Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well folks it's time to replace my goodyears. Not really because they are worn out, just because I have 22,000 miles and I'm bored of them and think an all-season tire is idiotic in florida. I have no need for the snow traction they offer and am not willing to tolerate the compromises in other conditions that snow traction requires. A search on tire rack yielded some interesting results. There are only SIX low-rolling resistance tires they sell in the 245/45-19 size I need:

Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus
Michelin Pilot Sport 3
Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus
Michelin Primacy MXM4
Continental ContiProContact
Michelin Energy MXV4 S8

I want low rolling resistance because I don't want to lose range and the only performance tire of the bunch is the Michelin Pilot Sport 3. I did some research and it seems to have vastly superior traction in the rain than the PS2 does. I'm looking forward to trying it out. Will let everyone know how it works out.

Attachments

• tires.png
    tires.png
    372.2 KB · Views: 2,834
Cool - I haven't seen this yet. Keep us updated. I'm interested in your experience with the PS3. It's time for me to upgrade, and I have the PS2 currently (and will not get it again). I'm also curious how the PS3 compares to the Pilot Super Sport, which is what I'm leaning towards.

Cool - I haven't seen this yet. Keep us updated. I'm interested in your experience with the PS3. It's time for me to upgrade, and I have the PS2 currently (and will not get it again). I'm also curious how the PS3 compares to the Pilot Super Sport, which is what I'm leaning towards.

I can tell you right now, as someone who has upgraded a BMW M6 from PS2s to the supersports, the supersport is probably the best performance tire in the world. I would be buying supersports right now if they were available in the 245/45-19 size. It's a huge leap ahead of the PS2 in every possible way. Better handling, better ride, quieter, longer lasting, and less expensive too. The PS3 was, from what I hear, a stop-gap to keep customers happy while the supersport was being developed. I'd love to buy the supersport, but the PS3 is the only serious performance tire available for people with 19 inch wheels, so that's the one I'm buying.

I didn't see any other posts about the PS3 so I started one. Looking at mounting them tomorrow.

Last edited:
My winter tires are Pilot Alpin PA3 in 255/45R19... Pilot SS are available in 255/40R19 and 255/45R19, I'm thinking about running the pilot SS in one of those sizes when my goodyears are done.

I can tell you right now, as someone who has upgraded a BMW M6 from PS2s to the supersports, the supersport is probably the best performance tire in the world. I would be buying supersports right now if they were available in the 245/45-19 size. It's a huge leap ahead of the PS2 in every possible way. Better handling, better ride, quieter, longer lasting, and less expensive too. The PS3 is, from what I hear, was a stop-gap to keep customers happy while the supersport was being developed. I'd love to buy the supersport, but the PS3 is the only serious performance tire available for people with 19 inch wheels, so that's the one I'm buying.

I didn't see any other posts about the PS3 so I started one. Looking at mounting them tomorrow.

My winter tires are Pilot Alpin PA3 in 255/45R19... Pilot SS are available in 255/40R19 and 255/45R19, I'm thinking about running the pilot SS in one of those sizes when my goodyears are done.

255/40-19s will keep your speedometer working right. I didn't think about plus sizing and going with supersports. I guess I could have done that, but I felt a little more comfortable staying with factory sizes.

255/40-19s will keep your speedometer working right. I didn't think about plus sizing and going with supersports. I guess I could have done that, but I felt a little more comfortable staying with factory sizes.

no it won't. the OEM 19s are 27.7" in diameter. 255/40-19 will get you 27.0" in diameter. You're better off with 255/45-19's which give you 28.01. Your speedometer will be more accurate with 255/45 than 255/40.

fyi I'm running 255/45ZR19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's and I LOOOOOOOVE them. night and day comparing these to the 19" goodyears & primacies.

I have a P85 with 21" Rims, and I replaced the continentals with about 8,000 miles on them. I now have with the PS3s with 5,000 miles on them, it looks likes they should last at least 15,000 miles. With the 30,000 mile pro-rated warranty that means I should be able to get 50% off my next pair.

The only drawback with the PS3s, is that they seem to use slightly more energy than the continentals that came with the car, but I do not have any meaningful data to support this "feeling."

Last edited:
Well folks it's time to replace my goodyears. Not really because they are worn out, just because I have 22,000 miles and I'm bored of them and think an all-season tire is idiotic in florida. I have no need for the snow traction they offer and am not willing to tolerate the compromises in other conditions that snow traction requires. A search on tire rack yielded some interesting results. There are only SIX low-rolling resistance tires they sell in the 245/45-19 size I need:

Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus
Michelin Pilot Sport 3
Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus
Michelin Primacy MXM4
Continental ContiProContact
Michelin Energy MXV4 S8

I want low rolling resistance because I don't want to lose range and the only performance tire of the bunch is the Michelin Pilot Sport 3. I did some research and it seems to have vastly superior traction in the rain than the PS2 does. I'm looking forward to trying it out. Will let everyone know how it works out.

What about continental sportcontact 5, goodyear eagle f1 assymetric 2 or pirelli p zero? They all have the same rolling resistance as michelin ps3, are available in 245/45/19 and are proper summer tires with good performance.

The Pilot Sport 3 is used almost exclusively as an Original Equipment tire (in 245/45R19 the tire has a >MO< branded on the sidewall indicating OE use for Mercedes Benz), and as a result will not have any of our regular test data available. So far the feedback has been positive, but with just over one half million miles reported its too early tell how it will perform long term. Until Michelin offers the Pilot Super Sport in 245/45R19, the PS3 represents their best Max Performance tire option. For reference, the Pilot Sport AS3 (all season) came very close to matching the braking and handling levels offered by the Pilot Sport PS2 but with the all season compound we would expect the AS3 to provide a little better mileage vs. either summer tire (PS2 or PS3). The AS3 would not, however, offer any Low Rolling Resistance capability.

