Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Protective Rear Seat Cover...? (for dogs)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks -

Has anyone found a protective cover that can be snugly attached to the rear seat? So that energetic dogs don't mess it up by trying to leap everywhere - as energetic dogs do.

Something that perhaps hooks onto the three headrests.

Currently I tuck a big towel into the folds of the seat, but my dog invariably messes it up and ends up with feet-on-leather anyway.

Thanks -M

Hi folks -

Has anyone found a protective cover that can be snugly attached to the rear seat? So that energetic dogs don't mess it up by trying to leap everywhere - as energetic dogs do.

Something that perhaps hooks onto the three headrests.

Currently I tuck a big towel into the folds of the seat, but my dog invariably messes it up and ends up with feet-on-leather anyway.

Thanks -M

I use the Canine Cover, details here:
Model S, Doggone it! | Tesla Living
Holds up great, you can wash it in the washer/dryer and has kept my Tesla and dog safe and living well together. Both get along nicely. I'd get a small shop vac too if you're going the pet route. Plus extra windex. Those noses like the windows.

I'm also using a pet hammock. Don't have a picture, but it is very similar to this:

51FPIsYAnzL._SX466_.jpg

Only issue is it doesn't protect the door panels, but my dog doesn't go after the doors so it has been fine. Still have to wipe the nose prints off the rear windows, though. :)

I use the Canine Cover, details here:
Model S, Doggone it! | Tesla Living
Holds up great, you can wash it in the washer/dryer and has kept my Tesla and dog safe and living well together. Both get along nicely. I'd get a small shop vac too if you're going the pet route. Plus extra windex. Those noses like the windows.

I have a yellow lab and not even that device will keep her hair from eventually spreading throughout the interior (it gets airborne and the small static charge of the car's plastic panels attracts it). I had one of these in my Volt and it did not trap the dog hair very well. It ended up everywhere and was a nightmare to remove.

My solution was to line the entire trunk in beige nylon carpet. My dog only rides in that space. The nylon carpet static charge attracts all the loose hairs and the beige color hides them -- none ever drifts to other parts of the car, even the plastic panels lining the trunk. A quick vacuum removes all of the hair.

DSC_3495_1.JPG

DSC_3499_1.JPG

DSC_3493.JPG

• Love
Reactions: travis010
Here is what we did

I made this liner and have sold a few to fellow Tesla owners. Details here
Cargo Area Liner Mat for Easy Cleaning

I have a yellow lab and not even that device will keep her hair from eventually spreading throughout the interior (it gets airborne and the small static charge of the car's plastic panels attracts it). I had one of these in my Volt and it did not trap the dog hair very well. It ended up everywhere and was a nightmare to remove.

My solution was to line the entire trunk in beige nylon carpet. My dog only rides in that space. The nylon carpet static charge attracts all the loose hairs and the beige color hides them -- none ever drifts to other parts of the car, even the plastic panels lining the trunk. A quick vacuum removes all of the hair.

View attachment 56964

View attachment 56965

View attachment 56966

- - - Updated - - -

We have been using this BackMat since 2012. I have made about 100 for other Tesla owners and could make a few more. See the link to my earlier post or email me directly at [email protected]

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/16700-Cargo-Area-Liner-Mat-for-Easy-Cleaning

BackMat Dog photo.JPG

Attachments

• BackMat Flyer.doc
    229.5 KB · Views: 182
So, I'm thinking about protecting the back seat, since I can't imagine my 75 lb Dood staying calm in the very back cargo space... LOL :biggrin:

I came across this product: Bergan Large Bench Seat Protector - Tan | Product Details | Pep Boys

And a video showing it going in: Bergan Bench Seat Protector Installation Video - YouTube

It was in the local Winners and was going for cheap (as in the link - perhaps an old product). Not the colour I wanted, but the LabraDonkey is colour-blind and has no taste when it comes to colour and patterns anyway... so I grabbed it up as a gamble.

Turns out it fits the back of the seat really well. Three velcro openings that fit the headrests and spacing is really very close. Strap fits behind the seat nicely. Seat bottom size is also quite good. It was probably meant for the back seat of a truck or SUV, so the cut on the edges isn't perfect, but quite workable (more square, like an old-school bench seat). I snapped the left and right rear belts into place and that keeps the fabric from sliding forward... it's essentially locked to the seat back/bottom 'crotch' by the belts.

All great, except.... there is no way included to keep the bottom part from sliding backwards. And on the slippery leather, it really does slide around. He's reluctant to jump in because when he does he's a little like Bambi on the frozen pond.

I'm wondering if anyone has devised a solution to restrain the cover on the seat bottom that doesn't require too much irreversible modification of the car?

This looks very neat. Could you provide any tips on how to make one? I've just got my Model X and plan to drive my lab in the trunk.