Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 85 KWH Non-Performance 0 To 60 Test - 4.9 SECONDS!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting that the limit line appeared after a couple of seconds (at 27s in the video), but the car continued to slightly exceed it until he lifted off. Must try that later.

Less interesting is the choice of music, Carley Rae Jepsen.

How normal is it for an 85 to beat its expected 5.4 time? Is this MS modified at all?

Also, I noticed this:
“While this is well ahead of Tesla’s quoted numbers, we think it will do even better with a full charge.”

So it could be even faster? Geez.

It's not likely to matter, but the S85 comes with 19" tires.

I thought I read something on here about the bigger 21" tires help with better traction... and thus better off the line? Is that wrong?

On a similar note. When I test drove the tesla, I never was comfortable flooring it from a dead stop. I did not want to peel out or fish it with the tesla employee in the car. Can that be an issue with it or is it taken care of? I have another rather powerful car and it has an ASR on it that eliminates any spin. But boy, if you turn off the ASR I feel like I am driving on ice! Sorry for the ignorance, but what is the reason to turn ASR off in a car like that?

I thought I read something on here about the bigger 21" tires help with better traction... and thus better off the line? Is that wrong?

if you're talking about 19" goodyear vs 21" continental, yes.

if you're talking about 19" vs 21" in general, no. the right 19" tire that has just enough grip will beat the same 21" every time in a straight drag race for a bunch of reasons. less unsprung weight for one. less tread width and thus less rolling resistance for another.

i'd like to see a P85 with 21" cont's or P85+ with 21" michelins beat my P85 with 19" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's in a quarter mile. not gonna happen ;)

it is. you can tell by the thinner bezel around the console which was a very recent change.
Elon said the current MS is several hundred pounds lighter than the initial cars. Several hundred could be 10% of the several thousand curb weight of the MS. So it makes sense that S85 is now accelerating 10% (=0.5s) faster than the original cars did.
Question is: Since Dragtimes ran an early P85 at 3.9 s, would a current P85 cut 10% of that to 3.5 s?

When I test drove the tesla, I never was comfortable flooring it from a dead stop. I did not want to peel out or fish it with the tesla employee in the car. Can that be an issue with it or is it taken care of? I have another rather powerful car and it has an ASR on it that eliminates any spin. But boy, if you turn off the ASR I feel like I am driving on ice! Sorry for the ignorance, but what is the reason to turn ASR off in a car like that?
With dry non-bumpy pavement, this is a non-issue pretty reliably. Traction Control takes care of it. FYI.

As for the Tesla employee in the front passenger seat... When taking my test drive they told me to floor it. I did without hesitation. That said, I lifted pretty quickly because I don't like tickets.

- - - Updated - - -

See the limiter that shows up in the video when they're approaching the max output? It's because of the SOC of the battery. I'm saying that I get 305 kW max at higher SOC when the orange limiter does not appear.
There are multiple factors, not just the SOC.