Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toured the Factory Today - Model X is Coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I toured the Factory today. I signed an NDA, so I'm not going to give any details about what I got to see, and will try to be as vague as possible. Here goes!

Model X is coming and it looks like it's coming fast. The mood around the factory felt very centered around Model X, and it looks like they might be cranking out their first pre-production model sometime in the not too distant future. Meaning, we should see something extremely close to the final product soon.

I hope that was vague enough...

Although I'm not buying a Model X, the atmosphere at the factory got me really pumped and excited for those of you with reservations! The next few months are going to be exciting.

Without violating your NDA-- may I ask, did you see any actual parts that you--as a Model S owner-- didn't recognize from your car?

No, they couldn't give us a close up tour of the Model X production line. But we could see the production line from a distance and there were pallets of parts waiting on the side. All I could make out were parts for the frame and the drive units.

To the best of my understanding, there is not a separate Model X production line. Has that changed?

I don't know. It looked like most of the factory was geared to do both X and S production on the same lines. But the body assembly area had two distinctive lines, one for S and one for X. Which would only make sense since the shells for the two cars are different.

My impression is that there are two body assembly lines... the old one, which can be used for prototyping (Model X) and the new high speed line that can do either Model S or Model X.

Can you confirm or refute?

Re: Co-Pilot Volunteer

Hi Paul,

I live in Fremont and can see the factory from my neighborhood in the hills above. I hold MX P83. If you or anyone else needs a co-pilot volunteer for your official MS NDA factory tour, just email me at [email protected]. I'm less than 15 minutes away. Lunch is on me. :biggrin:

Thanks!
Russ

This is such a tease I may have to go for my official factory tour. Any co-pilot volunteers? Rolos?

Hi Paul,

I live in Fremont and can see the factory from my neighborhood in the hills above. I hold MX P83. If you or anyone else needs a co-pilot volunteer for your official MS NDA factory tour, just email me at [email protected]. I'm less than 15 minutes away. Lunch is on me. :biggrin:

Thanks!
Russ
Thanks. I think I'll wait a little longer. I'm sure there will be a reveal event that would be more special. I'm just getting so excited.

I don't see that this means anything.

We know they're going to be working on Model X, they've said the first pre-production units would be coming soon. Given that they've only been building the Model S, any steps toward Model X production would create a special atmosphere at the factory.

I don't see that this means anything.

We know they're going to be working on Model X, they've said the first pre-production units would be coming soon. Given that they've only been building the Model S, any steps toward Model X production would create a special atmosphere at the factory.

I have to agree, we know they are building alpha units since they stated that publicly. I doubt the parts viewed were stamped out, but were more likely one-offs, made specifically for the alpha build. That kind of stuff will come later, when production is actually going to begin. This sounds more like just using the factory space to prepare the alphas.

And yes, it's exciting. :) But it's in line with the timeline stated less than two weeks ago, so not a huge surprise. But exciting just the same. (Though it's hearing little things about X technology that makes my head swivel.)

Model X frame

Hi, the reason I ask is because the frame will determine the ride and size of the Model X.

I have to agree, we know they are building alpha units since they stated that publicly. I doubt the parts viewed were stamped out, but were more likely one-offs, made specifically for the alpha build. That kind of stuff will come later, when production is actually going to begin. This sounds more like just using the factory space to prepare the alphas.

And yes, it's exciting. :) But it's in line with the timeline stated less than two weeks ago, so not a huge surprise. But exciting just the same. (Though it's hearing little things about X technology that makes my head swivel.)

Keith -

They've always said that the S & X will be built on the same battery platform. That engineering approach will allow a much more efficient production line, not to mention use of engineering resources, lowered inventory needs, etc. While Model 3 is really the 4th car, it refers to the 3rd generation platform ... a smaller battery form factor that will also have a number of different models based off of it. It's extremely smart from a business standpoint.

- - - Updated - - -

Some of us have had test drives in the beta version of the Model X. Definitely not the final production version, but the overall size and ride are fairly well known. Only will be better. :)