Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brainstorm: Eternal Signature Status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just reading a post on the other forum quoting a Ranger as stating that the AWD Model S is definitely coming at the end of this year. That set off another round of my frequent dilemma: Keep my beautiful Signature Red P85 (#2 VIN in Canada), or trade-in for an AWD with all the newer bells-and-whistles and a higher charge-rate battery?

Then it hit me! With one small policy innovation, Tesla could remove the pain of this dilemma. What if they instituted "The Eternal Signature Status?" What if Signature Model S buyers would forever have that status as special customers, independent of their current physical car? The most visible and valuable way to bestow this recognition would be for such customers to be able to order any future Tesla Model in the original, gorgeous, envied, Signature Red.

This is win-win-win for Tesla and its most loyal customers! They get continued recognition for their early confidence and "investment" in the company, Tesla keeps them loyal, AND Tesla gets to sell them more cars at a faster pace of trade-in-- very profitable!

That do you all think?

It's funny, I had this same thought recently. At some point I'm going to want to upgrade to take advantage of all the improvements in the S over time (and it's cheaper to do that than to retrofit), but didn't want to lose my Sig vehicle (even if the number is wrong). Allowing someone to get another signature vehicle from the same line would be awesome. Not holding my breath on it though.

It seems to me that with the high deposits required the Signature models are meant as a partial funding mechanism. I think Tesla's goal would be to get you to buy another Signature model in the future, not to give former buyers lifetime access to the primary exclusive benefit of the Signature models. Not to mention they'd have to maintain that paint line throughout production to service a very small number of potential buyers.

It would be cool, but it seems very unlikely to me.

It seems to me that with the high deposits required the Signature models are meant as a partial funding mechanism. I think Tesla's goal would be to get you to buy another Signature model in the future, not to give former buyers lifetime access to the primary exclusive benefit of the Signature models. Not to mention they'd have to maintain that paint line throughout production to service a very small number of potential buyers.

I don't think anyone is suggesting a Signature Model S owner would get a Signature Model X (or 3) without being on the respective Signature list. Rather when/if they upgrade to another Model S (for say AWD, or parking sensors, or the P+ package) they would be able to keep some of their 'Signature' status.

I agree the paint would be difficult for them to offer. But if they create a custom/semi-custom paint booth it should be somewhat easy to accommodate this request.

I don't think anyone is suggesting a Signature Model S owner would get a Signature Model X (or 3) without being on the respective Signature list.
Right. Nor was I.

I guess I wasn't clear. My point was that Tesla has an interest in providing incentives for purchases of new Signature vehicles, which in the past the major incentive has been the exclusive color. This provided two benefits: Signature buyers get a unique benefit in exchange for being an early buyer, and Tesla can simplify the paint line by offering a limited color palate. If the Signature Red color was conveyed to anyone who has owned a Signature in the past, both of the above incentives are lost.

Is there some additional benefit to "Signature Status" beyond the color that makes it obvious your car is a Sig?

Last edited:
Right. Nor was I.

I guess I wasn't clear. My point was that Tesla has an interest in providing incentives for purchases of new Signature vehicles, which in the past the major incentive has been the exclusive color. This provided two benefits: Signature buyers get a unique benefit in exchange for being an early buyer, and Tesla can simplify the paint line by offering a limited color palate. If the Signature Red color was conveyed to anyone who has owned a Signature in the past, both of the above incentives are lost.

Is there some additional benefit to "Signature Status" beyond the color that makes it obvious your car is a Sig?

Tiny etching on the rear and the turn signals, and the dash says it (inside the speedo)

Right. Nor was I.

I would contend that the benefit to Tesla of getting me and many others to buy a new, upgraded Model S far outweighs the cost to them to provide the colour again. They had to re-tool back to Sig Red when the EU cars started shipping, and they managed it then, for example.

Model S Signature customers are a special category. The company was right on the brink of insolvency during Signature production. It took some courage to sign up then. It is that courage that I would think Tesla could reward in this way.

- - - Updated - - -

I mentioned the color retention thing on one of the threads months (years?) ago. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Pretty hard to stay out in front of you, Brian. :wink: I confess I have not read every one of your 11+k posts!

