Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radio lockup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm i the only one a little miffed by tech supports response when the radio system "locks up" completely because of a issue with slacker radio the response is "reboot".

Don't get me wrong I love me Telsa, but to have a tech support conversation go like this:

Tech: slacker is down so it locks up the radio
Me: so if slacker drops I can't switch to FM?
Tech: reboot your touchscreen
Me: I've seen an issue with the radio locking up in forums, is there a bug request or an eta on when this will be fixed in the firmware
Tech: it's a slacker radio issue, they are down.
Me: I understand but, my entire radio shouldn't be locked because of that, is there a known trouble ticket for this or an eta on a fix.
Tech: please reboot your touchscreen, that is the fix.
Me: so rather than fixing the issue we are now reduced to Cntl+alt+del in our 100k car.
Tech: yes, our fix is to reboot the touchscreen.

Are you on 5.12 by any chance? I've experienced numerous quirks since I was updated from 5.11 to 5.12, including all of a sudden slacker will stop working (requiring a reboot), the charge port door does not open at times (no clicking sound heard), sometimes the charge port door pops open a few seconds after I close it, etc. When I initiate a reboot now, the screen will go blank, restart, go blank again, restart, and sometimes go blank a third time before restarting. None of these things happened when I was on 5.11 or earlier versions, so I believe they must be related to the 5.12 update.

Also, since getting 5.12, my car periodically indicates that the TPMS sensors are not communicating and to contact service. I have an appointment with the service center for September 10, but am hoping that 6.0 comes out beforehand and fixes all these issues.

At work I reboot my computer when it locks up. If that doesn't work I call IT.

In my Tesla I reboot the screens when something freezes. If that doesn't work I call Tech Support.

My IT doesn't write the code.

Tech Support at Tesla doesn't write the code. Tesla is actively rewriting the code and knows about most of the bugs. I call them about bugs that are not mentioned here or are dangerous.

I've had a similar issue. One morning when I started the car and drove away, the radio failed to start playing from the same station it was on when I had parked the night before. Nothing worked on the radio. The center console showed station info but it simply didn't make a sound. I tried all choices, Internet, local radio, recently played, phone or USB Flash drive. Nothing played. It switched to each different choice, but no sound. Rebooted the center console and the dash. nothing made any difference.

Finally, just as a last resort, I unplugged the USB Flash drive, and then the radio sound started from the station if was on where I lasted tried getting sound. I don't use the USB often. It had not been bumped or removed in weeks. No reason as I can tell that this should have made a difference, but it did.

So, next time, removing and re-inserting the USB Flash drive will be the first thing I try.