Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I-40 west from burlington to ... Asheville? Canton? Knoxville? ;-)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone done the I-40 West trip from the burlington SC? I'm curious as to how far you can realistically go. The grade going up Old Fort Mountain is quite steep, so I'm wondering what the real world impact is to the range. In theory there should be a West Asheville area supercharger installed some time this year - but until then I'm trying to figure out how close I'm cutting it if I try to get from the Burlington SC out to the Canton/Waynesville area....

Here's my stats from my drive from Burlington to Asheville.

10589069_10152552926556855_1301591297_n.jpg

I range charged in Burlington to 260 miles. It was still leveling the pack when I left and I was pleasantly surprised to not lose a mile of rated range until I had used 1.2 kWh of power, so that means I really got 263 miles of rated range. Not bad for 24k miles!

Anyway, the stats above were right before getting off I-40 to I-240 towards Asheville. Got there with 56 miles of rated range left. I drove 5-10 mph over the limit with a maximum speed of 70 mph the whole way. There is a good portion where the speed limit is 70 mph and I was going the limit that whole way.

Waynesville is only another 30 miles or so, so I think it's doable, but make sure you've got a place to charge when you get there. Worst case, stop in Asheville, park in the College Street garage and use one of the free Eaton 30A EVSE's and grab a nice meal in downtown, then continue on your trip.

I have gone from Knoxville to Burlington many times. If you stay in Asheville and charge at the city garage no problem. Another route I use is Burlington to Boone and charge and a bite to eat at the HPWC at Makotos. You can do the Burlington to Knoxville easily without spending the night this way. Also you will gain several miles going of the mountain from Boone and the drive down is a hoot. If you need help in the Cookeville, Lebanon area let me know in advance and I can help. I am just of I-40 at Carthage area.

TNEVol, thanks so much for this information! I am wondering if you could provide any more information about the charging at makoto's in Boone. Is this a Tesla EVSE. What current/voltage are you able to get? If you eat at the restaurant, how much do they charge you? I have an 85kwh model s, and would Like very much to make the drive from the Burlington SC to my parents, near Oak, Ridge, TN, your suggestion really sounds like it makes this possible. I was just wondering about charging rates so I could calculate how long I would need to linger over my tempura! Thanks again so much.

TNEVol, thanks so much for this information! I am wondering if you could provide any more information about the charging at makoto's in Boone. Is this a Tesla EVSE. What current/voltage are you able to get? If you eat at the restaurant, how much do they charge you? I have an 85kwh model s, and would Like very much to make the drive from the Burlington SC to my parents, near Oak, Ridge, TN, your suggestion really sounds like it makes this possible. I was just wondering about charging rates so I could calculate how long I would need to linger over my tempura! Thanks again so much.

I've never charged there, however a friend of mine with a daughter going to App State has charged there a bunch of times. No charge for the charging. Only thing I don't know is how big of a circuit they have going to it because my friend has a single charger, so you can get at least 40A. According to plug share, people have gotten 208V / 72A.

Randomly saw this: I've charged at Makoto's in boone also. When I was there, I emailed in advance and got a reply quickly saying we were welcome to charge there for free. I ended up booking the hotel next door so I could charge overnight - which I thought was incredibly kind of the owner. We ate dinner there the first night (food was quite good, and the wait staff was great)

They have a HPWC on the back wall, which at least when I was there charged "fast" - I'll be honest that I don't remember whether it was 208v or 240v, but it charged at 40A.

App State also has a charger for one of their vehicles, located I believe near the University Police/Traffic and Parking Dept offices. To avoid a ticket and/or towing, you must get permission to park in their space and use the charger. I've been told at least one Tesla owner did just that and the Police bent over backwards to accommodate the request.