Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto-wiper issues - could it be caused by opti-coat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this should be in the interior/exterior subforum.

When the auto-wipers are on, regardless of how light or hard the rain is, they start out slow and then speed up to full speed (highest speed) after 30 seconds or so. This happens in any type of rain, even in a mist or very light rain. Once they go full speed, they rarely slow down and I just turn them off and on to slow them down. I do have opti-coat on the windshield and want to know if any others with opti-coat on the windshield are seeing this issue, or is this something defective with my car that the service center needs to address?

Edit: I'll add that this happens in the first wiper position (low sensitivity) as well as in the second of course (high sensitivity).

Last edited:
I guess I'll add that in heavy rain (edit: or moderate rain), I can usually just not use the wipers due to the opti-coat. In very light rain/mist, the water beads so tiny I have to use the wipers and have switched to just pushing the button on the end of the stick manually instead of trying to use the auto-sensing wipers since they just go crazy. A very basic timed intermittent wiper would be far better than the auto-sensing wipers for me.

Last edited:
I don't have Opticoat on my glass, and I do see poor automatic wiper performance. Not fast enough, and not intuitive at all. It's been a complaint of owners for a long time.

The automatic wipers are so bad I would much rather have a manual turn dial for intermittent wipers.

I've the OptiGlass coating and the wipers seem to behave independently of the rainfall intensity...

What I'd like to see is a learning algorithm. So basically when it's raining, the driver presses to wipe depending on the rain and car speed, over time the car learns the pattern and adapts.

Now that would be good - and not difficult either.

I have OptiGlass on my windshield but don't see think kind of behavior--probably worth a call to the SvC, should like some issue with the sensor.

O

I have OptiGlass to and zero issues with it. I will say that there's not much value in OptiGlass on the windshield. The side/rear windows its great on but the wipers seem to do a number of the windshield itself so there's not much point in spending the money on it.

Since I changed to the Bosch blades my wiper experience is totally transformed. Before they sounded like a couple of fish being slapped against the glass and with about the same efficiency or perhaps like a couple of injured cormorants in their final death throes.

Now they silent on operation, the deference is just phenomenal.

I don't have Opticoat and it hasn't rained in Southern California since I bought the car, but the SC told me when I picked up my car that the system was based on Mercedes' and I absolutely hated the MB speed algorithm in the three MBs I've had over the past 5 years. I wish I could turn off "auto". I would much prefer the tried and true manual speed setting approach.