Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bugs in Tail Light!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody had this issue besides me? Going in for my annual service tomorrow and asked them to remove the bugs and seal it so they can't get in. They didn't do it the last time they had the car so we'll see if they can this time.

photo (4).JPG

• Funny
Reactions: Fresh Start Detail
A year ago, I had the backup lights re-sealed due to moisture getting in. After that, I no longer had moisture, but dirt was getting inside. They re-did the seals again with a supposedly re-designed seal last week. Not sure how much of the lens they remove to do this, but it may be possible to pop it open, remove the bugs and re-seal with the new and improved seals.

That picture seriously made me laugh out loud! We can tell this bothers you quite a bit to go through all the effort to write it on the tape.
I'd be interested in other's input on disassembling the lights to clean inside then reseal. We see the moisture problem quite a bit here in the soggy Pacific NW.

That picture seriously made me laugh out loud! We can tell this bothers you quite a bit to go through all the effort to write it on the tape.
I'd be interested in other's input on disassembling the lights to clean inside then reseal. We see the moisture problem quite a bit here in the soggy Pacific NW.

the problem with that would be the chrome rear applique that is double sided taped on and is easily damaged during removal

the problem with that would be the chrome rear applique that is double sided taped on and is easily damaged during removal
100%.
My Model S's right tail light was replaced due to 'bugs' during the most recent service appaointment.
Under warranty, no problem.
IMG_0090.JPG

The techs damaged exactly that applique in the process and returned the car that way. (It already was the new design to mitigate previous damp issues.) Of course the applique was replaced after my complaint, but the car shouldn't have been returned with the damaged applique to begin with.
IMG_1649.JPG

IMG_1650.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: Fresh Start Detail
I talked with the service center this morning and the quote is to replace both taillights they don't flush or reseal them. One hour labor for $175 and the lights are $243 x 2 and the rear applique replacement $208. I think I'm going to try and do it myself @ home and if it breaks or whatnot I can fork over the $1,000.

You're quoute was not so bad then, had the same question a while ago: 1500€, car is also out of warranty (higher mileage)

Craziest thing is: the guy from the SeC told me that it actually was a 'design feature', as the lights are cooled due to air (and consequently bugs) being able to come in. They won't break as fast he said. He went on to tell me that even if I would pay the 1500€ for the replacement (lights + new applique), I would still get new bugs eventually, so I kindly declined.
I thought that since the problem was so widespread and that all cars have this, they would repair it under goodwill, but unfortunately that wasn't the case. Still bizar that the problem will keep on coming back.

Anyway, it isn't the worst thing in the world, and I won't like driving my car any less because of it, still an amazing car. But to me this is a design flaw, not really a feature to have a bug cemetery in your lights ;).