Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washing the Tesla outdoor car cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have not done this yet. However, while looking for a care label, I found that the cover is made by coverking. On coverking's site, there is a FAQ stating that you should hand wash with a mild soap by gently swishing around the cover in a large basin. Hang dry.

Looks like the bathtub is my only option.

If for some reason you just want to wash the outside of the cover, they mention using a mild auto soap while the cover is on the vehicle.

Machines can be dangerous for car covers. I'm not sure which CoverKing Tesla uses, but many of their products are multi-layer fabrics that are heat or adhesive-fused. Putting them in a machine can separate the layers and ruin the cover.

Most can be washed as noted above: carefully, by soaking in a tub by hand, or directly on the car. No machines.

With my California car cover for my Viper I used to wash it in a front loading washer on gentle cold with 1/4 cup of Simple Green with extra rinse. Then hung it outside on a railing to dry. Worked great.

Exactly what we did to wash ours. Used commercial laundry mat to wash, and hung it over lawn chairs to air dry.

Here is the info from California car covers regarding cleaning their covers. It does vary depending on material. My GE front loader was easily big enough for the Viper cover:

CLEANING YOUR CAR COVER

How_to_Select_Title.jpg
Proper care of your California Car Cover is vital to its performance and longevity. Dirt that builds up on top and within the car cover fabric can affect protection. Often a dirty car cover can cause paint or glass to appear dirty or fogged. Proper cleaning can extend the service life of your car cover.

The method for cleaning a car cover varies from material. Please follow our guidelines below to make sure your car cover is cleaned properly.

Do: Check your fabric care guide that was sent with your car cover for best results.
Don't: Clean a car cover in a washer with a center agitator.
Don't: Use fabric softener
Don't: Put a non-woven or specialty car cover material in the dryer.

Superweave and Ultraweave Car Covers
  • Place the car cover in a commercial washer (smaller car covers can be washed in a standard capacity home washer).
  • Top Loading Machines: Pour ¼ cup of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner into the washing machine after it has been filled with warm water.
  • Front Loading Machines: Pour cleaner directly into machine and then place cover inside.
  • Use a gentle cycle if possible.
  • Rinse the car cover twice to remove excess cleaner
  • Dry using medium heat
Stormweave, NOAH, Dustop, California Customweave, Plushweave, Softweave, Satin Fleece, Multiweave II, Extremeweave, Satin Stretch, and Corvette Designer Print Car Covers
  • Place the car cover in a commercial washer
  • Pour ¼ cup of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner into the washing machine after it has been filled with cool to warm water.
  • Use a gentle cycle if possible
  • Rinse the cover twice to remove excess cleaner.
  • Air dry.
Non-Washing Machine Option:
  • Place the California Car Cover on your vehicle inside out.
  • Mix Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner with warm water.
  • Spray or sponge cleaner onto cover.
  • Rinse thoroughly with water until suds are gone
  • Air dry.