Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DFW Solar Tour, Saturday, October 4, 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bollar

Disgruntled Member
May 1, 2013
Southlake, TX
You may have seen my general invitation to attend the National Solar Tour coming up in October. I am on the organizing committee for DFW and I wanted to invite my North Texas friends to participate either as hosts or volunteers.

"Solar Tour" is a bit of a misnomer, as we want to show all types of energy innovation across the Metroplex. That includes solar, wind energy, geothermal heating & cooling, water conservation, energy efficiency, and other sustainable technologies (such as EVs, of course).

TO HOST: In short, have a residence or business with "green" features and be willing to enthusiastically share your personal experiences from 10a-4p on October 4. The long version is here: Volunteering - DFW Solar Tour

TO VOLUNTEER: Not able to host? No problem! We're also looking for volunteers who can help guide visitors at some of our locations (sometimes at residences where the homeowner isn't able to articulate the specifics of the technologies they're using, but more often at commercial sites, such as the Irving Public Library, where staff aren't available to show off the features of the building. This is also a great way to show-off your Tesla! We have found that EVs are a big draw, so if you'd like to talk about your car with a bunch of potentially green-minded people, this is an awesome opportunity.

Not in DFW? No problem. The Solar Tour is national, and Austin, Houston & San Antonio all have local versions of the Tour.

Otherwise, please save the date and make a point of visiting some of our hosts. We expect 30-50 homes across the Metroplex this year, so I'm sure you'll find an interesting home near you.

We're still updating the site for 2014, but nonetheless, here's the link: DFW Solar Tour

If you want to know more, drop me a PM and I'll be happy to fill you in!

Can you link me to info on the Austin event? I'm not sure I found the right site searching online. I wouldn't mind hosting at our free solar sail car charging station.

IMG_0112-s.jpg

All,

Another tour update. We have almost fifty homes & businesses signed up to show off their energy efficiency & other sustainable technologies at this year's DFW Solar Tour. DFW Solar Tour

Our current count shows at least six Model S & Roadsters on display in Dallas, Farmers Branch, Irving, Lewisville & Southlake -- plus a bunch of other interesting homes all over the Metroplex. I hope you'll set aside some time to visit a few! If you come to ours (Bollar House - DFW Solar Home Tour), take the opportunity to exercise those dual chargers and top off from our 80 amp HPWC.

Also, would you like to show off your Tesla? We can hook you up with an otherwise forlorn host with heaps of sustainable technologies, but as of yet, no awesome EV. Drop me a line and we'll find someone appropriate for you!

Only two weeks until the 5th DFW Solar Tour, sponsored, in part, by TALOT Home Page - Take a Load Off Texas

We're pleased to announce that Southlake and Flower Mound's City Councils have proclaimed Saturday, October 4 as "DFW Solar Tour Day!"

Here's a Tesla-owner on the tour. You may have seen him on TV, as he had to fight his HOA to get solar. As a result of his work, Flower Mound has one of the solar-friendly ordinances in the Metroplex: Squyres House - DFW Solar Home Tour

Having Solar is a great way to eliminate CO2 and your energy bill. We had to expand 3 years in a row to get to NET-ZERO - meaning we have no electricity bill. We use more energy than most homes: having electric vehicles, using the AC like crazy, and kids on TV's & computers.

Solar makes economic sense, because you get a 30% tax credit and your energy provider pays for the majority of the cost (Oncor in our case.) They paid for a 10 kilowatt system (3 years in a row,) giving us a 30 kw total system. We have 102 Solar panels on our roof and 32 in our yard. This has made us NET-ZERO now and we LOVE it!

Squyres-02-G.jpg

Last edited:
Only thirteen days until the 5th DFW Solar Tour, sponsored, in part, by http://www.universalrenewable.com

Here's a house that's completely off-grid! Yes, through wind & solar, this homeowner has cut his ties from the utility. He's out in Weatherford, so if you go see it (and it's a great tour), your Tesla will surely be the only EV there: Renner House - DFW Solar Home Tour

My motivation is to reduce my carbon foot print and become Energy independent in the event of a power outage. The system has increased in size year by year to the point that it produces all our energy needs. We have been disconnected from the grid for 11 months now but still have it available for back up and have not had a need to switch it back on during this time period.

Renner-05-G.jpg

Only eleven days until the 5th DFW Solar Tour, sponsored, in part, by http://www.axiumsolar.com

If you're interested in leasing a solar array, you'll want to check out this Solar City installation in Dallas: Ortman House - DFW Solar Home Tour

As a homeowner, technologist and someone who is concerned about the environment, solar energy in all its forms has long been viewed as part of the solution. During a heavy remodel of our home that completed in the Summer of 2014, we took the opportunity to install as many Solar PV panels as would fit on the newly expanded roof.
Earlier consideration had been given to the outright purchase of a solar plant. However, after a friend suggested considering a power purchase agreement (PPA) I realized signing up with Solar City made a lot of sense for me at the time. The economics at the time were compelling.
We signed up for our PPA via a Solar City business partner, One Block Off the Grid (now Pure Energies), who is a dealer for Solar City.
Instead of a large the capital outlay, we were able to simply contract for a significant portion of our future energy needs at a fixed competitive price today.
Ortman-01-G.jpg

