Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autotoll tag installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a quick sum up:

- The Pano roof was my main concern for HK weather. I must say it is excellent and blocks heat under today's typical HK hot sunny day. The sun is very pleasant inside and didn't feel much heat wave. Under the same condition in my X5, I can definitely feel the sun and heat. I would say 90% vs 50% blocked.

- When the car switched on you can hear some high rev sound, probably Aircon and fluid pump etc.

- The Tesla App not working yet. DS told me I can start using it 48hrs after delivery. Let's see what it can do tomorrow.

- The touch panel glare is minimal. My drive position is quite lay back, so I need to stretch for some left side "buttons". (No, I won't admit I have short hands, No..)

- Google map, Browser, and Internet Radio all working fine.

- The Connection service comes with MS is on 3G. (Not sure which provider) The car can also connect to Wifi Access Points.

- If you use an USB flash Disk to hold music files, the Media player plays MP3, FLAC, WAV ok. Cannot play M4A and APE format. No Album Arts. (Solution to this is buy a bloody iPod and get connected, which I don't have one... :rolleyes:)

- Screen displays both Simplified and Traditional Chinese OK.

- I've done mostly City drive, but no heavy traffic. Average energy consumption is 260Wh/Km. Roughly each KWh goes 4Km, so 85KWh gives you 300Km City range?

Anyone got experiences to share?

UPDATE 8 AUG 2014

Autotoll - The shaded area on the right of rear mirror may or may not work, depends on which booth you get through. Nose cone is the best place to put it.

Regen Brake - I went down from the peak all the way to Garden Road. If you use "Standard" you'll get 30-40KW charge but the car goes like 20Km/h, no brake needed. For "Low" you get 15KW charge, the car goes 35-45Km/h which is more like the normal downhill speed. :smile:

Interesting observations. For my car the Autotoll does not work in the lower right hand corner either. Is there any guidance on how to use the nose cone? It sounds like the best (only) way. Any guidance appreciated.

Interesting observations. For my car the Autotoll does not work in the lower right hand corner either. Is there any guidance on how to use the nose cone? It sounds like the best (only) way. Any guidance appreciated.

20101203_b1cdc71e2e4bfaea66c1WXLq7s05Ogyg.jpg

You can get a black box like the one in the picture from Autotoll first, and then stick it behind the nosecone. or just put it in a Ziploc bag and mount it behind the nosecone.

My Autotoll works next to the mirror arm (to the right side of it), right on the edge of the windshield. I have the thinner type (white one), so I havent even bothered sticking it on with the double sided tape, instead, I have just wedged it between the roof and headliner (It stays there pretty tight, and saves me from having to remove the tape later on)

I've tried several spots:

Wind Screen - 0% success
Shaded Area (Right side of rear mirror, where the rain sensor is..) - 100% ok Eastern Tunnel KLN -> HK; 0% HK -> KLN; Western Tunnel 50/50
Little triangle window by the side mirror (Only for the sake of trying, not practical :rolleyes:) - Nope

Nose cone - 100% anywhere (so far...)

How to remove the nose cone? See this LINK .... Watch 3:28 ! (Don't worry about others..)

Quite scary when you first do it but it will come off! Be firm!! And trust me, I have some professional pry tools and I found them more awkward to use. I've also tried credit cards :tongue:

Be careful not to let the nose cone drop out, the sensor cables are pretty small. Just stick your Autotoll tag inside the nose cone, if you're facing the car then stick on left side is better.

Put back the nose cone and off you go!! :cool:

Last edited:

Wind Screen - 0% success
Shaded Area (Right side of rear mirror, where the rain sensor is..) - 100% ok Eastern Tunnel KLN -> HK; 0% HK -> KLN; Western Tunnel 50/50
Little triangle window by the side mirror (Only for the sake of trying, not practical :rolleyes:) - Nope

How to remove the nose cone? See this LINK .... Watch 3:28 ! (Don't worry about others..)

Quite scary when you first do it but it will come off! Be firm!! And trust me, I have some professional pry tools and I found them more awkward to use. I've also tried credit cards :tongue:

Be careful not to let the nose cone drop out, the sensor cables are pretty small. Just stick your Autotoll tag inside the nose cone, if you're facing the car then stick on left side is better.

Thank you ekwng. This really does seem the optimum solution. I'll try it and report back. Much appreciated.

Wind Screen - 0% success

I have only tried Tai Lam tunnel, Airport Lantau Link, and some tunnels going to ShaTin. I didnt know it doesnt work with HK-->KLN Eastern Tunnel... or Western Tunnel.

100% ok Eastern Tunnel KLN -> HK; 0% HK -> KLN; Western Tunnel 50/50

We had similar issues with the roadster. In the end, for the roadster, I put mine in the frunk under the carbon fibre hood. Not perfect, and works better in some tunnels than others (similar to what you see). I do find that it works almost 100% of the time when I slow down to 30kph or so, but if I hammer through at 50kph it is 50/50 (depending on the tunnel).

That said, when it doesn't work the red-light stays on (so you know) and they just work off the license plate picture. I've never received a call or any problems from that - they just bill me the same.

I agree that behind the nose cone seems to be the best place.

The little challenge is to push the nose cone out...

Apparently this way by pushing the frunk plates was leaked by Service Rangers in US, you can find some threads in the forum talking about it.

Our Sigs are with new one piece nose cone so makes it easier.

Just stick the autotoll tag above the left parking sensor, plently of space there!

Thankyou ekwng. I completed the installation in the nosecone as suggested. It works perfectly over 3 tolls so far.
removing the nosecone proved a little challenging, but got there eventually.
much appreciated.

Rotorbow.

Grrrreat!!! :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

I have seen people stick their autotoll underhood next to the gas charge lift support. Even Roadster, they put it at the front next to the hood latch.

Yes but Model S bonnet is Aluminum so you need some luck to get detected.

Roadster is Carbon Fibre so no worries :cool: