Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High-Amp AC Level 2 Charging at Newark Delaware Supercharger Site

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lanny

Nov 29, 2011
MD
A few months ago I posted about an initiative backed by the University of Delaware and the Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (DNREC) to install high-amp Level 2 charging stations in Rehoboth Beach, DE as part of a program to install a charging network throughout Delaware. I'm told by the head of that program that two high-powered (16-18 kW) Level 2 charging stations were installed at the Delaware Welcome Center in Newark about two weeks ago. Of course, this is the same rest stop where there are Tesla Superchargers.

This is great news for Roadster owners and Model S 60 cars without the Supercharger option.

Will the first person to spot them please post photos and report how fast they charge?

Lanny

Grat initiative. Anyone who can motivate folks to shift to high-amp L2 (from anemic 30A units) is a hero in my book. Sure Model S's will find little need for them, except for possible overflow on busy weekends, but for Roadsters, and eventually for other EV's, this is a positive step. I hope this spreads!

Here are some photos that JCadman22 took today of the new 75 Amp Level 2 stations at the Delaware Welcome Center.

DEwelcomecenter02.jpg
DEwelcomecenter05.jpg
DEwelcomecenter07.jpg

DEwelcomecenter03.jpg

Here are some photos that JCadman22 took today of the new 75 Amp Level 2 stations at the Delaware Welcome Center.

Looks very industrial. Probably pretty snow plow resistant, but I am concerned about the J1772 cables. The excess cable seems pretty unprotected on the tarmac and there seems to be a wear/chaffing point on the sharp edge of the pedestal that are metal and concrete.

I hope these work well. Seems like overkill if a Supercharger is going in close by.

linkster & gavine,

I think they tapped into the existing lines on those pedestals that were originally for trucks to hook into to eliminate idling to run their on-board generators. These Level 2 charging stations are part of a state-wide program to install Level 2 charging in Delaware to enable EVs, even those with smaller batteries, to travel the length and width of the state. The city commissioners of Rehoboth Beach are debating whether to set aside two parking spaces for this program and will vote on Friday.

Cottonwood,

Yikes! I see what you mean about the sharp edge of the pedestal. I'll bring that to their attention. The Delaware Welcome Center on I-95 in Newark is a good midway point for Tesla Roadster owners who might want to travel from the New York area to Washington, DC. These stations were very cost-effective to install and can support the 10 kW charging rate of the Mercedes B Class and of course pretty much all EVs.

Lanny

DEwelcomectr.png

Cottonwood,

Yikes! I see what you mean about the sharp edge of the pedestal. I'll bring that to their attention. The Delaware Welcome Center on I-95 in Newark is a good midway point for Tesla Roadster owners who might want to travel from the New York area to Washington, DC. These stations were very cost-effective to install and can support the 10 kW charging rate of the Mercedes B Class and of course pretty much all EVs.

Thanks for the explanation and acting as the conduit for feedback.

Go Delaware! This is a very enlightened program and it is so nice to see the 75-Amp J-Plugs being used.

I had not seen the "Power Port" J-Plug before. I found a 60-Amp J1772 EVSE and a 75-Amp cable/handle from Manzanita Micro using the "Power Port" name, see links below. Did the state of Delaware get Manzanita Micro to make a custom 75-Amp EVSE at a good price? That could be a nice option in other places.

Manzanita Micro: J1772 EVSE P3-Pro, 60-Amp
Manzanita Micro: J1772 75 Amp Cable/Handle

Yes, the charging stations being installed in Delaware with this program are fully open to the public. For at least the first year they are free to use and not on any network. Just plug in and charge.

Rats, I was just there and could have walked over to see these.

Someone could slip a couple feet of pipe insulation over the cable at the contact point and then copiously wrap with tape. Would be in keeping with the funky style.
--

Looks very industrial. Probably pretty snow plow resistant, but I am concerned about the J1772 cables. The excess cable seems pretty unprotected on the tarmac and there seems to be a wear/chaffing point on the sharp edge of the pedestal that are metal and concrete.

I hope these work well. Seems like overkill if a Supercharger is going in close by.

I used this today. SuperChargers are close by, but I have a 60 without SC option. Both chargers were available and I got 40A @ 29MPH. When I left, a BMW i3 was using the other charger.

Also, they added a steel braided sleeve to the cord where it meets the edge of the concrete. I should have taken a picture. Sorry.

By the way, this was the first time I saw a SuperCherger in person and all three were available.

These stations are made by Milbank Mfg. although I cant find them listed on the web. Perhaps they were made to specification for the University of Delaware's vehicle-to-grid project. UD is supplying the 75 Amp stations for this program and they are said to cost $1,500 each.

FYI, the professor handling the DE rollout sent me a brochure on these Milbank Power Port units after I wrote my letter in support of the Rehobeth chargers. He confirmed the $1500 retail cost, and said that they had to commission these because they couldn't find good off the shelf options. Sounds like they are generally available, though--shoot me a PM if you'd like the brochure (which includes contact info for the Milbank sales rep).