Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two drivers, two drastically diff seat positions: Anyone else have this problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am 6' tall and keep the seat all the way back and lowered all the way... my wife is 5'-2"and keep the seat close to the front and up in the air... We take turns driving the MS... in order for me to get the seat back on my settings I have to squeeze my way into the seat while ducking to get into the seat and to the screen to select my profile...

Am I missing something... is there a way for the car to know who is getting in with the key-fob being used or something else? or do I have to squeeze in like I have been doing...

If so, this really needs to be changed... at least in my mercedes I can select position 1, 2 or 3 on the door before I enter the car.

I am over six feet and my spouse is just under 5' 2" and 110 lbs. She very kindly selects my profile when exiting the car, saying it makes it even easier for her to get out with the seat farther back. And she prefers that I leave the car without changing the profile to her settings, saying it makes it easier for her to get in. So I have the best of all worlds :)

Make the wife put the seat back when she exits or she does not drive!:love:

Seriously I could see where this would be a problem! Perhaps an addition to the mobile app, or sensing which key is opening the door to preset the seats for you would be a good suggestion to customer care.

I have the same problem. One workaround is to convince your wife to set to your profile when exiting the car. Or make a profile called "exit" which moves the steering wheel and the seat back and up. The problem with any profiles of any kind being tied to the keyfob is there are cases where both fobs are in the car.

I am over six feet and my spouse is just under 5' 2" and 110 lbs. She very kindly selects my profile when exiting the car, saying it makes it even easier for her to get out with the seat farther back. And she prefers that I leave the car without changing the profile to her settings, saying it makes it easier for her to get in. So I have the best of all worlds :)

Great idea! Showed this to the Missus and it did not register for several seconds but we laughed about it when it finally dawned on her and she readily agreed it is a good idea since she does have tight moves when exiting from her driving position.

I am 6' tall and keep the seat all the way back and lowered all the way... my wife is 5'-2"and keep the seat close to the front and up in the air... We take turns driving the MS... in order for me to get the seat back on my settings I have to squeeze my way into the seat while ducking to get into the seat and to the screen to select my profile...

Am I missing something... is there a way for the car to know who is getting in with the key-fob being used or something else? or do I have to squeeze in like I have been doing...

If so, this really needs to be changed... at least in my mercedes I can select position 1, 2 or 3 on the door before I enter the car.
Do the seat controls not work unless you're sitting in it? You could use the controls on the side to slide the seat back before you get in, then select your profile to get the full reconfiguration once you're in.

Do the seat controls not work unless you're sitting in it? You could use the controls on the side to slide the seat back before you get in, then select your profile to get the full reconfiguration once you're in.

Who wants to have to do that every time?

Clearly the best option to avoid this problem entirely is buying another MS. That is what I am trying to convince my wife, anyway...

It was just an alternative to squeezing in the seat. Ideally, the seat would know your fob. I swear Tesla at one point talked about that being the case eventually, but it's long gone I guess. It's a shame. My wife's 2008 Acura, at 1/3rd the price, has that feature with it's fob.
I believe they discussed such things in the October unveil in 2011. At the same time they talked about the car learning your schedule and automatically adjusting charging. "Why don't all cars do this?" was one of the phrases I remember. Apparently the answer is "because it's hard (to get right, and stable and make everyone happy, etc.)".

It was just an alternative to squeezing in the seat. Ideally, the seat would know your fob. I swear Tesla at one point talked about that being the case eventually, but it's long gone I guess. It's a shame. My wife's 2008 Acura, at 1/3rd the price, has that feature with it's fob.

Oh, I know. Even an option that when the door opens, the seat just goes back. My Lexus, MB, Infiniti and Jeep all do/did this (well, actually it does/did this when the car is shut off, but....)

I am 6'4"...I have to adjust it on the outside any time my wife used the car last as "squeezing in" isn't even an option. I did create a "get out" profile......but she has never uses it. The toilet seat idea is perfect. I might just start leaving it up until she starts figuring out how the "get out" option works

This is pretty much the best current solution to this particular problem until Tesla decides to tie it in to the key fob.