Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First night and I scratched a front rim T_T

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Made an approach to curb too close, and the 21" rim isn't forgiving... guess a 19" would be less of a problem...

BTW I'm a newbie to this forum. Is there an FAQ where I can find answers to attachments/images?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    965.9 KB · Views: 986
Last edited:
Used following garage to repair bad damages of 2 rims on a fairly new car: Cyclewheel, 31 Poplar Street
I didn't believe it's possible, but after the repair the rims looked like new. Couldn't believe my eyes. Like magic. No idea how they do it. Takes a couple of hours and costs HK$300-500/rim.

Used following garage to repair bad damages of 2 rims on a fairly new car: Cyclewheel, 31 Poplar Street
I didn't believe it's possible, but after the repair the rims looked like new. Couldn't believe my eyes. Like magic. No idea how they do it. Takes a couple of hours and costs HK$300-500/rim.

They are going to looooove the model S there. Maybe set up an account, or get club discount?

John, sorry to hear about this happened to you. Do we really need "rim cams" to drive the Model S? Cannot believe it hasn't been made yet. To those in the know, is it mainly the front rims - that would seem plausible. I wonder if you could have a small camera hidden in the top of the wheel fairing, would it be able to look outside of the wheel? Maybe it would just happen to be that if the curb disappears behind the edge of the tire - you are too close (depending on 19" or 21" I would imagine, as well as the ride height).

I am not aware of a FAQ, but here are the essentials, as I know them.

Use the icon in the line above the text field, third from right (between the red x remove link, and the movie clip strip. Hover over it and it will say Insert Image). As the Insert Image dialogue pop-up appears, there are two tabs, one for linked images, and one to upload from your computer. I usually use the local one, and then choose "Basic Uploader" in the lower right corner. Choose the file, and you are back in the window. Nothing happens. It says "Upload Image" just below, click that, and still nothing happens. Well, something does indeed happen, but there is no progress bar, just press upload - once - and wait. When the pop-up window disappears, you should be able to see a small version of your image. Don't worry, once you save, it becomes full size.

Later, when you want to replace the image, it keeps sitting as an attachment, so annoying! The only way I found to replace an image is to use the "Go Advanced" next to "Post Quick Reply", and from there, find "Manage Attachments".

When I update the HK delivery tally image, I go through that every time. Advanced, manage, delete image, are you sure? Yes (that's why I clicked delete), save ....

Maybe there is an easier way, but I haven't found it yet.

Sorry to hear that, this is the second time I hear about the possible scratch problems with 21" wheel. The first time was from a junior technician from Tesla at the First Delivery Event at Kai Tak, Hong Kong. He told me about it when I told him I'm getting the 19".

Last edited:
Yes Lerxt - you can get Alloy Gator rim protectors at address below. I am planning on doing this but with the silver rims not sure whether to go with black or silver colour. Need to find time to do it too so if anyone else does it at this place please let us know. Cost is $1880 to buy and install 4. $1380 to buy only. (Got this from the dealer).
Victory (Ting Kee) Tyre & Auto Accessories co.
148, Austin Road, Kowloon HK
Tel: 23677268

photo.jpg
ok I had silver alloy gators installed today. Took it to the place I mentioned above and they removed all four tyres and inserted the alloy gator between the tyre and the rim and lightly hammered (with rubber hammer) it into place. All done very professionally. Took about 1 hour. I certainly would not have been able to even figure out how to do it myself. Picture attached.

I feel your pain. I haven't personally scratched anything on my car yet, but the 2nd time my husband drove it, he scratched the passenger side back rim on the curb while trying to parallel park.

Him: "Am I getting close to the curb?"
Me: "You're on the curb."

Later, he chipped some paint off the edge of the back door when he flung open the door and it hit a cinder-block wall.

It hurts so bad.

"Alloy gator" is much better then the stick-on protector.

Produbs is another name and you can find them on Taobao for RMB200 a set

But I think with protection like Alloygator, it cost money to remove it and reinstall a new one (after your rim hit a curb, it protects the rim, but the protector will be scratched and looks ugly). You may have to buy another set of 4 Alloygator.

With cheaper protector, you just get another set and reinstall it yourself.