Only ten days until the 5th DFW Solar Tour, sponsored, in part, by http://www.longhornsolar.com

Big news today! Tesla Motors has confirmed they are sponsoring an Experience Model S Event at da Vinci School from 10a-5p! If you're not already a Model S owner, sign up today! http://www.teslamotors.com/event/experience-model-s-dallas-19

The da Vinci School is a fantastic tour: The da Vinci School - DFW Solar Home Tour

The da Vinci School is a science-based preschool and kindergarten program that has been in operation since 1987. We have operated with an eye to environmental awareness long before it was popular. When we designed our new facility, we examined every building material as well as the design features to create a healthy building – as free of toxic materials that could pose any health risk to our young students.

In addition, we wanted to play our part in the front end – how many resources does it take to keep this facility operational – as well as how can we use this building as a teaching tool for the students and the community. This plants the seed of sustainability for the future. While there are certainly financial benefits, we felt the message that we convey is more important.

The renewable energy features that we have are performing beyond our expectations. Since we enrolled in Green Mountain Energy’s buyback program, we are able to see that each month we are able to generate more than 100% of our needs on certain days. This was unexpected and certainly delights us to know that many days we may be generating 80 or 90% of our energy needs from renewables! Since we enrolled in this program (May, 2012) we have received some amount of rebate every month.

DavinciSchool-01-G.jpg

Last edited:
Only nine days until the 5th DFW Solar Tour, sponsored, in part, by http://www.txses.org/solar/

Is solar not enough for you? How about adding ground source heat pumps, home automation, insulated ductwork and more to make this Plano home extremely energy efficient: Neukranz House - DFW Solar Home Tour

East Plano located 3400 sq. ft. single story residence on heavily shaded one-half acre lot, constructed in 1992. This home utilizes natural light and an open floor plan including a large porch to maximize space, functionality and spaciousness. Located near public greenbelts, parks, trail system and mass transit. $62/mo average heating/cooling monthly cost in spite of Dallas hot climate and using electricity for heating.

Neukranz-01-G.jpg

Attachments

• Neukranz-03-T.jpg
    Neukranz-03-T.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 149
Only ten days until the 5th DFW Solar Tour, sponsored, in part, by http://www.longhornsolar.com

Big news today! Tesla Motors has confirmed they are sponsoring a Model S Drive Event at da Vinci School from 10a-5p! If you're not already a Model S owner, sign up today! http://www.teslamotors.com/event/experience-model-s-dallas-19

The da Vinci School is a fantastic tour: The da Vinci School - DFW Solar Home Tour

View attachment 59947

I had the opportunity and pleasure to attend this building's tour last year, along with a Leaf owner.
And I had a chance to give a couple of folks a test ride and drive.

The facility is amazing for all the major and minor technical reasons, simply too many to list.
And one of the benefits of having such focused and insightful thinking is they have a huge waiting list for people who desire to have their kids enrolled there.
(...similar kinda problem Tesla has with the order and delivery time for the Model S and mounting reservation list for Model X)

Just proves the point: It does pay to Build the Better Mousetrap.

Only eight days until the 5th DFW Solar Tour! Thanks to our friends at North Texas Electric Auto Association

Are you the person who looks at my posts every day and thinks, ENOUGH.with.the.solar.panels? This is a Tesla board and I'm here for the Tesla Grin! Well, we haven't forgotten about you. The DFW Solar Tour, along with our friends at North Texas Electric Auto Association and Dallas Fort Worth Clean Cities - Electric Vehicles North Texas have you covered! Many of our Host Locations will have EVs and drivers ready to tell you all about them.

Be all about BEV Dogma and see the Models S, Roadster, Leafs, DIY VW Golf and other BEVs, or embrace your inner-Gandhi and check out the PHEV Volts and Hybrids as well. We have more than twenty locations with cars! Electric Vehicles (EVs) on the Tour - DFW Solar Home Tour

And, like I offered before, bring your Model S to our place and top off with 80 amps of solar goodness from our HPWC.

Bollar Tesla and Panels.jpg

Last edited:
Only one week to go until the 5th DFW Solar Tour, sponsored, in part, by TALOT Home Page - Take a Load Off Texas! Can you believe it?

Perhaps you heard me shilling the Tour on Chris Miles' House Talk Today program? The responsible adults were all down in Belton, at the Renewables Roundup, leaving me to do today's promotion. Check it out: HouseTalk Today

Today's site will satisfy many of our followers. This is the only home on the tour with a SolarCity installation and a Model S: ter Kuile House - DFW Solar Home Tour

Installing solar and coupling it with our Tesla Model S has enabled us to further offset our carbon footprint and helps us walk out some of our core values and beliefs…

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1411870031.087344.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1411870031.087344.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 126