Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have the hard top?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the hardtop but have not put it on for a while as it's still sunny enough in the bay area. I don't remember a big difference of noise between the soft and hard tops.

Actually it feels like you hear the engine more with the soft top than topless. Same with the hard top.

The big difference with the hard top is that it's harder to enter/exit the car than with the soft top. The hard top is a bit lower on the sides than the soft top.

Unless you live in a climate that gets snow, I don't quite see a reason for the hard top. The soft top is much easier to install/remove, it works fine in the rain, it can be taken with you in the trunk, and it doesn't hide the nice carbon fiber roll bar. I didn't buy the hard top for my car and haven't once wished I had.

Unless you live in a climate that gets snow, I don't quite see a reason for the hard top. The soft top is much easier to install/remove, it works fine in the rain, it can be taken with you in the trunk, and it doesn't hide the nice carbon fiber roll bar. I didn't buy the hard top for my car and haven't once wished I had.

Yeah, I live at 8,500 feet and get nearly 200 inches of snow a year. I've never had a convertible (or a soft top, much less), but I'm not especially worried about the moisture or even some snow load. The car will be garaged and I'm sure top is sturdy enough to easily handle a foot or more of white stuff in a pinch.

I mostly would choose the top for any noise reduction and the convenience of having a little more security.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Ben

Am I the only one who thinks the hard top looks so very much worse than the soft top? I do like the idea of a hard top, but for reasons I haven't been able to figure out the Roadster's hard top does look like a bad toupee.

PS: Googling to find the bad toupee reference I found the link... on teslamotors.com

I think the same-color top looks weird, too. I much prefer the contrasting, carbon fiber top, especially with the lighter color options.

... I mostly would choose the top for any noise reduction and the convenience of having a little more security...

I seem to remember this photo where a hard top might have been appreciated.

Roger

Attachments

• Tesla on the bottom.jpg
    Tesla on the bottom.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 291
hard top

I have a hard top and like it for the hot rainy Florida summer. Personally, I like the look of the car with it on and feel that it is a little quieter and roomier than the soft one. Just removed it yesterday and was really thrilled to have my open roadster back. For temperate weather, there is no doubt that the soft/open option is the way to go. But for brutally hot and rainy weather, I like the hard one.

Attachments

• DSC00241.JPG
    DSC00241.JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC00242.jpg
    DSC00242.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 152
  • DSC00243.JPG
    DSC00243.JPG
    213 KB · Views: 183