- - - Updated - - -

Every innovation Tesla has done has been "unlikely": The Roadster, The Model S skateboard, the Tesla Factory up and running in 3 years, Falcon Wing doors, the direct sales model, ranger service, superchargers, the gigafactory...

Tiny etching on the rear and the turn signals, and the dash says it (inside the speedo)

Well, yes, but ElSupreme above mentioned retaining "Signature status" without a Signature car, which essentially amounts to access to the color, correct?

I would contend that the benefit to Tesla of getting me and many others to buy a new, upgraded Model S far outweighs the cost to them to provide the colour again. They had to re-tool back to Sig Red when the EU cars started shipping, and they managed it then, for example.

Model S Signature customers are a special category. The company was right on the brink of insolvency during Signature production. It took some courage to sign up then. It is that courage that I would think Tesla could reward in this way.

Every innovation Tesla has done has been "unlikely": The Roadster, The Model S skateboard, the Tesla Factory up and running in 3 years, Falcon Wing doors, the direct sales model, ranger service, superchargers, the gigafactory...

But again, they were producing a batch of identical vehicles in the color, and then they stopped painting it again. It's not the same, and I can't say this is justifiable as an innovation on the level of anything else you mentioned, either.

Still, you basically reiterated my point in your second paragraph. The Signature models were meant as a way to collect funds, a financial incentive. If you give away one of the two primary benefits of the Signature cars (the other being early delivery) to an owner in perpetuity, there's no incentive for them to buy a Signature model in the future. And Tesla wants you to buy more Signature models in the future.

I could see it making sense if: 1) Tesla offered custom paint options along the lines of Porsche and others so the framework was in place, and 2) Access to the color only applied to generation and vehicle type you purchased (buy a Signature Model S in 2012, get a new 2013-2016 or whenever it's revised in Sig Red, but not a Model X or the next-gen S). That would make sense and would allow Signature buyers to keep the color, but get a newer car with the kinks worked out.

Still, you basically reiterated my point in your second paragraph. The Signature models were meant as a way to collect funds, a financial incentive. If you give away one of the two primary benefits of the Signature cars (the other being early delivery) to an owner in perpetuity, there's no incentive for them to buy a Signature model in the future. And Tesla wants you to buy more Signature models in the future.

Not if you limit Model S Signature owners to only Model S. There will never be any more Signature Model Ss. So it doesn't hurt Tesla trying to sell more Signatures for the X and 3 and beyond. In fact it makes them more desirable, as those people will attain perpetual 'Signature' status for any future versions of the X or 3.

You would still need to purchase the Signature vehicle, and thus Tesla gets the early sale, plus the sizable interest and liability free loan. Really the only cost to Tesla is the custom paint, which would be easy if they start selling custom/semi-custom paint jobs. Which they have done in the past, but haven't quite figured out the logistics of yet.

Not if you limit Model S Signature owners to only Model S. There will never be any more Signature Model Ss. So it doesn't hurt Tesla trying to sell more Signatures for the X and 3 and beyond. In fact it makes them more desirable, as those people will attain perpetual 'Signature' status for any future versions of the X or 3.

You would still need to purchase the Signature vehicle, and thus Tesla gets the early sale, plus the sizable interest and liability free loan. Really the only cost to Tesla is the custom paint, which would be easy if they start selling custom/semi-custom paint jobs. Which they have done in the past, but haven't quite figured out the logistics of yet.

I mean, I'm struggling here, so I apologize. How is that different than what I said in the paragraph directly below the one you pulled out here?

I could see it making sense if: 1) Tesla offered custom paint options along the lines of Porsche and others so the framework was in place, and 2) Access to the color only applied to generation and vehicle type you purchased (buy a Signature Model S in 2012, get a new 2013-2016 or whenever it's revised in Sig Red, but not a Model X or the next-gen S). That would make sense and would allow Signature buyers to keep the color, but get a newer car with the kinks worked out.

Presumably we were saying the same thing, again, unless I missed something.

I mean, I'm struggling here, so I apologize. How is that different than what I said in the paragraph directly below the one you pulled out here?

It's not really but it seems that myself and others aren't getting how that diminishes the desire to be a Signature owner in the future.

