Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hurricanes Iselle and Julio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Too bad we can't use the Tesla to provide our houses electricity if HECO should go down. The battery could provide a few days worth of electricity if used sparingly.

This is a good point. I was actually thinking that if my iPhone runs low on charge, I could recharge in the Tesla for a very very long time, unless I have to drive a lot as well.

Just got back from a glorious 10 days on the big island (Hilton Waikoloa), am thinking about all of you. I hope the storms both weaken and move away from the islands.

Wow, you got out of here just in the nick of time. And thanks.
When the power goes out, I got out to the garage and get in my MS and turn the A/C. Cool with great music. Last time it happened, I slept in there from 10:30 to 3:30 a.m. All I have to do is keep her charged up. Those 5 hours cost me only 3 miles of range. Really.

Wow, you got out of here just in the nick of time. And thanks.
When the power goes out, I got out to the garage and get in my MS and turn the A/C. Cool with great music. Last time it happened, I slept in there from 10:30 to 3:30 a.m. All I have to do is keep her charged up. Those 5 hours cost me only 3 miles of range. Really.

I have always wanted Tesla to offer a 10 kW inverter with a 14-50 outlet or a 6 kW inverter with a 14-30 outlet as an option for the MS and future MX. An option like this would be wonderful for emergency use like you may be facing, camping, other remote power uses, and helping other Tesla owners who pushed the range too far; the donor Tesla could offer an emergency charge to the stranded Tesla and the stranded Tesla would avoid a flatbed.

I have always wanted Tesla to offer a 10 kW inverter with a 14-50 outlet or a 6 kW inverter with a 14-30 outlet as an option for the MS and future MX. An option like this would be wonderful for emergency use like you may be facing, camping, other remote power uses, and helping other Tesla owners who pushed the range too far; the donor Tesla could offer an emergency charge to the stranded Tesla and the stranded Tesla would avoid a flatbed.

Wow!! This would be amazing!!!

Iselle900.jpg

Looks like it's gonna be a wet and windy night for our friends on the Big Island. Best wishes!

So our IT guy made all of us unplug our computers at work to protect from a power surge..got me wondering if the same could happen to my car? am charging it now then unplugging it...just in case

Never thought about that - I just sent an email to ownership to ask. I use the regular 110V outlet at night to charge, so conceptually I could plug the MWC into a surge protector. However, since most owners charge using 240V/14-50, I would think the MWC has a built in surge protection somehow, since I've never seen a 240V surge protector at Home Depot. :confused:

Will report back with their response.

Stay safe & dry everyone - especially those on the Big Island.

I stayed awake most of Thursday night and into Friday morning to watch the interaction of Iselle and Hawaii's tall volcanic mountains. Iselle slowed to a crawl as it approached the Big Island and then it eventually cozied up close to the side of Mauna Loa, where it remained for more than five hours. The closer it got to the side of Mauna Loa, the more of the western end of the hurricane was chopped off by the mountain. By mid morning, Iselle had beat itself silly on the side of Mauna Loa and had little wind left. Interestingly, I kept checking wind speeds through the night at Kona Airport, and they were typically less than 10 miles per hour (8 knots). We have the Big Island's mountains to thank for slaying Iselle.