Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Coastal Route, Doable in an EV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I recently did a week-and-a-half coastal road trip along the California coast from the Santa Barbara area up through SLO & Morro Bay, Big Sur and up to Santa Cruz on Highway 1 (in an ICE car). It seems most of the initial Supercharger locations are along more heavily-traveled routes. Have any of you done this trip in a Model S, and how challenging was it to charge up along the way? Just curious. Thanks in advance for your replies.

My wife and I recently did a week-and-a-half coastal road trip along the California coast from the Santa Barbara area up through SLO & Morro Bay, Big Sur and up to Santa Cruz on Highway 1 (in an ICE car). It seems most of the initial Supercharger locations are along more heavily-traveled routes. Have any of you done this trip in a Model S, and how challenging was it to charge up along the way? Just curious. Thanks in advance for your replies.

I did the drive from Gilroy to Atascadero via Big Sur, etc in my 85 last March. Because the average speeds are low along most of the coastal highway, it was a pretty easy drive on a single charge.

Big Sur IMG_0331 sm.jpg

You can always charge at Buellton, go up to Morro Bay, then dart over to Atascadero, charge, then return to Morro Bay to continue your journey. The drive takes about 20 minutes (one way) and places you right at the Supercharger in Atascadero.

After picking up my 85 in Freemont, I did a range charge in Gilroy and headed down the coast. I did the 17mi scenic drive plus made a couple of major wrong turns and stopped in at Hearst Castle--in other words, not the most direct route down Highways 1. I made it to Pismo beach with 20 RM to spare and charged over night at the the Cliffs Resort there. They have 2 HPWC units on the East side of the building. The rest of the trip to LA was a cake walk thanks to the Buellton supercharger. It's a fun drive -- enjoy.

Going south, I did Fremont to Atascadero (on 101) very easy. Going north, I range charged in Buellton and then headed up Hwy 1. I charged at Ventana (Level 2 J1772) and easily made it to Monterrey, which has lots of charging locations and isn't far from the Gilroy supercharger
Big Sur.jpg

I also did the Highway 1 trip from southern California using Atascadero as the launching point to then drive up the coast and stay in Carmel for a couple of nights. Started with a range charge at Atascadero and arrived in Carmel with about 128 rated miles. Then trickle charged at the hotel throughout those two days as well as did one 6 hour charge at the J1772 near the Monterrey Bay Aquarium. Did some touring through 17 mile drive and as well as local driving and then drove back south on Highway 1 with stops in Atascadero and Buellton once again. Absolutely no issues with range because you really can't go very fast at all on Highway 1.