Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New SC in Birmingham Opening Aug 12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 8.56.31 PM.png

Tesla are opening a second inner-city Supercharger at the Hyatt Regency Birmingham, following the first at The Crystal in London.

Superchargers at motorway services appear to be stalled due to their disagreement with Ecotricity. They will get back to these too (and I expect Hopwood Park and South Mimms will both be completed eventually).

Sure i had seen that there are going to be more inner city chargers as well as ones on motorway services

Tbh i expected most to be at motorway services plus ones at big out if town shopping centres i.e. medowhall, trafford centre, lakeside, white rose places like that then odd few closer to the centre possibly tagged onto a service centre

I thought the one at the M42 had pretty much completed from the "CROWD SOURCING - LETS FIND THE SUPERCHARGERS". I hope the move to the city centre isn't going to be the primary answer going forward.
If you find any, please report them here: Superchargers

Simply mail to [email protected]

That way we keep a nice and clean map of all SuperChargers.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought the one at the M42 had pretty much completed from the "CROWD SOURCING - LETS FIND THE SUPERCHARGERS". I hope the move to the city centre isn't going to be the primary answer going forward.
If you find any, please report them here: http://supercharge.info/

- - - Updated - - -

You already seem to have one I mention in the post, and there's no evidence of the ground being broken at the Burtonwood site.

I dont own a tesla but wish to. I live in central Birmingham and have noticed a steady stream of teslas arriving all week. They were all on NL or other european plates. Today I did notice something at the hyatt regency you guys might appreciate

20140812_205557.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

One more for you
20140811_194622.jpg

Nice photos, where in relation to the front door is that, never been there but suspect will visit soon :)

The second picture shows the main black building. On the far right you can just see the start of the roof that covers the drop off area. Only problem I see though is that the chargers are located in the valet carpark area. Im not sure whether youll need to be a customer to use the charge point or whether it literally is open to the public. That area is usually chained up to stop randoms going in

The second picture shows the main black building. On the far right you can just see the start of the roof that covers the drop off area. Only problem I see though is that the chargers are located in the valet carpark area. Im not sure whether youll need to be a customer to use the charge point or whether it literally is open to the public. That area is usually chained up to stop randoms going in

The answer to your question is on the Tesla website for the Birmingham SuC:-

To enter, you will need to ask the valet for permission to enter the VIP car park (1 hour free) and Supercharge.

Living in Solihull, I never have the need to go to the city centre in my car. The train is cheaper and no parking issues, I can't ever see the need to drive into the city to use the SC. Hopwood would be a much better choice due to motorway proximity. I hope Telsa doesn't make a series of bad of location choices, and find out in a years time no one uses them and we have paid for them!

Gary

Okay, this is a kind of "Trip Advisor" revue for the supercharger and the hotel as I am just back from a weekend stay there.

The Good News
If you are just going to use the superchargers it is very well organised. There is an outdoor valet station open 24 hours a day. Just pull in to the forecourt of the hotel and they are totally aware of Teslas and very proactive in helping get you in to the area and on charge. They also seem to be ensuring the stalls are clear and not blocked by other vehicles.

The hotel has a good coffee shop, easy access to toilets and is a good example of the Hyatt brand. Birmingham library is just across the road, as is the German Christmas Market at this time of year.

I had two rooms booked for two nights and even though the hotel was fully booked, service, food and room quality were all very good and the staff both efficient and friendly.

The Bad News
I picked this hotel purely on the basis that it had the superchargers and we were coming up from 135 miles south to get there. The problem is the parking. The parking spaces around the Superchargers are only available if you book a suite. Everyone else is forced to park in the public multi-storey car park for Birmingham Arena, nearly 10 minutes walk away down a steep hill. The parking spaces here are not large enough to take a Tesla and the exit way is "S" shaped and a serious challenge to your low speed driving skills to avoid catching the wall or kerbing a wheel.

I kicked up with the duty manager and managed to get in to a small car park opposite the hotel, although they only have access to this over the weekend.

Personally, this would put me off going back to stay there unless I was traveling by train. Of course, everyone makes there own choice, but at least you are fully informed of the issues now. A shame, as otherwise it is well worth a visit.

Last edited: