Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX land in Hawthorne sold to investor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not just Silicon Valley. I worked many years for a global company that owned many of the buildings we were in, but over time, the company sold them and leased them back. It gets the capital off your books and turns a capital expense into an operational one. It helps your return on capital employed.

I can think of hundreds of reason why. Here's a couple.

Maybe they don't want to show debt/long term liability on the company's balance sheet.
I'm not saying there's an issue but maybe there's environmental/clean up problem with the property.
Maybe LA/CA location doesn't have tax incentive compared to other states.
Maybe they don't think the facility doesn't meet their long term growth plans.
Maybe the eventual buyer was willing to pay more than what Space X was willing to pay.
Maybe they want to move Space X to somewhere near The Giga Factory.

You get the idea :)

For $47 million, why didn't Elon just buy the land and not have to pay rent?

SpaceX headquarters in Hawthorne acquired by New Jersey investors - LA Times

I guess my company is just different from everybody else. We leased lots of buildings when times were good, but when the recession hit they moved everybody from the leased buildings to the buildings that they owned (and the land under it). I also saw this with other companies in the industry.

The article does mention that SpaceX has a lease through 2023. By then, the company will be so huge they will probably be expanding into a larger facility anyway. Then Elon can negotiate with California for a sweetheart tax deal like he's doing with the gigafactory. Elon knows how to leverage his strengths well. He just finalized the deal with Brownsville TX to open the first orbital spaceport. Here in New Mexico we already have Spaceport America for suborbital flights with Virgin Galactic.