Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 Months and 19K Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 4 months (3 full months) and 18,776 Miles driving the Model S has been great. The first week I had it I hit a curb and got a new wheel so now I have a full spare in the front trunk, no jack or tools yet. My HPWC needed the updated breaker which was done when I got my new wheel put on. I have the Anti-Glare screen protector but I haven't gotten around to installing it yet. The standard config should be with twin chargers and supercharging. Doing around 290 miles per-day in my S60 the twin and supercharging have come in very handy not to mention road trips. I feel 80amp charging is a must if only to help future proof. The interface is somewhat cumber some and limiting. swiping left or right to change from NAV to the Media would be nice. Also having a tri-screen might be interesting such as the bottom half is NAV and the top half is split between basic stop/play, skip and dialer or contacts listed. GET RID OF SLIDERS, the fan sliders and audio sliders I always hit a bump and mess it up, could just be me but hitting a stationary button that has one function would be much easier. Most of my issues can be fixed with software, although it might not get changed. No deal breakers as of yet. GREAT CAR AND GREAT COMMUNITY ONLINE AND OFF.

Wow, and I thought I was driving a lot! How are you racking up all those miles on a 60? What's your commute like?

I got my 85 exactly 7 months ago today, and I'm just shy of 25k miles. My commute is very random. I don't go to the same places everyday and I almost always end the day with 60 or less rated miles left in the pack. About once or twice a week ill have to charge during the day in order to complete my commute.

Are you going to do all of the inspections? I did the first one, but I'm thinking it might make more sense to just do every other one. If I did every inspection I would have to have to do 3 or 4 inspections a year. Feels like over kill.

Sorry for all the questions, I just haven't met anyone that puts the miles on like me. Figured you're probably thinking or doing a lot of the same things I'm doing.

There've been a couple of people posting recently who are racking up very large mileages on 60kWh cars. Obviously it's great that the lower capacity car can work for this sort of use case, but I'm intrigued about car choice in particular because of battery warranty terms.

Lots of people advise getting the 85kWh version if you can afford it because it makes the car more flexible, less stressful on road trips etc but in reality for someone doing 60k miles a year surely the difference between a 125k mile (i.e. 2 year) battery warranty and an unlimited mile (i.e. 8 year) battery warranty is huge. @trigga71 how long do you expect to own the car for? Would you dispose of it at say 100k miles or will you run it up to 200 or 300k+ miles?

At 1800 miles after 6 weeks I am not about to win any mileage prizes :)

I don't regret not getting the 85kWh,the warranty would be nice and for me the only selling point of 85kWh, putting aside the performance increase. The extra range would have come in handy one road trip so far. When the Supercharger goes up it won't matter anymore, its the Greenville SC, stuck in construction for some reason. We could have used the my Model S but with 3 kids we didn't feel like waiting around to charge at slower rates. When doing the actual road trips (not daily commute) I didn't find the 60kWh to be stressful and at least once a week I get stuck in traffic from an accident. I don't recall what remaining mileage we had on the road trips but we used the supercharging network the whole way with no issues. I expect to keep the car for the long haul. My (ex)Prius had around 300K miles on it and it was still going strong and never replaced its main battery, in fact I only did the brakes and tires.. and recalls.

My set round trip is 288 miles 5 days a week. Not including what I do once I get back in the home area, which isn't much maybe 100 miles over the weekend. I charge at home daily to around 90% arrive at a public charge and got to roughly 90% then back home. Starting with 188 miles rated range and usually ending each trip with around 30 miles. I try to keep speeds around 75-80mph anything over 85mph and it starts to show you were having fun.

I have only done 1 inspection so far, Ill probably do another as construction is on going on my route so the road is rough in some spots.

I do wish the Media would play video files and browser would support HTML5 for video as well. I know it can decode video files to a degree as it plays the audio from some video files I have tried..

Last edited:
About video: This is a legal issue, and one that I almost wish they would find a happy medium for. It would be nice if it could play video when it is in park at least... Maybe not through the 3G connection, but something...

I heard way back when that they were supposed to be moving the in car browser to Chrome, likely a heavily modified version of it. But if you ever do an indepth browser test for the different compatibilities you will see that they basically stripped all of the video stuff out. The browser does support HTML5, just not the video piece. I don't know if it is technically possible to make it so when the car is in park you get unlocked capabilities... but it would be a nice compromise between meeting legal requirements while still allowing normal browsing while the car is in motion.

I would settle for in park only video player. Even when supercharging late at night or early morning places haven't opened yet.

@islandbayy: Did you opt in for the extended service agreement? How's the new battery going?

I would settle for in park only video player. Even when supercharging late at night or early morning places haven't opened yet.

@islandbayy: Did you opt in for the extended service agreement? How's the new battery going?

No, should have, will make the decision by the end of the road trip next week, as that will have me at about 44000 miles after in town driving and what not on the trip. leaning tword a it.