Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S on NSW High Performance Vehicle List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if they would relax this if there was a lockable (PIN?) limiter available in the firmware. Maybe this will lead to the (finally!) release of valet mode and/or teenager mode.

It looks like all versions of the Model S are Illegal for P plate drivers in NSW.
Novice Driver - High Performance Vehicles Restrictions

That certainly helps make the point that this isn't just another Nissan leaf in fancy clothing?

I am not sure whether RMS would be sophisticated enough to allow P platers to drive if tortoise mode is engaged. How would Police know when pulling the car over?

Based on the stated power to tare mass ratio of 130kW per tonne the S85 squeaks in just shy at 128.6
Sorry to disappoint but I clicked further and found the P1\P2 search and:
BannedTesla.jpg

So only an S60 if you want the kids to drive it.

Which state? I was unable to find any such restriction for QLD.

The list is from the NSW Roads and Maritime Services website (so NSW).

- - - Updated - - -

yeah but seriously whose gonna let their 15 yr old kid take their $130k P85 out for a joy ride anyway??

In Australia you have to have 120 hours supervised driving as an L driver, then do a test and get your P1 probationary plates for I think about a year and do another test, then you have P2 probationary plates for about another year (not sure of exact durations). So this is not restricting 15 year olds, this is restricting up to 19 year olds if they start driving as soon as they can and pass all tests.

Yeah - in Victoria you can't get off your P plates until 22 now!
This is seriously retarded. Here in the UK, you can drive at 17, in South Dakota, USA - 14! UNSUPERVISED
Restricting is really stupid. Here in the UK, people at 17 are restricted to 3L engines, nothing to do with power or price.
Maybe go abroad and get an International Driving Permit to use in Aussie?

This is seriously retarded. Here in the UK, you can drive at 17, in South Dakota, USA - 14! UNSUPERVISED
Restricting is really stupid. Here in the UK, people at 17 are restricted to 3L engines, nothing to do with power or price.
Maybe go abroad and get an International Driving Permit to use in Aussie?

Not sure on what basis you consider that 'restricting is really stupid' - restrictions were brought in as P platers had a higher accident rate, and a higher injury/death rate to themselves as well as other road users.

Teenagers/young adults take time to develop decision making capability - this tends to manifest itself in poor judgement and inability to assess risk.

I taught my niece to drive in a sports car in a safe environment on the road and on the racetrack. She can drive, understands traffic and is very aware of her environment and other drivers....however, it is only after an accident (in a standard sedan) that she learnt her limitations and the need to temper her confidence. In a few more years she will be a good driver - at the moment she is a highly skilled one.

I for one like high performance cars but see the sense in not giving a lethal instrument to those who have yet to learn the limits of their skills and judgement.

Cheers
David

Not sure on what basis you consider that 'restricting is really stupid' - restrictions were brought in as P platers had a higher accident rate, and a higher injury/death rate to themselves as well as other road users.

Teenagers/young adults take time to develop decision making capability - this tends to manifest itself in poor judgement and inability to assess risk.

I taught my niece to drive in a sports car in a safe environment on the road and on the racetrack. She can drive, understands traffic and is very aware of her environment and other drivers....however, it is only after an accident (in a standard sedan) that she learnt her limitations and the need to temper her confidence. In a few more years she will be a good driver - at the moment she is a highly skilled one.

I for one like high performance cars but see the sense in not giving a lethal instrument to those who have yet to learn the limits of their skills and judgement.

Cheers
David

Agree heartily. In my day it was 18. In retrospect, still too young. I thought I was bulletproof. Did, in retrospect, many stupid things. Fortunately, I got away with them. More by luck than anything else!!

Cheers
David

I agree. We could really use some form of these types of laws stateside. It would save a lot of lives.