Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Spam - Tesla motors Electric car goes 220 miles on a single charge. That sucks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the new Tesla car found here http://www.teslamotors.com/design/galler…
can go 220 miles on a single charge. dont get me wrong that is a giant leap for electric cars, but really what if you wanted to make a 400 mile trip. you would have to stop somewhere for 3.5 hours and charge up your car at the neares electrical outlet. granted it costs you about 2 cents per mile so the trip would cost you about 8 bucks. and not really because you aould be charging up someone elses light bill along the trip. but the usual 5 minute stop at a gas station now turns into 3.5 hours. i dont know how many slushies i would consume in that amount of time but i can tell you it wouldnt be pretty.

so what do you think. is this car going to be a luxury back and forth to work car? LOL its faster then a lamborghini. so your going to get to work crazy fast and in style but then you have to go home and charge up your car..

Last edited:
Before getting the Tesla Roadster, I had a Honda S2000. I didn't like to drive that on long trips. A couple times I went up to 250 miles, but never further than that. It was too small to carry enough luggage, and not too comfortable for such a long ride. Back then, if I wanted to drive 400 miles, I would take my SUV. I've driven the SUV up to 600 miles in a day, but that's wasn't a lot of fun either. Better to take an airplane, although I've always thought the auto train was a cool idea.

The Roadster has the same issues as the S2000, as well as the fact that recharging takes longer than filling up on gasoline. So, maybe it's not the best choice for long road trips. The Miata and Smart cars are also not especially suited to long trips, so this is clearly not purely an issue specific to electric cars.

I think it's more relevant to ask; Is the Roadster the first modern, lithium ion powered, electric car, or the last? If it was the last, then we could say that electric cars will never replace ICEs for long trips.

But it's only the first of it's kind, not the last. There are many future developments that promise to make electric cars practical even for long trips. Better batteries that provide even more range, quick charging that can be done in under an hour, ultra-quick charging in 10 minutes, and battery swapping are just a few of the technical advances that are being developed.

Just look at the Model S, which has up to 300 mile range. Now you would only need an hour to gain enough charge to complete the 400 miles trip. Or you could use the 45 minute charge feature. It's also bigger, more comfortable and has room for plenty of luggage. I'd be happy to try a 400 mile trip in a Model S. I would gladly take that over an S2000, Miata, or Smart car for a long trip.

Those spam bots are getting more clever all the time. That one fooled me at first, but then you look in its profile and sure enough it's just trying to promote some website. I do like Blackbird's reply - when someone comes across this page in the google, they'll find their answer right here:biggrin: