Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pets, property, atmospheric pressure, Gandhi, sheriff stars and princesses.....Oh my!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
It's your dog, it's your car, it's your problem and responsibility.

Not ok for strangers to immediately assume the car is too hot and you are killing the dog. IMO .
Agree with the underlined. Disagree with the rest.

As a community living in relatively close proximity (compared to 1 person per 1000 miles or whatever), we're somewhat all responsible for the well being of pets and, um, "trunk midgets" that can't help themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

You didn't miss it, but I didn't see it discussed...
  • Leave a thermometer so someone passing by can see the actual temp,
Temperature is one concern. How about humidity, pressure, oxygen?

I think people are just getting more and more ridiculous these days.

A kid is one thing... and I can forgive people for doing stupid things looking out for the kids. A dog? Not so much.

Reminds me of a funny time watching TV with my family. Some funny video show. A video came on where a guy got kicked over by a horse, causing both the horse and the man to fall forward. My sister's honest to God reaction was "OMG! Is the horse OK?!" And if this were a live situation, and someone was calling a vet for the horse before 911 for the man... then sorry humanity, all is lost. All is lost.

People need to get their priorities in order. There are seriously much more important things to worry about than what other people do with their property.

Last edited:
I think people are just getting more and more ridiculous these days... People need to get their priorities in order. There are seriously much more important things to worry about than what other people do with their property.

I couldn't disagree more. Your pets may be your "property" but unlike other property you own, they are living, breathing and feeling and if you cut them, they bleed. We really need not be so callous when it comes to another living being. They have just as much a right to life as a human being, which is nothing more than the higher primate.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

Temperature is one concern. How about humidity, pressure, oxygen?

I'm not talking about leaving my dog for hours ... and he's a lab. That means if the temp is 70 deg F and it's raining inside the X, he'll be happy, especially if it is deep enough to swim. Since a window will always be slightly open, regardless, pressure & oxygen will be normalized. As I believe it would be anyway, with the AC running.

(This is what I mean by sometimes going too far, bman ...)

- - - Updated - - -

And let me be completely clear here. Those of you who know me, know I'd cut off a limb before putting one of my dogs in any danger. On a road trip, I'd never leave my dog anywhere dangerous, even if I were monitoring the vehicle. I love my animals completely.

All of this discussion should be assumed to have the words 'common sense' hovering above it. Let's not wordsmith this to death, please.

I couldn't disagree more. Your pets may be your "property" but unlike other property you own, they are living, breathing and feeling and if you cut them, they bleed. We really need not be so callous when it comes to another living being. They have just as much a right to life as a human being, which is nothing more than the higher primate.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

I think wk057 was just advocating that you should put human life first. I don't think he is advocating going around and kicking dogs or some crazy nonsense. If I had to choose I would always pick saving a child vs saving an animal. Even if it was my own animal vs some random stranger's child.

I think wk057 was just advocating that you should put human life first. I don't think he is advocating going around and kicking dogs or some crazy nonsense. If I had to choose I would always pick saving a child vs saving an animal. Even if it was my own animal vs some random stranger's child.

Correct.

I'm not talking about leaving my dog for hours ... and he's a lab. That means if the temp is 70 deg F and it's raining inside the X, he'll be happy, especially if it is deep enough to swim. Since a window will always be slightly open, regardless, pressure & oxygen will be normalized. As I believe it would be anyway, with the AC running.

(This is what I mean by sometimes going too far, bman ...)
Point of clarification:
For the passerby "helpers", I'm not sure temperature is the only concern. As for the protocol of what to display, I think a sign with a phone number is enough.

Of course. But I was responding to this...

There are seriously much more important things to worry about than what other people do with their property.

Btw, nobody has found a verifiable source for the Ghandi quote and the nearest documented quote seemed to be referring to cows.

I highly doubt he was only referring only to cows. Here's a quote from his autobiography:

I hold today the same opinion as I held then. To my mind, the life of a lamb is no less precious than that of a human being. I should be unwilling to take the life of a lamb for the sake of the human body. I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man. - An Autobiography, the Story of My Experiments

Of course. But I was responding to this...
People need to get their priorities in order. There are seriously much more important things to worry about than what other people do with their property.

Regardless of how people want to elevate the value of a pet, pets are in fact personal property under the law pretty much everywhere it matters, regardless of what other attributes people want to place on them, with many precedents set confirming this.

Sure, we now have animal cruelty laws and other such generally over-hyped nonsense to go along with this in some places, none of which I'm against in principal. (I disagree with the possible penalties for some of these laws, and how they can be abused, but that's a discussion for another time.)

But if I see a dog in someone else's car with the windows up in the sun in the middle of a blacktop parking lot somewhere, even in Arizona or Florida in the middle of summer... sorry, but, it's just not that important. If the owner doesn't care enough about their pet to worry about it, then unless you somehow plan on permanently becoming that pet's owner immediately, legally one way or another, then you shouldn't get involved either. It's just none of your business, leave it be. Again, I don't advocate this or other harm to a pet, but, it's really none of my business to involve myself. Seriously folks, it's a dog. It's not your dog. Leave it alone.

A kid on the other hand, I'll hang out for a minute and give the idiot parent a chance to return and get a lecture before calling the authorities.

I highly doubt he was only referring only to cows. Here's a quote from his autobiography:

I hold today the same opinion as I held then. To my mind, the life of a lamb is no less precious than that of a human being. I should be unwilling to take the life of a lamb for the sake of the human body. I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man. - An Autobiography, the Story of My Experiments

That about being a vegetarian, I don't think it's relevant to this discussion.

Oy. Are we going just a *tad* too far here? Maybe? Just a little bit over the line? Interpretation of Gandhi's intent, air pressure readings, etc. C'mon.

We all love our pets. I believe the intent of the thread was how best to leave your pet safely for a short period of time. And I think that has been well covered, as demonstrated by how well we are now going off the rails.

Brianman:
The atmospheric pressure and oxygen will be virtually the same as the surrounding outside air. The only concern is temperature.
Thanks for the follow-up. That was my understanding as well. That doesn't necessarily mean the average concerned citizen knows that the dog won't run out of air in 20 minutes or whatever.

My point: Windows open (even slightly cracked) even the most paranoid folks can "get" as "ok" but "AC is on" not so much.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, who gets the credit for the very entertaining thread title? It deserves a sheriff star.

Status
Not open for further replies.