utility connection the current does not fold back to the 75% level.

It seems that the Tesla algorithm may have some absolute Voltage sensitivity, as well as relative (no current to max current delta Voltage) sensitivity. There seem to be more reports of the current fold back happening on 208 Volt connections, but the is all hearsay; I don't know of any hard test comparisons.