Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scroll Wheel Sensitivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pgiralt

Supporting Member
Jun 16, 2013
Cary, NC
I'm driving a 44XXX VIN loaner while my 156XX VIN MS is in for it's first annual service and I noticed that the scroll wheel on the loaner is much better than the one in my car. On my car, each "click" of the scroll wheel doesn't match up with one up or down selection and I find it annoying. On this loaner, the clicks match up perfectly. One click makes it go up or down by exactly one. Are all early VIN's the way mine is? I'm hoping the scroll wheels can be swapped out for the new ones.

The scroll wheels have always bugged me: it's difficult to get them to roll without triggering the click function, the detents don't match up with the motion of the options list, and to this day I always roll them in the wrong direction. VIN #00118.

I have a UK RHD car VIN 406XX. The scroll wheels are not great; frequently a single roll does nothing. And yes they definitely roll in the wrong direction (though this is also a Mac/PC and a tablet/desktop issue so I'm sure not everyone will agree!)

I have a UK RHD car VIN 406XX. The scroll wheels are not great; frequently a single roll does nothing. And yes they definitely roll in the wrong direction (though this is also a Mac/PC and a tablet/desktop issue so I'm sure not everyone will agree!)

I'm actually okay with the direction, but I've gotten pretty good at adapting to different people's settings on their Mac (my wife keeps her laptop opposite from mine), but surprised that even at VIN 40k the issue is present, but this 44k VIN definitely does not appear to have the issue.

On mine it's pretty much 1:1 except for the very first one that takes two to "wake it up".

Agree, I've found the first action wakes it, and I believe that was a software change at some point along the line. Hit it once, pause, then start scrolling to desired function.

I have also noticed the lag getting longer, which contributes to the perception that it's not synched up with actions. I seriously doubt that it is a hardware (physical scroll wheel) change. More likely to me that, compared to a new loaner, an "experienced" car like mine has many more preferences, media, locations, settings, wi-fi connections, bluetooth connections, and goodness knows what else to process. Like all computers with multiple processes running and accumulating data, parameters, etc. over time, stuff just gets slower because there's more going on. Maybe a reboot might help make it more brisk - haven't had one in many months. But probably not.

Hmmm, doesn't look like it's working perfectly. I notice when you were changing volume it sometimes took several clicks to make the volume change by one unit.

the reason I'm waking up this thread is that I just took delivery of a 70D and, while I am incredibly impressed with just about everything in the car, the scroll wheels are driving me nuts. The fist issue is figuring out exactly what they are supposed to do between various permutations of clicks and rolls. But that can be learned. The bigger problems I have is with the need to move through multiple clicks to make a change. I thought maybe it was just my car but since it happens on both the left and the right I thought I would dig deeper and find out if anyone else was having problems.

My thought is that the scroll wheels are simple rotary switches that set off one pulse train when moving in one direction, and another when moving in the other. I've worked with rotary switches before and, depending upon when the switch circuitry is sampled, clicks can be missed or even mis-interpreted and go in the wrong direction. It's a very cheap way to build a circuit. I'm surprised that Tesla would use a circuit like this to implement such a core driver interface component.

I have a P85D and when I turn the wheel it seems to take 2-3 clicks to make the volume go up by one number, like 5->6. But it seems to me like the actual volume does go up even when the number doesn't.

Personally I wish they would do a Nigel Tufnel volume that is one louder and goes to 11.

I have a P85D and when I turn the wheel it seems to take 2-3 clicks to make the volume go up by one number, like 5->6. But it seems to me like the actual volume does go up even when the number doesn't.

Personally I wish they would do a Nigel Tufnel volume that is one louder and goes to 11.

Did they remove this? It used to go to 11. When the car was first delivered each click made the volume go up and down one number if I recall correctly, but only having 11 settings was much too rough. Now there are indents between each number for finer volume control.