If you give existing Signature owners more benefits, it should increase the value of future Signature slots, not diminish them.

It sells more cars for Tesla. Existing Signature owners don't feel like they need to keep their car, they can buy a new one when improved options come out. I really don't see the downside for Tesla, other than maintaining Signature painting, and doodads into the future. Certainly things they could charge some nominal fee for if absolutely necessary.

It sells more cars for Tesla. Existing Signature owners don't feel like they need to keep their car, they can buy a new one when improved options come out. I really don't see the downside for Tesla, other than maintaining Signature painting, and doodads into the future. Certainly things they could charge some nominal fee for if absolutely necessary.

But that is nearly exactly what I said, isn't it?

What is the difference between this:

and this?

My two cents: A Signature should be a Signature. Meaning, it was one of the first cars produced for that model line. No 'well, the owner upgraded so...' business. Either it's a Signature or it's not.

I get that Signature owners don't want to let go of their status to get an upgraded version. But imo, that's a choice that has to be made. And these posts sound like people are trying to rationalize how they can keep everything, rather than accepting Signature is just the first cars of the model line. Period. Sometimes you have to let go of some of the toys in the sandbox. :) What's next? Do Founders get to keep their special status, no matter what else they're driving? "It's a Founder's Car." "No it's not, it's brand new." .... this just makes no sense to me.

But like I said. My opinion.

I would hope something like a discount on available hardware upgrades like power folding mirrors, parking sensors...etc could be offered but wouldn't expect a brand new Signature car either.

I think Tesla's goal would be to get you to buy another Signature model in the future, not to give former buyers lifetime access to the primary exclusive benefit of the Signature models.

My point was that Tesla has an interest in providing incentives for purchases of new Signature vehicles, which in the past the major incentive has been the exclusive color.

Well, yes, but ElSupreme above mentioned retaining "Signature status" without a Signature car, which essentially amounts to access to the color, correct?

If you give away one of the two primary benefits of the Signature cars (the other being early delivery) to an owner in perpetuity, there's no incentive for them to buy a Signature model in the future. And Tesla wants you to buy more Signature models in the future.

All of these is what I was getting hung up on. The first post implied a Signature Model S owner, would purchase a new AWD Model S and retain 'Signature' status. So access to the 'Signature Red' color, the little chrome bits with 'Signature' on them, and the UI with 'Signature' icons on them, perhaps with special headliner to remove the rear reading lamps :redface:. You seemed to assume that it would allow future 'Signature' access to other models. This is what I was trying to point out.

So your later paragraph is what is being proposed.

I see this a something that Tesla could easily accomplish. Given their attempts of offering custom/semi-custom paint, this would be something they could offer as a major perk.

All of these is what I was getting hung up on. The first post implied a Signature Model S owner, would purchase a new AWD Model S and retain 'Signature' status. So access to the 'Signature Red' color, the little chrome bits with 'Signature' on them, and the UI with 'Signature' icons on them, perhaps with special headliner to remove the rear reading lamps :redface:. You seemed to assume that it would allow future 'Signature' access to other models. This is what I was trying to point out.

Ahh, misunderstandings all around, then.

Still, I didn't exactly assume it:

What if they instituted "The Eternal Signature Status?" What if Signature Model S buyers would forever have that status as special customers, independent of their current physical car? The most visible and valuable way to bestow this recognition would be for such customers to be able to order any future Tesla Model in the original, gorgeous, envied, Signature Red.
(emphasis mine)

If you give away one of the two primary benefits of the Signature cars (the other being early delivery) to an owner in perpetuity, there's no incentive for them to buy a Signature model in the future. And Tesla wants you to buy more Signature models in the future.

AFAIK, there will never be another Sig S produced even for the next-gen model. It wouldn't make sense. I don't think allowing Sig owners to upgrade and keep their Sig trim will dissuade anyone from buying the Sig brand again. That's not to say that Tesla hasn't done other things to piss off Sig owners that would preclude them from buying in the future...

I would hope something like a discount on available hardware upgrades like power folding mirrors, parking sensors...etc could be offered but wouldn't expect a brand new Signature car either.

Done deal. And how about the biggest upgrade of them all - the battery.