Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does supercharging work for 60kwh MAs without the supercharging option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To limit complexity and keep costs down, Tesla opted not to have any pay per use option. If you want to use supercharging you have to get the whole thing enabled.
They're actually relatively clear about it too, they say that supercharging is always free, but enabling the car costs money.

Pay as you go would be a nice option, but I understand and agree with Tesla's current policy of lifetime supercharging paid at once. It reduces lots of complications later on, such as making thousands of small transactions over time and having to pay for credit card terminals and merchant fees. This is a much smarter way to go.
Though with the rapid increasing numbers of Teslas on the road, they need to continue opening lots more superchargers

Do they not work at all or can you set up "pay as you use" accounts?

Tesla is very clear about the Supercharging use model: you pay for Supercharger access when you buy your car -- or you can pay to add the capability to the car later -- and then it is free for the life of that car . You cannot transfer it to your next Tesla. It is tied to the car, and it is unrelated to battery size.

There is no "pay as you use" model.

Simple, straightforward, efficient.

Some 60 buyers try to estimate how many times they would use a supercharger on trips, how much it would cost per use, is it worth that price per use vs. taking their other ICE car, etc. Forget all that. What you don't realize is once you've driven your Model S any distance, you won't want to take your ICE on long trips. Look at it as the price of car is $2000 higher than what you were thinking, buy the car with the supercharger option enabled, and never think about it again. When you sell or trade the car you'll get it back on the other end anyway because the new owner would otherwise have to pay $2500 to enable supercharging, which they will almost certainly want to do.

Sorry I didn't understand what that video was trying to portray: based on my interpretation of the video text, the white 60 did not have supercharging enabled but a laptop was connected to the car, something was done to the car and then the white 60 could supercharge? That can't be right.

Yes, that is right. But the point of my posting of the video was to answer the OP's question about what happens when a 60 that doesn't have SC enabled tries to SC, and that is part of this video. The laptop stuff is extraneous.

Some 60 buyers try to estimate how many times they would use a supercharger on trips, how much it would cost per use, is it worth that price per use vs. taking their other ICE car, etc.
I did some napkin calculations for my 85 while killing time at a supercharger and IIRC it was something like 173 rounds of 80+% "fillups" was the breakeven point for me on the electricity cost. I don't know if I've passed that number yet but I suspect by TMC Connect 2016 that will definitely be the case.

Yes, that is right. But the point of my posting of the video was to answer the OP's question about what happens when a 60 that doesn't have SC enabled tries to SC, and that is part of this video. The laptop stuff is extraneous.

Was the person with the laptop who somehow on-the-fly enabled supercharging in a non-supercharging enabled S60 a Tesla employee?

It was a Tesla employee (part of the Supercharger team) with a Tesla car if I remember correctly. Either way supercharging can be enabled remotely by Tesla, no need to plug in a laptop.

In fact, I have heard of several cases of a one-time enable to help 60 owners who did not understand and really needed a charge. These "promos" probably lead to many Supercharger Enable sales...

...they say that supercharging is always free, but enabling the car costs money.

So, in other words, it's not free. It bothers me when a company says that something you have to pay for is "free". It seems to me, Tesla needs to look up the definition of "free":

adverb

• 1.without cost or payment.

According to the definition of "free" all 60's should work if Supercharging really was free. It's not. That's like saying the gym I attend is free to use but in actual fact I have to first buy a membership to attend. Or the Sirius lifetime subscription I paid $500 for makes it free for me to listen to satellite radio whenever I want. No, I paid $500 for that "free" service. I don't think my gym or Sirius would even think of using the word "free" when "unlimited" and "lifetime subscription" are more apt descriptions. Tesla should be above such marketing gimmicks and replace the word "free" with "unlimited Supercharger use for a one-time fee".

So, in other words, it's not free. It bothers me when a company says that something you have to pay for is "free". It seems to me, Tesla needs to look up the definition of "free":

adverb

• 1.without cost or payment.

According to the definition of "free" all 60's should work if Supercharging really was free. It's not. That's like saying the gym I attend is free to use but in actual fact I have to first buy a membership to attend. Or the Sirius lifetime subscription I paid $500 for makes it free for me to listen to satellite radio whenever I want. No, I paid $500 for that "free" service. I don't think my gym or Sirius would even think of using the word "free" when "unlimited" and "lifetime subscription" are more apt descriptions. Tesla should be above such marketing gimmicks and replace the word "free" with "unlimited Supercharger use for a one-time fee".
The 60s aren't paying a one time fee for supercharging. They're paying for the hardware and software in the car that makes the car capable to supercharge. You may think that's the same thing, but it's certainly legitimate for Tesla to describe it otherwise. If you recall that was originally how the option was described, $1000 for the hardware and $1000 for the software. Then they announced it was going to be in all 60's so people could decide later, or for resale, but probably it was just cheaper to build all cars the same way.

The 60s aren't paying a one time fee for supercharging. They're paying for the hardware and software in the car that makes the car capable to supercharge. You may think that's the same thing, but it's certainly legitimate for Tesla to describe it otherwise. If you recall that was originally how the option was described, $1000 for the hardware and $1000 for the software. Then they announced it was going to be in all 60's so people could decide later, or for resale, but probably it was just cheaper to build all cars the same way.

That's semantics. Either supercharging is free or it's not free. My gym could say it's free to attend but you must pay for us to produce the membership card (hardware) and to scan you in every time (software) but that would insult our intelligence. Sirius could say the same thing with their lifetime subscription, even if you had to take it in to enable the feature.

Tesla's current language is clear that the cost of Supercharging is included with the 85 kWh battery and available for an extra charge with the 60.

Agreed. The cost is included meaning you are paying for it because it's factored into the price of the car; or it's an extra on the 60, also meaning, of course, that you must pay for it. So, as a matter of fact, supercharging is not free, as they state on their Supercharging webpage:

ROAD TRIPS MADE EASY

Charge in minutes, for free
Tesla Superchargers allow Model S owners to travel for free between cities along well-traveled highways in North America, Europe and Asia. Superchargers provide half a charge in as little as 20 minutes and are strategically placed to allow owners to drive from station to station with minimal stops.

It must be paid for one way or another in order to use it. I personally don't like how Tesla tries to piecemeal it up to justify the use of the word "free". I would have hoped such marking would be considered deceptive, gimmicky and beneath them. Even if it can be justified then, in my view, a company should not try to justify marketing that can be perceived as being deceptive. There is a saying that a perception of a conflict is a conflict. The same reasoning should apply here.

Last edited: