Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Browser crashes climate controls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had a issue with the climate control system while driving. I was driving with the AC running and during my drive the AC stopped and the climate controls at bottom of center screen went grey and temp readouts on driver and center display went blank. The only way to restore climate controls and AC was rebooting the center.

I reported issue to service center and they said one other owner reported the same issue and there was a software update to fix and they will push to my car over the next day or so. The update never got sent and I called back the service center a few days later and they said engineering would like to review logs.

So I called back today to find out if there was an update and they said the issue occurred because I had left the browser on businessweek.com and over time the browser used up all available memory and caused the climate system to stop working. They recommended leaving browser on Google.com.

I rarely use the browser and when driving I always have music and maps on center screen. So it just doesn't seem right to me that the browser would eat up all resources when I don't even have the browser open or active on center screen.

Has anyone else experienced this before and is this known behavior with the browser?

No info about your specific problem, but I have noticed that when I leave my browser on a page that periodically refreshes itself, and then switch to viewing Camera and Nav (my usual configuration), hours later when I go to the browser it seems to have refreshed by itself on the background, as it has all the new data already available as soon as I go to it.

So the theory of some web page using up all the memory sounds plausible.

Edit: By the way, doing this seems to have completely gotten rid of my mobile app access problems. The car stays awake and responds immediately to the mobile access always when I have left the browser on a page that periodically refreshes itself.

No info about your specific problem, but I have noticed that when I leave my browser on a page that periodically refreshes itself, and then switch to viewing Camera and Nav (my usual configuration), hours later when I go to the browser it seems to have refreshed by itself on the background, as it has all the new data already available as soon as I go to it.

So the theory of some web page using up all the memory sounds plausible.

Edit: By the way, doing this seems to have completely gotten rid of my mobile app access problems. The car stays awake and responds immediately to the mobile access always when I have left the browser on a page that periodically refreshes itself.

That's correct, and as long as you don't care about the vampire load, it's fine. Turning off sleep mode would accomplish the same thing.

I recently had a issue with the climate control system while driving. I was driving with the AC running and during my drive the AC stopped and the climate controls at bottom of center screen went grey and temp readouts on driver and center display went blank. The only way to restore climate controls and AC was rebooting the center.

I reported issue to service center and they said one other owner reported the same issue and there was a software update to fix and they will push to my car over the next day or so. The update never got sent and I called back the service center a few days later and they said engineering would like to review logs.

So I called back today to find out if there was an update and they said the issue occurred because I had left the browser on businessweek.com and over time the browser used up all available memory and caused the climate system to stop working. They recommended leaving browser on Google.com.

I rarely use the browser and when driving I always have music and maps on center screen. So it just doesn't seem right to me that the browser would eat up all resources when I don't even have the browser open or active on center screen.

Has anyone else experienced this before and is this known behavior with the browser?

I locked up the entire 17" by logging into twitter on the browser. Not only is the browser slow and partially compatible its possible to crash a lot of things hitting the wrong sites, sitting on them etc. FWIW after reboot I could log into twitter and tweet away (I was parked in case you're wondering).

Thanks for the responses. I was frustrated with the way the service center handled the issue. They told me different things and I had to keep calling for two weeks to get a response.

The part that was most frustrating is that they tell me I cannot use the browser the way I want and need to leave it on google.com or teslamotors.com unless I want to keep having crashes.