Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help please?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i was driving 60ish mph and had to slow down on an exit ramp for ezpass. this was when when i heard a really loud (maybe it was loud because the radio was off. girlfriend was on the phone) clicking/clinging sound. i didn't run over anything (or atleast i could see), nor i felt any "impact" from the sound. i went about my business and decided to take a look under the car when i got back home. nothing looks unusual, except there is this wire thing sticking out of an opening near rear wheel on the driver side. it looks like there's also similar opening on the opposite. can anyone of you make anything out of it? or i'm just too paranoid?

delivery in late june with 43k-ish vin. car has 2100 miles on it.

Attachments

• what is this.JPG
    what is this.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 624
  • what is this (2).JPG
    what is this (2).JPG
    808.1 KB · Views: 591
Last edited:
Did you call your service center? How about a picture?

Really difficult to offer help based on this. Maybe someone else is more willing to hazard guesses, but you should just take it in.

it's 9pm in the east coast already. i guess i'll try tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you provide a closer, in-focus picture? Really hard to identify anything in the current picture.

there. thats the best iphone camera could do for me. thanks for looking!

Ok, on my car that thing hanging down is a plastic screw. I touched it with my finger and it is completely loose - it moves freely. I don't understand what its purpose could possibly be. But my car's annual inspection was done two days ago, so surely if it was a problem they would have flagged it. My car is doing fine right now, no problems that I know of.
help1.JPG
help2.JPG

I think the issue with the picture is that the "thing" in question is over-exposed and washed out.

Regardless, from what I can gather in the picture, it looks like you hit something metallic, and a shred of metal off of whatever you hit stuck to the underbody of the car. You can hit surprisingly small or lightweight metallic objects and still hear quite a thunk in the car. If you inspect the underbody and don't see any damage to the car itself, I wouldn't be too worried about it. If you see underbody damage, definitely take it in to have it inspected.

But again, from what I can see it looks like you're seeing a chunk off of whatever it is that you ran over.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah ok the latest posts came in as I was writing my last post.

Based on that, whatever you ran over looks to have just torn some metal from the screw, like a piece of string cheese. Probably not a critical item, but call your service center in the morning and seek their recommendation. My guess is that it's something that can just be replaced at your next scheduled service visit....or maybe the shred can just be removed, no harm done.

Ok, on my car that thing hanging down is a plastic screw. I touched it with my finger and it is completely loose - it moves freely. I don't understand what its purpose could possibly be. But my car's annual inspection was done two days ago, so surely if it was a problem they would have flagged it. My car is doing fine right now, no problems that I know of.
View attachment 56029View attachment 56030

thanks electricfan. your pics put me at ease because i have long trip tomorrow. :)

and i'll definitely have the car checked out soon.

thanks everybody!