Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Instrument Panel and Wheel Controls dead on Service Day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Amazing timing. I had scheduled a few weeks ago to drop off my MS this morning for a tire rotation and a few other small warranty items. I head out to my car this morning, unplug the HPWC, hop in and I notice the center console is on but the Instrument Panel was dark. I waited a few minutes, nothing. I held down the top reboot buttons, nothing. I tried to put it into reverse. Nothing. Then I heard some sounds (like the charge door locking), fans, etc. and tried reverse again. Nope. One more time trying reverse and I was good to go. I drove from my house to the service center with no instrument panel and the buttons on the steering wheel were not doing anything either (e.g. wouldn't control the radio volume). The only thing I could get the scroll wheels to do were to reboot the center console...which worked fine. But upon rebooting still no instrument cluster or steering wheel controls.

It was a weird drive. Was waiting for a cop to pull me over:
- "Do you have any clue how fast you were driving?"
- "Nope. No clue."

Should be interesting to hear what they find tonight.
Instrument.JPG

To reboot the instrument cluster I thought it was the bottom buttons (underneath the scroll wheels) that you press and hold, not the top?

Pretty sure the cop would not have been at all sympathetic. Technically you should have demanded that Telsa come to collect the car since it's illegal to drive without instruments (well, it is in the UK at least).

I've had several similar glitches (center console went blank on me and later the inst panel stopped updating). Reboot did nothing. it was drive-able but rather disconcerting - my speed was supposedly 8 mph but i was probably going 35 like the rest of traffic. But when I got back in after it sat for a while, all was well again. My guess is there is some sort of noise source on one of the internal buses. Service center couldn't find anything. Guess I'll just drive until it really dies.

I've got my car back. Let me first say that it is always impressive how Tesla service goes above and beyond. Many of the rattles I complained about, fixed. I noted a small circular bump that was protruding a bit from the passenger seat. A minor annoyance but an annoyance nonetheless. They found a "defect in cushion beneath leather" and ordered an entire new seat bottom. Impressive. A few other things addressed...tape added to b-pillar bezel to stop the seat belt squeaking. Modify Rear Arch liners (I didn't ask for this so this must be an outstanding item on mine). Updated to 5.12. Back to the Instrument Panel...

They report that connections are secure with no visible damage or failure so the diagnosis was that my original cluster had an internal circuit fault. They replaced it with a re-manufactured instrument cluster. All seems to be well.

All in all, I feel like a successful day at service...especially since I got a nice S85 loaner for the day. Will be going back in a few weeks when the new seat bottom arrives.