Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

indefinite climate control (camping followup)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Following up on this thread: Tent Camping in a Model S

The poster references using heavy bags to keep the climate control on through the night. What is the control flow for deciding when to turn on/off the HVAC? I thought if you put the car in neutral, set the e-brake, and left it "running" that it would run indefinitely. Is this true?

Or is there another method that allows the HVAC to run indefinitely that is more efficient in terms of power usage? (i.e. "leaves less other stuff turned on")

Following up on this thread: Tent Camping in a Model S

The poster references using heavy bags to keep the climate control on through the night. What is the control flow for deciding when to turn on/off the HVAC? I thought if you put the car in neutral, set the e-brake, and left it "running" that it would run indefinitely. Is this true?

Or is there another method that allows the HVAC to run indefinitely that is more efficient in terms of power usage? (i.e. "leaves less other stuff turned on")

The method I italicized above works as long as you don't need to charge. The Model S won't charge unless it's in park.

So if you want to have the AC on permanently while you charge, you need to hit the brake to turn the car on and keep something in the seat so it thinks there's a person there. I thought maybe it also would work if you kept the seat buckled but didn't have weight in the seat, but maybe my mind's playing tricks on me.