Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior lighting and small iPhone dock & storage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I built a small drawer with a iPhone doc on top I also added accent lights inside with a dimmer so I can adjust the lights brightness. Here are some pics

Ok I'm adding more info and pictures.

Drawer I fist made a rectangle drawer the ides was to build it like old school wood matchbox. Then I used balsa wood to create the same angle as the center column.. (Used cardboard to get the angle) then I went to Home Depot and purchased indoor out door carpet and used contact cement to cover it.

i then used more balsa wood to creat the iPhone holder made a flat plank and elevated it in the fron with a small strip of balsa wood. Then on the back were the connector is I took two strips of balsa wood covered them then placed the lighting cable in between and screwed them together with black screens so the connector would not move. My phone fits perfectly with its case and dose not move. I then installed IOS8 beta so Siri is always listening and all I have to do is say Siri sent text, read email or what ever.

I used two angled USB one goes to the lighting cable for my iPhone the cable will not move the other USB I put a 3" extender and arched it to the side of the wood so I have another USB..

As for the lights I used a 12v adapter with a On/off switch and attached it to the dimmer then ran the wires for the front and back lights. (I do not like the dimmer wit works perfectly but when you shut the car off I have to turn the LEDs back on I may remove it)

all the the pictures and part pictures are included now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    563.6 KB · Views: 720
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    615.8 KB · Views: 690
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    759.7 KB · Views: 668
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 671
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    675 KB · Views: 897
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    600.1 KB · Views: 676
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 651
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    446.4 KB · Views: 652
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 637
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 635
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    742.2 KB · Views: 633
Last edited:
Can you please share what your lighting components and dimmer switch were and how you made your connection for power (it looks like USB). Are the lights manually activated or somehow tied to interior lighting controls?

Yes. Good questions.
Very unique and excellent approach. Great job!
At the same time, this is such a tease. Can you please provide much, much more details? How did you make that box? Was it a pre-fabricated box that you mod'd? What supplies, etc.? Of all the custom storage solutions, I like this one the best. The others posted here have mostly been purchased bags and boxes just dropped in. Very inelegant.
Please post details!!!

I added more pictures and explanation. See original post for pics

Ok I'm adding more info and pictures.

Drawer I fist made a rectangle drawer the ides was to build it like old school wood matchbox. Then I used balsa wood to create the same angle as the center column.. (Used cardboard to get the angle) then I went to Home Depot and purchased indoor out door carpet and used contact cement to cover it.

i then used more balsa wood to creat the iPhone holder made a flat plank and elevated it in the fron with a small strip of balsa wood. Then on the back were the connector is I took two strips of balsa wood covered them then placed the lighting cable in between and screwed them together with black screens so the connector would not move. My phone fits perfectly with its case and dose not move. I then installed IOS8 beta so Siri is always listening and all I have to do is say Siri sent text, read email or what ever.

I used two angled USB one goes to the lighting cable for my iPhone the cable will not move the other USB I put a 3" extender and arched it to the side of the wood so I have another USB..

As for the lights I used a 12v adapter with a On/off switch and attached it to the dimmer then ran the wires for the front and back lights. (I do not like the dimmer wit works perfectly but when you shut the car off I have to turn the LEDs back on I may remove it)

all the the pictures and part pictures are included now

Barry,

Thank you so much for the additional photos. I am very impressed. I haven't worked with wood in many years now, but that does not seem too difficult. Just time consuming.
I didn't quite understand the iphone dock explanation. Do you have any detailed photos of that?
Ideally, I would like to find a power source for the LEDs that ties into the existing accent lighting. This would be more automated, kind of light my trunk lights.

I will take some pics and better explain in a day or two... As for attaching lights so they are automatic I thought about that but I like the ambiance when I'm driving ... At the brightest I can see the light during they day and on medium it looks great at night