• Disagree
Reactions: Snerruc
no it won't. the OEM 19s are 27.7" in diameter. 255/40-19 will get you 27.0" in diameter. You're better off with 255/45-19's which give you 28.01. Your speedometer will be more accurate with 255/45 than 255/40.

fyi I'm running 255/45ZR19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's and I LOOOOOOOVE them. night and day comparing these to the 19" goodyears & primacies.

Well this is the summer only version of the same tire so I'm hoping it will be even better than the all-season version. We'll see. I'm picking up the car this morning

- - - Updated - - -

What about continental sportcontact 5, goodyear eagle f1 assymetric 2 or pirelli p zero? They all have the same rolling resistance as michelin ps3, are available in 245/45/19 and are proper summer tires with good performance.

You sure that they have the same rolling resistance? The tire rack website screens them out when searching for low rolling resistance tires.

If you are talking about the PS3 all-season, then they probably are the same, but michelin is marketing the PS3 summer tire as a low rolling resistance tire. The PS3 all-season isn't and I don't want to screw up my range.

You sure that they have the same rolling resistance? The tire rack website screens them out when searching for low rolling resistance tires.

If you are talking about the PS3 all-season, then they probably are the same, but michelin is marketing the PS3 summer tire as a low rolling resistance tire. The PS3 all-season isn't and I don't want to screw up my range.
Yes. In EU, all tires by law have a rolling resistance marking in classes A-G. The difference between A (best) and G (worst) is 6.5%. These all fall into class C, there is no 245/45/19 tire with better than C.
I never talk about all-seasons since I consider them crap. In europe, cars (except for Tesla) are delivered with proper summer tyres (my low-end BMW came with Continental Sportcontact 3's).

Continental sport contact 5:
You need to get the "102Y XL MO FR" version, not the "102Y XL FR" or any other version to get the LRR.
Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2:
"102Y XL FP"
Michelin PS3:
"102Y XL FSL MO"

My choice would be the Eagle F1's since they have the lowest noise rating of the three and I've had that tyre on a previous car and really liked it.

- - - Updated - - -

How do these- The Pilot Sport 3 compare with the Primacy MXM4's?

They aren't really comparable since the MXM4 is all-season (crap) and the PS3 is a proper summer tyre.

Yes. In EU, all tires by law have a rolling resistance marking in classes A-G. The difference between A (best) and G (worst) is 6.5%. These all fall into class C, there is no 245/45/19 tire with better than C.

Do you happen to know the EU rolling resistance classes for the PSS and PS2? I read elsewhere that the PS2 was fitted to the P85+ because it has lower rolling resistance than the PSS.

Do you happen to know the EU rolling resistance classes for the PSS and PS2? I read elsewhere that the PS2 was fitted to the P85+ because it has lower rolling resistance than the PSS.

PS2 in 245/35/21: Class E
PS2 in 265/35/21: Class C
PSS: E for most dimensions

You can check these yourself:
MICHELIN Pilot Super Sport | Tyres | MICHELIN

MICHELIN Pilot Sport PS2 | Tyres | MICHELIN

MICHELIN Pilot Sport 3 | Tyres | MICHELIN

Select the "Sizes and labelling classes" tab halfway down.

Thanks for the info. I find it odd that 2 tires that are identical in other specifications except for a difference of 20mm in the cross section have such disparate rolling resistance ratings. Can someone explain?

More road contact, higher resistance. So wider tyre means higher resistance in general.
Lower diameter of the wheel, higher resistance.
That's probably why the BMW i3 have big but narrow wheels (155/70/R19).
The MS have more or less equally big wheels but not narrow in any way.

More road contact, higher resistance. So wider tyre means higher resistance in general.

If I'm correct the contact patch size of a normal vs a wide tyre (measured on the same car) is equal but only the shape of the contact patch differs.
So it's not "more" road contact but "different" road contact which causes a bit more rolling resistance.
Tire experts please chime in ;)

Reactions: JohnnyG
I had a blowout in the right rear tire and had to replace both rears. I originally had Goodyear Eagles. I purchased the Michelin MVMX4s and I took them back. On the Goodyears I could corner a very high speed. Not so on MVMX4. I had pretty bad rear slippage. Discount Tire was very accommodating and gave me credit for new Michelins so I went with the Pilot Sport 3s. Better, but still NOWHERE NEAR the Goodyears! The Goodyears don't last as long as the Michelins but they grip a lot better in my experience. I am more careful now in hard cornering on the Michelins. I would stick with Eagles if I were you.

I had a blowout in the right rear tire and had to replace both rears. I originally had Goodyear Eagles. I purchased the Michelin MVMX4s and I took them back. On the Goodyears I could corner a very high speed. Not so on MVMX4. I had pretty bad rear slippage. Discount Tire was very accommodating and gave me credit for new Michelins so I went with the Pilot Sport 3s. Better, but still NOWHERE NEAR the Goodyears! The Goodyears don't last as long as the Michelins but they grip a lot better in my experience. I am more careful now in hard cornering on the Michelins. I would stick with Eagles if I were you.

Goodyear Eagle what? RS-A2? LS-2? F1 assymetric 2?
Or are you talking about the ones that comes as standard on 19" on the MS? I can't imagine those being better than the PS3 in any way.