Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Design Studio Now Showing Full Price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The TM Model S Design Studio appears to have changed. It is now showing the full price of the car (when the cash option is selected) rather than the price inclusive of the $7,500 tax credit. In addition, below the full price it says "Save $7,500 with EV incentives." Likewise, below the large font price section, the smaller window shows the full cash price-$7,500 tax credit.

Makes sense to show that price. Lease and finance price also show starting price and then below "plus xxx in EV savings" rather than inclusive of HOV lane time savings and all that variable stuff. Wasn't there a Calif. dealer association bickering about the wording on the web a while back? Here is the link California Dealers Accuse Tesla Of 'Misleading' Customers With Financing Promises

As Model X and then Model III approach, more pedestrian buyers will want clear pricing and also clear understanding of the federal tax credit. Many don't understand it. Even Ford and GM dealer salespeople call it a rebate, which it is not.

@iadbound, nice pickup. I was just on the Design Studio page 10 hours ago and that change was not implemented yet, but now I see the change you posted about.

I think it is an improvement, and a more honest way of portraying the price. Besides, the Federal tax credit is going away for Tesla sometime around 2016 when they sell their 200,000th vehicle (right?) so they need to starting getting people used to not assuming that will apply to their future purchase, and start saving up now! ;-)

Last edited:
Definitely think that's a good move on their part. It was very annoying when I was considering affordability of initial purchase. If it was instant savings that's one thing, but since you do need to pay/finance to reach the full amount and only get the money back several months later it makes far more sense to highlight it but NOT include it by default.

I think it is an improvement, and a more honest way of portraying the price. Besides, the Federal tax credit is going away for Tesla sometime around 2016 when they sell their 200,000th vehicle (right?) so they need to starting getting people used to not assuming that will apply to their future purchase, and start saving up now! ;-)
It's 200,000 cars sold for use in the U.S., not total, so I don't think the tax credit is going away that soon.

I am so proud to see this change! I was a bit disappointed with the lack of transparency on the actual cost of the model s when I finally placed my own order last month. As Tesla Motors goes mainstream in the future, typical non-EV owners will discover many more hidden costs such as upgrading electrical, adding outlets, higher utility bills with TOU adjustments, insurance, tax, etc. We shouldn't try to "protect" non-EV consumers from sticker shock on the actual order of the car, there will be enough sticker shock as things add up that change their environment.

At TMC Connect I enjoyed Chelsea Sexton's talk where she made a nod that as the EV goes mainstream, the conversation needs to move to monthly cost (actual cost – not such silliness on how much time/money you lose gasing up an ICE car). The monthly cost needs to move closer to $500 or less for the cost of EV ownership/lease. We're hopefully going to see this with Generation III. I think Tesla tried to talk about the benefits of EV with the "TRUE COST OF OWNERSHIP," but I don't think it works for those not already sold on getting a Tesla. It's not a good sales tool from what I've seen.

I've tried to talk others into looking further into a Tesla, and twice I've received feedback that they felt Tesla was misleading during the Design Studio process. This caused them to look at all numbers given by Tesla with skepticism.

A six-year loan on $40 K car "out the door" is $555 with 0% interest. The Model III will be "about $40K" based on what Simon Sproule has said. Add in the $1K destination charges, HPWC + electrician, state taxes and well-appointed options and you go up fast.

Leasing for three years, 36K miles with about 50% residual is going to be up around $350/mo. Add in electric and higher insurance and so forth, $400/mo. So cost of ownership still is easily over $1/mile there. Chelsea should be talking "cost per mile" when comparing cars. Cost per month is where you know what check you write to the bank - but don't always factor in gasoline and maintenance costs.

That still isn't mainstream where someone rolls out a Dodge Dart with it's quoted "40mpg" with a $220/mo payment on a lease. I live in an area of .16-.17/kWh electricity. That means compared to $3.60 gas, 40 miles in an EV is roughly $2.20 computing in charging losses (kWh lost during charging but not driven). The Model III will compete with the BMW 3-series for those who want something new and fun to drive and who can afford it. I guess this is "mainstream" but in my neck of the woods (remote suburbs of a large city), I see 2 to 1 used car dealerships over new car dealerships and the typical purchase is under $10K. When buying new, people are leasing and thinking with this "per-month" mentality. What they actually save choosing a $40K EV over say a $32K new ICE or even something more luxurious and used (ie. Audi A6 or S4) is going to be a mindset change.

The more EVs on the road, the more acceptance they will bring. But we also need to push for "convenience equivallence" - more charging opportunities, more DC fast charging stations and more public acceptance so ICE drivers aren't constantly blocking charging stations out in public. As EVs proliferate, there is a mindset by ICE drivers that they are weird and the more aggressive ones act out by ICEing the stations. It can go the other way too. I've seen old Youtube videos of Prius drivers cursing out idling pick-up truck drivers who are parked nearby. Both sides have an entitlement attitude, at times. And I think this will be worse since EVs themselves - being highly efficient - may take away jobs from the auto industry. Brake repair, engine maintenance, mufflers and the good old "oxygen sensors" go away. Lots less to break, far more of a car's lifetime potential of an EV over an ICE.

Last edited: