Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Ocala, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received word this morning that Superchargers will be located at Market Street at Heath Brook (4414 SW College Road Ocala, FL 34474). It appears that the plans were submitted electronically and approved yesterday however permits have not been issued for construction thus far. Hopefully things move along quickly here as well.

The Paddock Mall would probably have been a better choice as there are more nearby restaurants, plus the mall is indoor, air conditioned with a food court and several major anchor stores.

The Heath Brook Market Street location is fine, but in my opinion, not as desirable as the Paddock Mall location. It is an outdoor mall that opened right at the bottom of the downturn in 2008 and has never recovered. Most of the shops and offices have never been occupied. Many of the streets show poor maintenance with lots of pot holes and other paving problems. On the bright side, there is a "Mimi's" restaurant which is excellent and a Panera bread shop. Other stores include Dillard's, Barnes & Nobles, Jos. A Bank. Orvis, Dick's & DSW shoes plus a few others. It's close to I-75 and should work well.

I'm local, so will provide pictures as construction takes place.

Received word this morning that Superchargers will be located at Market Street at Heath Brook (4414 SW College Road Ocala, FL 34474). It appears that the plans were submitted electronically and approved yesterday however permits have not been issued for construction thus far. Hopefully things move along quickly here as well.

Thanks for the information.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

The Paddock Mall would probably have been a better choice as there are more nearby restaurants, plus the mall is indoor, air conditioned with a food court and several major anchor stores.

The Heath Brook Market Street location is fine, but in my opinion, not as desirable as the Paddock Mall location. It is an outdoor mall that opened right at the bottom of the downturn in 2008 and has never recovered. Most of the shops and offices have never been occupied. Many of the streets show poor maintenance with lots of pot holes and other paving problems. On the bright side, there is a "Mimi's" restaurant which is excellent and a Panera bread shop. Other stores include Dillard's, Barnes & Nobles, Jos. A Bank. Orvis, Dick's & DSW shoes plus a few others. It's close to I-75 and should work well.

I'm local, so will provide pictures as construction takes place.

Hi Keith,

Market Street at Heath Brook

Let's hope they locate the Supercharger Station not too far from Mimi's. :biggrin:

Larry

Last edited:
Interesting. My relatively frequent drives down 75 and occasional stops at exit 350 led me to wonder/think that it might be located just west of 75 in this area, since it is closer to 75 than Paddock Mall that others were talking about. But I've never gone west when exiting, so I am concerned slightly about food options. Whenever I need food around there, I go to the amazing Amrit Palace for phenomenal Indian food. It is located roughly ½ mile east of 75, just past the light and on the north side of College Rd. It is about 1.1 miles (walk??) from the Supercharger, tho. --Alex

For those that want to track the permitting process here are instructions on how to find it online.

Here is the Ocala permit online (don't use Chrome) - Growth Management
- Go to "Permits" and search for "BLD14-0964". On the main page it doesn't say that the permit has been issued. However when you double click on that row you can see the Approved Date of 8/6/2014. Not really sure...

Permit applied for on August 8th.

Ocala Supercharger Permit Request.jpg

Larry

This one is probably the most important of them all to me. It seems like it would be a REALLY close call to get from Port St Lucie to Gainesville (approx. 223 miles), and even if you did make it you'd be almost empty with no supercharger to fill you up quickly. I'm planning my route to Gainesville from Miami for Gator football season and have three options:
(1) Miami - PSL - Gainesville
(2) Miami - PSL - Port Orange - Gville
(3) Miami - PSL - St. Augustine - Gville (this one will take the longest period of time, but will leave me with a nice buffer when I arrive in Gville to get back to a Supercharger afterwards)

I'd prefer option #1 but I'm leaning towards #3 because I'm worried about the range issue.

This one is probably the most important of them all to me. It seems like it would be a REALLY close call to get from Port St Lucie to Gainesville (approx. 223 miles), and even if you did make it you'd be almost empty with no supercharger to fill you up quickly. I'm planning my route to Gainesville from Miami for Gator football season and have three options:
(1) Miami - PSL - Gainesville
(2) Miami - PSL - Port Orange - Gville
(3) Miami - PSL - St. Augustine - Gville (this one will take the longest period of time, but will leave me with a nice buffer when I arrive in Gville to get back to a Supercharger afterwards)

I'd prefer option #1 but I'm leaning towards #3 because I'm worried about the range issue.

You will have no problem with #2. I did it to visit my in laws in Ocala and it really was not much out of the way. You can take 40 across and there is a jump off before you get to metro Ocala to go north to Gvill either on 301 or out to I75 No problem and I have a 60

For those that want to track the permitting process here are instructions on how to find it online.

Here is the Ocala permit online (don't use Chrome) - Growth Management
- Go to "Permits" and search for "BLD14-0964". On the main page it doesn't say that the permit has been issued. However when you double click on that row you can see the Approved Date of 8/6/2014. Not really sure...

It's an Applied Date of August 6th, not an Approval Date. It appears to be still under review.

attachment.php?attachmentid=57044&d=1408572984.jpg

The most recent notation says:

"(8/6/2014 11:30:13 AM LB) PLEASE PROVIDE TWO SETS OF SIGNED AND SEALED EPLANS FOR PERMITTING. WE WILL NEED A FILED NOTICE OF COMMENCEMENT. CONTRACTOR TO BE DETERMINED; MAY NEED TO REGISTER WITH THE CITY OF OCALA. BUILDING PERMIT FEE IS $698.25".

So as of August 6th there was no approved permit.

On August 13th a club member visited the site and no construction had started.

In further review of the accompanying documents, today, August 20th, Southeast Power Corporation, an electrical contractor, submitted documents serving as authorization to obtain permits for the "Car Charging Station".

View attachment Ocala Supercharger permit request.pdf

Larry

Last edited:
Applied date: 7/28/2014
Approved date: 8/6/2014

Please follow the links to the referenced documents.

The notice of commencement was on August 11. Our club member was there August 13 and no work had started.

The electrical contractor didn't authorize permitting until yesterday. (4th link down)

Permits were paid today, August 21th.

On-line system updated to show Issued Date today, August 21th.

Here's a copy of the Permit Form and Notice of Commencement Affidavit signed today August 21st by the electrical contractor.
View attachment Ocala permit and commencement.pdf

Larry

Last edited:
Construction has begun! There were workers actively working on the site this morning. I will post an overhead view of the exact location later today or tomorrow. Its in the small out parcel between Mimi's Cafe and SR 200. I can post updates & photos as construction progresses since I live in Ocala.

Construction has begun! There were workers actively working on the site this morning. I will post an overhead view of the exact location later today or tomorrow. Its in the small out parcel between Mimi's Cafe and SR 200. I can post updates & photos as construction progresses since I live in Ocala.

Hi Bryan,

Welcome to the forums and thanks for the update.

Larry

Just checked progress on the Ocala SC. The contractor seems to be doing an amazing job. It was 101 degrees per the Tesla thermometer and the crew was hard at work. The project just started on Friday, and after two days of work, the trenches have been dug, the formers for the pedestal support stanchions seem to be ready and the PVC for the wiring is in the process of being installed. While I was there, the 480 volt distribution switches arrived. Assuming the electric company can get 480 volts to a transformer, this could be a very quick installation. Since I pass by the site often, I'll provide updates.
IMG_1854s.jpg
IMG_1850s.jpg

Last edited: