Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squeaky fan?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed a squeaky sound coming from the front of my S85 (most pronounced when standing outside the car), that seems to originate from the HVAC fan. It's quite obvious when the car is powering down. Is this normal?

AC running audio clip
AC shutting down audio clip

Thanks! The wisdom of this board has been amazingly helpful in my first 2 weeks of ownership!

Just had my right side fan replaced for this same problem last week (after 1 year and 24k miles). Yours is actually worse sounding than mine. I only heard the problem on mine when it was spinning down like yours plus when the fan was running at a lower speed while the car was charging. The bearings have gone bad on the fan and your SC will replace it for you.

Super common. If you turn off the A/C, you will hear it. Mine did it when new, and they attempted to fix it, but remained the same. They eventually replaced the fan, and it got even worse - Squeaks even when running (not just spinning-down) and you can hear it from a block away. They replaced it again, and now I'm back to squeaking only when spinning down and it's much quieter generally. There are many discussions about this in many threads over the last couple of years.

i had the "chirping" hamster wheel squeak upon delivery too. took a video clip of it and showed the local SC and they scheduled a repair and replaced both AC condensers and it's quiet now. mine was incredibly loud and obvious to anyone in the garage or passing by in a parking lot.

it is normal to have some noise upon shutdown when the compressor is winding down, but a loud hamster wheel squeak is not normal.

I'd just assumed the squeaking during shutdown was normal, but it sounds like I've got the same issue. I'll also be contacting my local SC once I capture that audio as well.

Thanks to everyone so far for confirming.

No response from Tesla yet. How long do they usually take?

Tesla called me (at 9:50pm!) the day after I posted this and left a message saying "we heard you were trying to reach us - please call" - wonder if they monitor these forums?

They forwarded my concern to the closest SC (no local SC in Detroit). Last I heard (8/20) the rep was going to play my audio clip to a supervisor, and get back to me.

I'll keep everyone posted when the issue is resolved.

They replaced my driver's side condenser fan yesterday. No shroud or soundproofing is mentioned on the service invoice yet the AC seems considerably quieter. I still hear slight hamster wheel chirping on shutdown, but it's much more subtle. The biggest difference is that the passenger and driver side floor no longer feels like a vibrating motel bed when the AC is in non-Range mode.

I have the squeaking-on-shutdown (and have had it from when I first purchased the vehicle), but otherwise it doesn't bother me (it's not particularly noisy during normal operation). Palo Alto SC told me this was normal, although I'm not convinced. Should I be worried that the fan is going to die prematurely?

I just got my P85, last day in Sept 2014. Just started to hear the squeaking sound under the hood. It can be there when the compressor is on and especially when the fan winds down to turn off. I'll keep an ear out for it and see how often it happens.

Also, the reason I responded to this particular post was that I to notice a slight vibrating side floor. So the compressor fan fixes that vibration?

Can a ranger fix that problem or does it have to be fixed by a SC?

They replaced my driver's side condenser fan yesterday. No shroud or soundproofing is mentioned on the service invoice yet the AC seems considerably quieter. I still hear slight hamster wheel chirping on shutdown, but it's much more subtle. The biggest difference is that the passenger and driver side floor no longer feels like a vibrating motel bed when the AC is in non-Range mode.

Last edited: